beginner at riding a bike

Options
So I recently bought a bike for cheap to help switch up my cardio. Is there anyone who took up bike riding for cardio? and if so how long did it take you untill you built up a bit of endurance.

I can't go very far or very fast as of right now but I love that it is something new and something that I can get better at.

Replies

• _Resolve_
    _Resolve_ Posts: 735 Member
    Options
    I bought my bike about 2 months ago when I lost my first 100, my first ride i struggled to do 5 miles. Now I can ride 30 or so on the road with a mountain bike and still have more gas. Mountain biking is a bit harder, but I can now take on intermediate trails and feel comfortable for hours.
  • SaraA07
    SaraA07 Posts: 43
    Options
    great to know. thanks!!!!
  • Birder150
    Birder150 Posts: 677 Member
    Options
    I received a new bike on August 1st and I've been out riding 5x a week for at least an hour and up to 90 minutes so far which translates in to at least 10 miles at a time. I know the route mileage but would love an odometer to keep track.

It didn't take me but a day to work up to an hour. My legs and lungs are strong enough to handle it. It's my *kitten* that has a problem after an hour on the seat.

I would like to build up to 20 mile rides 5x a week but I definitely need a new seat in order to do that.

I'm 53 and weigh 235 btw, so I'm guessing you'll be burning up the roads/trails in no time.

Have fun!
  • SaraA07
    Options
    Once I get use to things I would love to ride my bike to work 6 miles one way...wish me luck
  • PLoveElliott
    PLoveElliott Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    I started cycling close to 7 years ago. When I first got my bike I was doing around 15 miles or so on Saturdays with my friends (I live in the San Francisco area so some of those miles had some pretty monster hills). After close to 2 months of doing that I signed up to compete in my first 100 mile bike race. I road every weekend and one night a week and I quickly built up the endurance (I was active doing other things as well).
    You will be surprised with how quickly you build your endurance. I take breaks from riding (sometimes up to months off) and can get on the bike, even with a long break from riding, and cycle 30 or so miles without blinking.
    Hope you enjoy cycling! Get a Road I.D if you don't already have one. I wear it whenever I am out cycling, running, cross country skiing, or walking by myself.
  • SaraA07
    Options
    What is a road I.D.?
  • Trevorrconley
    Options
    Think of it as like a dog tag for yourself. If you get injured or something while out exercising and let's say you get knocked out, someone else who is going by can see you, know your name and other information and can hopefully get you the medical attention you need.

Just make sure that you go in places that other people are likely to go. Identification won't do you any good if there is no one else around.
  • Papillon22
    Papillon22 Posts: 1,160 Member
    Options
    I like to ride my bike, but I only do it a few times a month, so I always ride it for about 1 hour, sometimes more. I haven't really looked into getting better at it, since I do it to give my knees a break.
    I know the route mileage but would love an odometer to keep track.

It's my *kitten* that has a problem after an hour on the seat.

Agreed with the butt statement. Ouch!

As for keeping track of distance, you can download runtastic (it's a free app) which uses GPS track you and gives you a summary at the end of the workout.
  • Birder150
    Options
    As for keeping track of distance, you can download runtastic (it's a free app) which uses GPS track you and gives you a summary at the end of the workout.

Thank you for the tip :flowerforyou:
    but ...
    I am one of those rare creatures without a phone. :noway:
  • Birder150
    Options
    Once I get use to things I would love to ride my bike to work 6 miles one way...wish me luck

I did this when I was younger and loved it! My ride was 5 miles one way and I frequently rode in with co-workers.

I think you'll really love it.
  • KANGOOJUMPS
    KANGOOJUMPS Posts: 6,473 Member
    Options
    get on your bike and ride
    or
    be a fat bottomed girl.
  • KarenJanine
    KarenJanine Posts: 3,497 Member
    Options

I ride 5 miles each way in all weather conditions. Takes under 30 minutes door to door , which makes it quicker than getting there by bus. It also a very cheap form of transport and burns calories. And it means I get 5 hours of cardio per week just getting to work and back so planned workouts I can concentrate on lifting :bigsmile:

Good luck to you!