Does anyone else eat ALL of their excersing calories?

Options
I eat all og my calories, evey one. Do you?

Replies

• poohpoohpeapod
    poohpoohpeapod Posts: 776 Member
    Options
    *all
  • poohpoohpeapod
    poohpoohpeapod Posts: 776 Member
    Options
    crickets
  • RaggedyPond
    RaggedyPond Posts: 1,487 Member
    Options
    yes
  • kmash32
    kmash32 Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    As I think both MFP and the machines in my gym over estimate the calories I have burned I usually only eat about 1/2 of them back to be on the safe side. Some days I do eat all though.
  • airangel59
    airangel59 Posts: 1,887 Member
    Options
    I rarely if ever eat ANY of them back, but don't work my socks off either....I know others eat half of them back. Whatever works for you I guess.
  • Erithil
    Erithil Posts: 52
    Options
    I do. Since mfp has already taken off a certain number of calories for the purpose of healthy weight loss, then eating excercise calories is just keeping the balance, if I overall I stay at the line. (:
  • elisabeisme
    elisabeisme Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    Yes, because when I log exercise, I log my very best guess as to the number of calories burned. I don't sandbag and put a high number of minutes in just to make myself feel better.

- I don't log a walk at 4 mph because MapMyRun/Endomondo/Nike Plus said so -- I can see the line on the apps map was wiggly and I walked in straight line

-I don't log 60 minutes of strength training when i stopped a bunch of times to get water or wait for a machine to be free

- I don't log an hour an hour of "vigorous" activity on the exercise bike because I know, by definition, a person is not at a vigorous exertion level if they can keep it up for an hour solid

- I don't call a 30-Shred Jillian Michaels DVD 30 minutes of circuit training -- when the first and last 5 were warm up/cool down

- I don't pretend the "hour-long" Pilates class at the gym was actually a full hour when the first few minutes were spent lying on our back breathing

Everyone complains about the numbers on MFP being off, but they work pretty well for me...but only 'cause I'm honest about the level/minutes of activity.
  • Ramatang
    Ramatang Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I don't eat any of my exercise calories and I'm on 1200 calories a day..
  • snazzyjazzy21
    snazzyjazzy21 Posts: 1,298 Member
    Options
    Depends on how hungry I am to be honest...
  • OMGeeeHorses
    OMGeeeHorses Posts: 732 Member
    Options
    Yes, because when I log exercise, I log my very best guess as to the number of calories burned. I don't sandbag and put a high number of minutes in just to make myself feel better.

- I don't log a walk at 4 mph because MapMyRun/Endomondo/Nike Plus said so -- I can see the line on the apps map was wiggly and I walked in straight line

-I don't log 60 minutes of strength training when i stopped a bunch of times to get water or wait for a machine to be free

- I don't log an hour an hour of "vigorous" activity on the exercise bike because I know, by definition, a person is not at a vigorous exertion level if they can keep it up for an hour solid

- I don't call a 30-Shred Jillian Michaels DVD 30 minutes of circuit training -- when the first and last 5 were warm up/cool down

- I don't pretend the "hour-long" Pilates class at the gym was actually a full hour when the first few minutes were spent lying on our back breathing

Everyone complains about the numbers on MFP being off, but they work pretty well for me...but only 'cause I'm honest about the level/minutes of activity.

I have a bodymedia armband that tells me ALL I burn and its way above MFP and tells me my time :), so those people might actually have a device telling them the burn they post.
  • mjrkearney
    mjrkearney Posts: 408 Member
    Options
    Eh, MFP has me eating below my BMR anyway, so I don't feel too bad going over on cardio days when I have a recorded burn of over 700 calories. It also doesn't calculate lifting days or all of the busying around I do at work all day.
  • lovelylela415
    lovelylela415 Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    Depends on how hungry I am to be honest...

Me too. If I'm hungry enough to eat them all back I do! I do IIFYM as well, but stay within the calorie deficit pre calculated by MFP. I have lost weight, gained muscle, and basically changed my body composition in ways that I didn't realize we're possible for me. I cook at home as often as I can, eat as many whole foods as i can, avoid processed food as much as I can (I guess you could say I "eat clean" 90% of the time) and I don't ever let myself feel "starving"

If I'm hungry I eat nutrient rich food

Recently I was told to eat until I'm 80% full and that's been a great tip. Ten minutes later I am 100% full :) I work out 6 days a week, so I get hungry, and if I didn't eat back a lot of my exercise calories I don't think I'd have the same energy levels to work out and walk everywhere as often as I do. Fuel, I need fuel.

I make errors, overeat and undereat on some days but about 85-90% of the time I eat the way I just described. I've noticed major changes not just in my body but in my overall life. I'm the strongest and happiest I've ever been, and I think this is a direct result of my diet and the weight lifting / circuits / cardio routine I've established in my life.

So, yes. I eat them back for sure. And every morning when I wake up I'm super psyched to go on a run and have the energy I need to run fast & hard :)
  • TamaraKat
    TamaraKat Posts: 533 Member
    Options
    Haha NO. I can't eat 1200 - 1300 (healthy) calories let along add another 1300 on top! :grumble:
  • abikinibyjuly
    abikinibyjuly Posts: 330 Member
    Options
    Most of the time. I exercise to eat. It's a great motivator!
  • mockchoc
    mockchoc Posts: 6,573 Member
    Options
    Yes because I love food.
  • JanAlyssa825
    JanAlyssa825 Posts: 43 Member
    Options

Totally agree! I don't usually eat every single calorie back, but if I don't work out, I'm at 1290 cal per day, and that is just not enough for me.
  • lovelylela415
    lovelylela415 Posts: 91 Member
    Options

Totally agree! I don't usually eat every single calorie back, but if I don't work out, I'm at 1290 cal per day, and that is just not enough for me.

This. Me too. I love food, eating, and it motivates me to work out, it's a great cycle!
  • tennileb
    tennileb Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    I eat some back. on days I hike, I'm burning 2500 or more calories so I'd have to eat 3700 calories....not going to happen. those days I maybe eat back 500-800 of the exercise calories and call it a day.
  • pipergirlsmom
    Options
    I don't. Every night it tells me I am not eating enough calories, but truthfully I am just not that hungry. Like tonight I had eaten 998 cal. so I ate some yogurt but that still didn't quite get me up to the calories it says I should have. I knew when I got this account that I didn't eat that much and the log proved it to myself. Hope with the added exercise the weight starts coming off and soon. Have to have 15 lbs off by Dec. for knee surgery.
  • mockchoc
    mockchoc Posts: 6,573 Member
    Options
    I don't. Every night it tells me I am not eating enough calories, but truthfully I am just not that hungry. Like tonight I had eaten 998 cal. so I ate some yogurt but that still didn't quite get me up to the calories it says I should have. I knew when I got this account that I didn't eat that much and the log proved it to myself. Hope with the added exercise the weight starts coming off and soon. Have to have 15 lbs off by Dec. for knee surgery.

Was it full fat yogurt? Change to that and it'll help. 998 is not enough for anyone unless their doctor told them to do so or they are about 8 years old.