Mirena and weight loss

Options
Ok so I'm curious if any woman have trouble losing weight and also have the mirena iud??? A close friend had some bad side effects from the mirena and recently took it out, besides being depressed and having mood swing's she wasn't losing any weight since the mirena was put in, and she works out like crazy and eats healthy, and has never had trouble losing weight before. So we both did some research on it and it seems a lot of woman have trouble losing weight... I never put the 2 together but MAYBE that is why it's SOOO hard for me to lose weight. I work out a lot and log in all my food (feel free to look its public) I usually stay around any where from 1200 to 1800...maybe A couple bad days a month, but even then its no more then 2400. And I work out at least 4 days a week. I know if I have 1200 to 1300 a week I can lose 1 to 2 lbs, but with working out I always consume more because Im starving. Anyways long story short, is anyone having or has had the same issue? :smile:

Replies

• seasha86
    Options
    I have the mirena and haven't had any trouble losing weight! I guess its different with everybody.
  • seasha86
    Options
    I have the mirena and haven't had any trouble losing weight! I guess its different with everybody.
  • christina1109
    Options
    I did. I was on it for about 4 months a few years ago. I couldn't lose weight, but I also didn't seem to gain any either. It also caused other bad side effects like the depression. It was actually the first time in my life I had EVER had a suicidal thought pass through my head. I called the Dr. that day to schedule an appointment to have it removed. The ONLY birth control I've been able to use that hasn't affected my mood in a negative way is Yaz, it did affect me physically though, I started having symptoms of a heart attack.
  • amysj303
    amysj303 Posts: 5,086 Member
    Options
    weird, I had never heard that, I associated my weight gain with quitting smoking but I also go Mirena about the same time, so maybe it contributed? I'll never know, I guess.
  • nurse_jenie
    Options
    I gained about 10 pounds after having mine put in but other than that I have had a great experience. I have not been trying to lose weight for that long but so far I have had no problems losing weight.
  • Sherry1979
    Options
    I've never had the Mirena but I used the Implanon (inserted into upper arm, good for 3 years). I became so severely depressed that I to this day believe if I hadn't had it taken out early I would not be alive right now. I also gained 35 lbs within the first 6 months I had it. . .that could have been from the depression or the actual hormones in the Implanon, never really knew for sure because the ob/gyn I was going to swore to me that my problems could not have been from the Implanon and talked me out of having it removed once & then went I went back again in a few months he still tried to convince me. Even though after I had it removed all my symptoms went away within a month (well except for the weight I had already gained). So I don't know all the similarities and differences in it and the Mirena but I do know that type of stuff can really mess with people. . .maybe some do fine with it just like my doctor was sure that I would but it does affect everyone differently!!!
  • wyld4eva
    wyld4eva Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    My niece has mirena and she has had an increased weight, she constantly feels hungry, and she is depressed and moody. So yes I do believe it may be a problem for weight loss.

I always take the chance to look at food diary's when they are open for the public to try to get lunch and dinner ideas, the one thing I did notice is that your sodium intake is high, that will cause you to retain water. I went on a low sodium 1700 or less per day I lost 6lbs in one week. Now I don't say that was definately all from the salt but I am sure it was a big help dropping the sodium level. I hope this is not offensive, just something I noticed and have had experience on.
  • stfuandrun
    stfuandrun Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    I had the Mirena "installed" a couple of years ago. I gained about 15 lbs, turned into a psycho woman, and became incredibly depressed. I stuck it out for 9 months before having it removed. It just wasn't for me.
  • mandyfaith
    Options
    Thank's everyone! I know the mirena effects everyone one diffrently, I havnt been depressed or anything. Maybe Im just not working hard enough...who knows. Oh but wyld4eva I just added my sodium on there, never have payed attention before, so Im definaltly going to keep track on that :) Thank's!!!
  • wyld4eva
    wyld4eva Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    I also forgot to mention, I have been eating at least 5 grams of fiber if not more with each meal and that has aided on my weight loss recently....Good Luck
  • alicedavison
    Options
    I've never had the Mirena but I used the Implanon (inserted into upper arm, good for 3 years). I became so severely depressed that I to this day believe if I hadn't had it taken out early I would not be alive right now. I also gained 35 lbs within the first 6 months I had it. . .that could have been from the depression or the actual hormones in the Implanon, never really knew for sure because the ob/gyn I was going to swore to me that my problems could not have been from the Implanon and talked me out of having it removed once & then went I went back again in a few months he still tried to convince me. Even though after I had it removed all my symptoms went away within a month (well except for the weight I had already gained). So I don't know all the similarities and differences in it and the Mirena but I do know that type of stuff can really mess with people. . .maybe some do fine with it just like my doctor was sure that I would but it does affect everyone differently!!!

