My weight loss is slow. Do I need to eat more calories?

Options
13»

Replies

• smn76237
    smn76237 Posts: 318 Member
    Options
    OP, unless you got private messages that were mean or rude, I'm not really sure what what wrong with the responses you got in this thread? Your original post cited 1) concerns with meeting your protein goals and 2) wondering why you're losing slowly and whether you should increase your calories. Pretty much everyone pointed out you often go over the calorie goals you set for yourself and you immediately got defensive...are you really mad at people for trying to answer your questions? No one likes to have their flaws pointed out to them, but that's no reason to get upset at legitimate advice. And some of us did give you tips for 1) keeping your calories lower and 2) ways to increase protein. So, take a deep breath, look back *objectively* at your diary, and ask yourself if anything anyone said in this thread was really that bad.
  • lifethatgrows
    Options
    Everyone here knows the pain of overeating and how very hard it can be - but if you're looking for answers as to what is slowing down your weight loss, know that you are not eating too little, and that yes, upping your protein will help. Even assuming you're not an idiot, weight loss is hard. People will tend to overstate things rather than leave important information out, which I think is good. Try not to be offended - I haven't seen a single post that I would consider intentionally rude.
  • symonspatrick
    symonspatrick Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    No you do not need to eat more calories. You need to eat less calories. More calories means slower weight loss. Congratulations on your loss so far.
  • strongmindstrongbody
    strongmindstrongbody Posts: 315 Member
    Options

Despite the common belief on this thread, I'm actually not an idiot.

I'm not following this statement. From the responses I read through, it sounds like people just giving advice. I don't know, maybe I skipped over the harsh responses?
  • Hildy_J
    Hildy_J Posts: 1,050 Member
    Options
    Hey there,

I'm sorry if you were discouraged or felt people were talking down to you. It's a sensitive area for many people.

You asked 'Do I need to eat more calories'. I looked at your diary and the only HONEST answer I can give you is 'No, you need to eat less.' I'm not judging you, I'm just saying you don't need to try a new method, just try and stick to the one you've set yourself. I'm not saying it's easy - my god I can't stick to mine sometimes, believe me! :-)

If you're not ready to hear that - that's fine too!

You've lost a stack of weight - it's obviously a real struggle for you so WELL DONE and KEEP ON.

We're with you! It WILL happen and you CAN do it.

Jenny xxx
  • squishy84
    Options
    I'm 31 and 257 pounds. I'm moderately active as I teach and I wear a pedometer every day so I get around 9500 steps/day. I have also had my thyroid check and full blood work because my doctor also thought there must be an underlying medical condition. However, I did have a health care provider mention two years ago that I could have PCOS. I guess since they never said anything more about it, I never thought anything more about it. I didn't know it lowered your BMR either.

Thanks everyone, I have no idea how I will manage on fewer calories but I guess it's time to try.

Hello hun!

Firstly well done for keeping on with it - honestly I can so relate to how you must feel - I have only really been trying for a month and I am already frustrated! LOL

When it comes to PCOS, the best way of eating is Low GI foods - PCOS is affected by insulin resistance, so just try to go for Lower GI foods instead, and it might help. To be honest, I haven't yet wrapped my brain around the TDEE thing etc, so this is the best advice I can give.

Good luck! xx
  • Mitzigan94
    Mitzigan94 Posts: 393 Member
    Options
    try to reduce your carbs
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    After posting on a weight loss "help" thread I have never felt more discouraged and condescended to than this. I should have known better than to seek "help".

If I might make a couple of observations, having reflected on what I read earlier this afternoon. You've asked whether you're in "starvation mode", essentially, and whether you should increase your calorie intake in order to improve your losses. You're losing, but not all that quickly. You've had a number of people who've said that your intake is already looking quite high, and you could probably look to reduce more than you currently have. I'd agree with that, based on the figures posted. You should be able to carve out a reasonable level of intake without any real ill effects. I can only really compare with my own situation, and as a 6ft1 man I'm eating a significantly lower calorie count and doing ok.

There have also been observations about your intake balance, and this also seems to make sense. The observations about time of day seem reasonable although I acknowledge that's not always practical.

