Does anyone else eat ALL of their excersing calories?

Options

Replies

• TheRealParisLove
    TheRealParisLove Posts: 1,907 Member
    Options
    Close. I'm very close to goal and it is really hard to lose with too big of a deficit.
  • janupshaw
    janupshaw Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    I generally eat them back, sometimes every last one. If I don't feel hungry, I'll leave about a hundred.
  • TRD66
    TRD66 Posts: 310 Member
    Options
    Sometimes I do.

But I think the general rule is to eat about 75% back as the calories in MFP might be exaggerated. Gotta eat some of them back to keep the regular calroie deficiency of the MFP model. Also, exercise makes most folk hungry.
  • ice1200s
    ice1200s Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    Depends on what my calorie limit is at the time. If I'm at 1200, I eat them all back. If I'm at 1450, I eat about 40 - 50% of them back.
  • aquarabbit
    aquarabbit Posts: 1,622 Member
    Options
    Yes! It's harder now that I'm working out twice a day (and working out hard too), but I still try to eat all my calories back. I like food. So I like being able to eat more. For me, it's the 2nd reason why I choose to workout (#1 is to look good in a bikini . . . someday).
  • runs4zen
    runs4zen Posts: 769 Member
    Options
    Sometimes I eat other people's exercise calories too. I get hungry.
  • xapril77x
    xapril77x Posts: 248 Member
    Options
    Yes, because when I log exercise, I log my very best guess as to the number of calories burned. I don't sandbag and put a high number of minutes in just to make myself feel better.

- I don't log a walk at 4 mph because MapMyRun/Endomondo/Nike Plus said so -- I can see the line on the apps map was wiggly and I walked in straight line

-I don't log 60 minutes of strength training when i stopped a bunch of times to get water or wait for a machine to be free

- I don't log an hour an hour of "vigorous" activity on the exercise bike because I know, by definition, a person is not at a vigorous exertion level if they can keep it up for an hour solid

- I don't call a 30-Shred Jillian Michaels DVD 30 minutes of circuit training -- when the first and last 5 were warm up/cool down

- I don't pretend the "hour-long" Pilates class at the gym was actually a full hour when the first few minutes were spent lying on our back breathing

Everyone complains about the numbers on MFP being off, but they work pretty well for me...but only 'cause I'm honest about the level/minutes of activity.

I have a bodymedia armband that tells me ALL I burn and its way above MFP and tells me my time :), so those people might actually have a device telling them the burn they post.

I just ordered my bodymedia arm band!!! I'm SO excited!!! How do u like it??? Is it as awesome as I hear???
  • David1406
    Options
    No...no...NO!! Ignore them...they're a bonus. I've yet to find any app or device that measures exercise calories accurately anyway, so play safe...NEVER EAT THEM if you're serious about losing weight.
  • Panda_Rolls
    Panda_Rolls Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    I have a fitbit that helps me track my activity, so I eat a good portion of my exercise calories back. I think if I actually only ate 1200 calories a day I'd be super cranky, I don't know how other people do it! I usually end up eating around 1800 a day and I have been losing steadily.
  • dadzzz
    dadzzz Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    never unless its a big cardio session to burn over 1000 calories i might have something sweet before and after for energy long distanced cycling requires energy on the go it burns calories very fast 2 hours on the bike for burns over 2000 calories so most of the i am -calories that day
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    No...no...NO!! Ignore them...they're a bonus. I've yet to find any app or device that measures exercise calories accurately anyway, so play safe...NEVER EAT THEM if you're serious about losing weight.

Wrong, wrong, WRONG!!
    I was serious about weight loss and got to goal weight by eating them all back.

please read this....
    http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/fat-loss/why-big-caloric-deficits-and-lots-of-activity-can-hurt-fat-loss.html
  • majica8
    majica8 Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    Depends on what I've eaten that day, how many calories I've burned and if I'm hungry or not.
    I usually don't eat them all back, especially if I've burned quite a lot (500+) mostly because I usually don't find myself getting hungry. I'm not going to force feed myself when I'm not hungry just so I can meet my goal for the day.
    I do try to make sure I net 1200 or more (goal of 1550 at the moment) but that's about it.
  • mazdauk
    mazdauk Posts: 1,380 Member
    Options

Rubbish! I eat ALL my exercise caories - if not on the day I earn them then by the end of the week. The ticker tells the story!