i had this exact same experiance!!!!! its was the lowest point of my life ever, i couldn't talk or get out of bed, i wanted to kill myself in th ebath tub at one point and no one not family or my partner could bring m out of this low. before i had the implanon put in my arm is was sooooo happy and postive finally after year i decided t have it taken out and a day later i was the real me again.
  • Aeriel
    Aeriel Posts: 864 Member
    Options
    I've had it i for about 4 months now, and my weight loss is continuing. I do notice that I am extremely sensitive to sodium levels now and bloat easily. So far the mood swings/depression hasn't been noticed, but I will watch for it.
  • sophieg77
    Options

i had this exact same experiance!!!!! its was the lowest point of my life ever, i couldn't talk or get out of bed, i wanted to kill myself in th ebath tub at one point and no one not family or my partner could bring m out of this low. before i had the implanon put in my arm is was sooooo happy and postive finally after year i decided t have it taken out and a day later i was the real me again.

I too had this EXACT experience with the stupid rod. I got it taken out after 18months because It was making me so depressed. I ate to feel better and I seriously think it contributed to my weight gain. I have had a whole range of contraception before the Rod and while each of them add their differing problems the rod was the worst. not to mention the constant spotting and what that must have been doing to my Iron levels.

I too took it out and felt IMMEDIATELY better. happier, and got the motivation to go to the gym and eat right.

I am currently on Juliet, and don't have any problems with it or trying to loose weight on it, though I have only just started.

Sophie xoxo
  • amysj303
    amysj303 Posts: 5,086 Member
    Options
    Juliet? is that a type of birth control pill?
    I have had the Mirena for 4 years and it comes out next year, I am not sure I want to replace it with another.
    I had some mood swings initially but I figured it was my body regulating itself since the Mirena has so much fewer hormones than depo-provera, which I had been taking. I thought the Mirena was like no hormones at all, so I worry about going back on hormones.
  • mbollman
    mbollman Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I had the Mirena put in and gained a lot of weight (25 pounds) really quickly. I was also losing lots of hair and had sore breasts and dull cramping. No matter how I worked out I could not seem to take any weight off with it in. So I finally had it taken out last January. Since then I feel SOOOOO much better! Still working on taking off the weight. Slowly but surely. Some women have no problems with it...I didn't love it.
  • tinyliz
    tinyliz Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Thank's everyone! I know the mirena effects everyone one diffrently, I havnt been depressed or anything. Maybe Im just not working hard enough...who knows. Oh but wyld4eva I just added my sodium on there, never have payed attention before, so Im definaltly going to keep track on that :) Thank's!!!
    I have had Mirena for 2 1/2 years now and never had any of these problems. No weight loss or gain. My husband may argue with the crazy side effect though:laugh: Until I got on MFP I never realized how much I was overdoing certain foods. If you really want to see change then you need to truly push yourself past your limit. You will see change. If you think its the Mirena then take it out.
  • sophieg77
    Options
    Juliet? is that a type of birth control pill?
    I have had the Mirena for 4 years and it comes out next year, I am not sure I want to replace it with another.
    I had some mood swings initially but I figured it was my body regulating itself since the Mirena has so much fewer hormones than depo-provera, which I had been taking. I thought the Mirena was like no hormones at all, so I worry about going back on hormones.

Spot on, Juliet is a pill, and a generic form of Dianne. I am not sure if the brands are the same in the states though. I'm from Australia.

It's the best thing for me so far.