Weight Loss whislt Pregnant

Options
Hi All

I have been using MFP to calorie count for a few months now, and have just had a positive pregnancy test this morning, it's still clearly very early days, but I wanted to check on the guidance for dieting whilst pregnant? There doesn't seem to be an option for this in the settings that I can see.

Thanks

Replies

• bexalicous
    bexalicous Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    As far as I know dieting while pregnant is not such a good idea HOWEVER that doesn't stop you eating healthy.
  • morticia16
    morticia16 Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    I'd consult your doctor to determine a healthy daily calorie intake during your pregnancy.
  • HollieDollieeeex
    HollieDollieeeex Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    If I was pregnant I would ditch the diet attempts and opt for healthy choices.

Your baby is more important than a number on a scale right now, you'll have plenty of time after the birth to get back in shape.

Enjoy it, don't stress xx
  • Lupercalia
    Lupercalia Posts: 1,857 Member
    Options
    I agree with the general consensus here--don't diet, eat well, and definitely speak to your doctor about recommended calorie intake and nutrition during pregnancy.
  • _Zardoz_
    _Zardoz_ Posts: 3,987 Member
    Options
    Speak to your Doctor or Midwife
  • ContraryMaryMary
    ContraryMaryMary Posts: 1,687 Member
    Options
    I'm pregnant at the moment and switched to maintenance when I found out. The advice I received was to add 300 calories a day during the second trimester and another 100 again during the third. However, if you are considerably overweight it is still possible to lose weight while pregnant but please talk to your doctor about this.

If you are considering restricting your calories while pregnant it's worth watching this - you could be setting your child up for obesity: http://www.ted.com/talks/annie_murphy_paul_what_we_learn_before_we_re_born.html

Congratulations, by the way. There are a few pregnancy groups here with lots of women dealing with similar issues so I'd recommend joining one or two.
  • Thomasm198
    Thomasm198 Posts: 3,189 Member
    Options
    ask-the-doctor.png
  • nainai0585
    nainai0585 Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    I am hoping to be pregnant and will know for sure in 2 weeks (Gestational Surrogate with an IVF transfer of 2 embroys both 3 days old at time of transfer). This past March, the parents informed me that they wanted to do a sibling journey in August for the child they already have that I carried for them (their daughter was born in Nov. 2012), so I started loosing the weight then and have now reached my goal weight at the time of the transfer this past week.
    At this time I am still eating the amount of calories needed to loose 1.5-2 lbs a week and will maintain this until I have the second trimester. During the second trimester I will up my calorie intake by 200 then in the third trimester by an additional 200-300 depending on my weight gain and what my doctor says.

Please remember that the old motto of "eating for two" should be taken very lightly (I only learned this after 4 pregnancies, hence why after 8 yrs, I have finally lost all the "baby" weight). Your more like eating for 1.5 and that is in the third trimester (and the other one is only 5-9 lbs at the time of birth).
  • sbatz111
    sbatz111 Posts: 35
    Options
    You absolutely need to ask your doctor. Weight loss causes elevated ketone release, which can damage babies brains while they are developing. Most OBGYNs do NOT want you to diet while pregnant.
  • chubber231
    chubber231 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Definitely talk to your doctor. Don't diet; eat healthy. My daughter was overweight when she got pregnant and she started eating healthy as soon as she found out. She lost 11 pounds before she gained a pound back at 24 weeks. She has kept a food/exercise diary that her doctor reviews it at each appointment and he is pleased with her calorie intake and activity. I can't stress enough that communication with your doctor is crucial. Best of luck to you!
  • SoDamnHungry
    SoDamnHungry Posts: 6,998 Member
    Options
    I agree with the general consensus here--don't diet, eat well, and definitely speak to your doctor about recommended calorie intake and nutrition during pregnancy.

This.