My own thoughts on the whole "weighing and measuring" is that it's very much a diversion. It's not practical for some, and from what you've said about your lifestyle I suspect it's not for you. It certainly doesn't work for me, but I have to find ways to compensate for the ambiguity around my intake that brings. Again comparing with my own situation, I end up being a little pessimistic, so approximating a little high. That means that I'm probably eating a little less than I input. The main thing is that I am seeing an effect, as are you.

It may be worth reviewing your own responses to others on this thread, and perhaps reflecting on what those responses are telling others. I don't think anyone has been particularly unreasonable in what they've said, but I can understand why things have got a little shrill over the course of the discussion. Only one person can push us to lose weight, and that person also drives our relationships with others. I wish you well in your campaign to lose weight, and trust that you'll make productive choices based on the advice and opinions expressed here.
  • messinadress
    Options
    For the past 5 weeks I've been working out with Focus T25 and logging my calories on MFP, and I've lost 1lb. I'm 5'6", 240, 28 yrs old. You'd think I would have at least lost an initial amount of water weight. I try to stay around 2000 cals a day and have been trying to eat clean, but I fall apart on the weekends. It is frustrating. But the good news is you are still losing weight, don't discount your progress, 30lbs is fantastic!!

This past week I've been trying to re-evaluate what's been going on, why am I not losing weight? Am I broken? Did years of yo-yo dieting catch up with me? But I'm only 28! So, if weight loss is not occurring, and there doesn't seem to be anything medically wrong, then we have to re-evaluate our caloric intake and exercise. Unfortunately a calorie isn't just a calorie. 200 calories of oatmeal is not the same as 200 calories of pizza nutritionally, and we have to think about that when we're making decisions.

I've read all of the posts, and I have not taken a look at your food diary, but based on the replies of those who have, definitely take a look and the convenience foods and think about ways to cut those out. The sodium, the additives, the sugar, the carbs, none of it is conducive to losing weight, and we as consumers have been fooled for years by marketing strategies. These meals are called "Healthy Choice" and "Lean Cuisine". The only thing they've got going for them is the calories and honestly, the portions are so small that I could eat 3-4 of those "meals"! And the sugar and sodium contents leave us wanting more. It's so hard to have to cook and pack your meals, I know. I'm so tired at the end of the day it's the last thing I want to do. But I bet you if you tried for a week or two eating home cooked meals with little to no sugar, upping your healthy fats (olive oil, flax, avocado, nuts in moderation) and definitely upping your protein, having it with every meal, you'll see a big difference. Keep your carbs to fruits and vegetables as much as you can, and limited whole grains and oats/rice. If you have to have pasta have whole wheat and measure out 1 cup of it. Same for rice, only have brown rice, or try quinoa. Beware of sauces and baked goods, even home made. Get protein, fat and fruit and vegetable oriented. That's what I've realized I have to do. I have to add more protein, check my calorie intake, add more healthy fats, and cut the carbs. Calorie intake will take experimentation but what you can do now is add more protein. You CAN do this!!!! Here's some good protein ideas that are quick:

hard boiled eggs
    rotisserie chicken (love these from the grocery store, so easy, just peel off the skin)
    hummus snack with cut up veggies, nuts, and a little cheese
    greek yogurt w/ sliced almonds
    canned or bagged tuna (watch for sugar in the flavored kinds)
    can of oysters or sardines (be careful of the oils, added sugars, and drink extra water)
    lunchmeats/cold cuts sparingly (added preservatives & sugars, try to get the premium ones at the deli counter)
    shrimp w/ cocktail sauce (look for sugars)
    egg sandwich (whole wheat bread, smear avocado on both sides, and make a 1 egg, 1 white small omelette and fold it onto the bread, add tomatoe slices if you have them yum!)
    pre-cooked quinoa "fried rice". sautee it in some olive oil and add in scrambled egg, a touch of soy sauce, peas and carrots

Good luck to you, don't feel discouraged. I know what you mean about some people on these boards being condescending and just down right rude, but I truly think everyone who has replied is only trying to help you. Let us know how you're doing!!