Have you moved to a completely foreign country?

Options
JasAbyG
JasAbyG Posts: 39 Member
Just seeing if anyone else has moved to another country where their whole lifestyle has changed?

I was born and brought in New Zealand (with an English dad and a Fijian mum) and then made the move to India :smile:

Replies

• grggmrtn
    grggmrtn Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    Canadian here, grew up in northern Maine, now living in Denmark, after several years in France, Poland, Switzerland, Ukraine, and Italy...
  • lhourin
    lhourin Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    We are American, live in Hawaii, and are about to move to Germany (but we did just spent the summer there). That's a pretty big lifestyle change, mostly in terms of weather (Hawaii to very cold winters!) and also in terms of public transportation and walking (much more of both in Germany).
    When I was 10, my family moved to Indonesia from the U.S. for 2 years, so that was a huge change (bigger than US --> GER). We love living overseas, and think it's especially great for kids to experience something totally different. It certainly opened my eyes and world as a child.
  • willandjaye
    willandjaye Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    American currently living in Germany.
  • bernicesmission
    Options
    I am from uk and i have live on a tropical island in the south china sea called Hainan i have lived in China for seven years and will be here indefinately, completely different culture, lifestyle, food everything it takes time to really get adjusted into a normal life. Can be quite difficult with dieting as access to foods i like iis difficult!
  • JasAbyG
    JasAbyG Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    I'd like to see someone with the greatest change. Who has changed their clothes, eating habits, language, cultural values/ethics, living standard etc...

Thanks for the responses
  • TheVimFuego
    TheVimFuego Posts: 2,412 Member
    Options
    Born in England and moved to Oz 8 years ago.

I've had to have my sense of irony, humour and subtlety surgically removed in order to fit in.

The language barrier hasn't been too bad.

Mate. ;)
  • jillomahony
    jillomahony Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I am from the states and moved to Zurich after finishing UNI, then to London, then to Geneva, then to Australia and now in Belgium for the past three years. Belgium is still proving the most difficult to settle in, I don't love it here much, and am looking forward to another move!
  • neandermagnon
    neandermagnon Posts: 7,436 Member
    Options
    Yeah, I'm British... moved to Saudi 6 years ago, then Bahrain last year.
  • PhatAv8r
    PhatAv8r Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    USA, lived in China for 13 of the last 16 years, in the military, lived in Germany, visited for different lengths of time Saudi Arabia, Iraq
  • db34fit69
    db34fit69 Posts: 189 Member
    Options

Me too. By the way isn't *every* other country "completely foreign" by definition?
  • RaggedyPond
    RaggedyPond Posts: 1,487 Member
    Options
    Minnesotan in Japan.
  • andiebaco
    andiebaco Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    Mexican here.. I've lived in Edinburgh, New Zealand and Sweden. Right now I'm living in Switzerland but I'll be moving to Singapore in a month..
  • podgeford123
    Options
    Yes. 7 countries, mostly english speaking. As long as it is not too oppressive and you see it as an adventure, and you keep in touch with your friends whereever they are, it can be a great experience. Kiwis travel, you always will, get used to it ;-) I lived in NZ too :)
  • bregalad5
    bregalad5 Posts: 3,965 Member
    Options
    American who moves around a bit as an ESL teacher. I've taught in Italy and Korea and am moving to Russia next week.
  • iron_jj
    iron_jj Posts: 446 Member
    Options
    My parents moved from the US to Switzerland when I was 4. Lived there for about 10 years, then we moved back. Now I can confuse people with a funny language!
  • podgeford123
    Options
    Hmm I can see what you mean, however the EU countries are becoming more like states, so moving from Ireland to England or to Belgium may not be considered that foreign, or to anywhere English speaking like Canada or Aus...I think in common use it would be reserved for more exotic moves like China, Japan, Egypt etc...I think the American perspective may be different to the EU or commonwealth view. (source: I lived in NZ and the US as well as EU)

Me too. By the way isn't *every* other country "completely foreign" by definition?
  • CollieFit
    CollieFit Posts: 1,683 Member
    Options
    I was born and educated in Germany.

Moved to London at 18 and lived in various places in the UK (moved for University, jobs etc).

Lived and worked in the Middle East for a couple of years in my early twenties (Israel, Egypt, Jordan, Syria).

Spent a couple of months in the very south of India working with a charity supporting a village of "untouchables" in my 30s.

It's good to get around and broaden cultural horizons.
  • annakow
    annakow Posts: 385 Member
    Options
    Austrian Jew ( from my grandparents) born in Poland, left in 1992 for south UK
  • VBnotbitter
    VBnotbitter Posts: 820 Member
    Options
    I'd like to see someone with the greatest change. Who has changed their clothes, eating habits, language, cultural values/ethics, living standard etc...

Thanks for the responses

From UK to Australia. I had to change clothes and now no longer own a fleece or anorak. I also had to learn to catch a ball and like sport.

Also lived in the USA for a year which was much weirder and a huge cultural change.
  • waipepe
    waipepe Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    Lived in Poland, Germany, France, Austria, Canada, Japan and Australia now, all for extended periods of time (at least 2 years minimum)

Several passports holder:) I love picking and choosing which passport to use when going through immigration when I travel.