I go with MFP estimates and its worked just fine. I think the estimates are only inaccurate if you fool yourself how active you are - don't put "walking briskly" just because you're tired and sweaty, if in doubt move it down a level. (I used to work with a very large lady who got tired and sweaty walking from he desk to the loo - no way dd she walk briskly, poor lady!)

Same principle with food servings - dn't kid yourself that a large serving bowl of pasta is only 75g and you'll be fine:wink:
  • tarotlou
    tarotlou Posts: 47
    Options
    I'm the same as bikinifitbyjuly I exercise to eat, I panic if by 3pm I've only got 500 calories, I then have to do a couple of miles walk to get the extra calories so I know that I can eat chocolate
  • MJ_Watson
    MJ_Watson Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    I do! To be specific, I have a HRM, so I input the burn it gives me (after subtracting 20%) and eat that, but I find it's usually pretty consistent with MFP's estimation. (My cardio is mostly walking, which I've heard is more accurate than other things in the database.) I input my strength training and eat back what MFP gives me, too. I've been told not to do this for strength, but I learned very quickly that if I don't, I end up feeling like I got hit by a bus the next day! It's only a hundred or so calories extra anyway.

I may leave some uneaten if I'm not hungry, of course, but I look at it weekly, so those calories are definitely getting eaten later in the week! (I usually go over once a week or so - weekends or going out with friends etc.) It hasn't hurt my progress at all.
  • rbbrrmqn
    rbbrrmqn Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    ^^^^^^THIS^^^^^ I NEVER eat them back, esp. since an MD explained to me that you are working out to create a cal deficit, so why on earth would you turn around and eat them back??!!
    Here it is-- the magic of the weight loss world--
    1 lb = 3500 cals
    7 days/week X 500 cal deficit = 1 lb lost
    500 less of food AND 500 lost thru workout gives you your 2 lb wt loss per week
    (You're welcome!!)
  • lhourin
    lhourin Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    I do usually eat back most of them...mostly because working out makes me really hungry. But I try to eat good foods and not just crap, even when I'm starving. :) And I'm not a strictly calories in-calories out person (more about the quality of food and not eating processed or carb-rich food), but working out does make me want to eat more, so I do.
  • honkytonks85
    honkytonks85 Posts: 669 Member
    Options
    Yes, because when I log exercise, I log my very best guess as to the number of calories burned. I don't sandbag and put a high number of minutes in just to make myself feel better.

- I don't log a walk at 4 mph because MapMyRun/Endomondo/Nike Plus said so -- I can see the line on the apps map was wiggly and I walked in straight line

-I don't log 60 minutes of strength training when i stopped a bunch of times to get water or wait for a machine to be free

- I don't log an hour an hour of "vigorous" activity on the exercise bike because I know, by definition, a person is not at a vigorous exertion level if they can keep it up for an hour solid

- I don't call a 30-Shred Jillian Michaels DVD 30 minutes of circuit training -- when the first and last 5 were warm up/cool down

- I don't pretend the "hour-long" Pilates class at the gym was actually a full hour when the first few minutes were spent lying on our back breathing

Everyone complains about the numbers on MFP being off, but they work pretty well for me...but only 'cause I'm honest about the level/minutes of activity.

^^^ this is perfect
  • HollieDollieeeex
    HollieDollieeeex Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    I have a heart rate monitor so I know all my logs are as accurate as they're going to get.

Somedays I'm starving so I eat them all back (if I do spinnuing - average burn of 500cals) but if I'm not hungry I don't think... 'I've got calories left to eat.'

Listen to your body and it's hunger, there's nothing wrong with eating them all back, thats the MFP method. If you don't and you still feel satisfied then that works for you x
  • HollieDollieeeex
    HollieDollieeeex Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    I'm the same as bikinifitbyjuly I exercise to eat, I panic if by 3pm I've only got 500 calories, I then have to do a couple of miles walk to get the extra calories so I know that I can eat chocolate

I love this response... I think this speaks for the majority of chocaholics :laugh: