Bad news.

Options
I haven't been feeling well the last few days, so I decided to go to the doctor. And it was nothing but bad news. Long story short, he said I'm working myself to hard, and that me doing insanity is doing more harm than good. I'm upset, but my doctor knows what's best for me. I'm definitely not going to let this bring me down! I'm starting kick boxing in September, so lets hope that goes well.

Replies

• __freckles__
    __freckles__ Posts: 1,238 Member
    Options
    I'm sorry you got bad news :( Hopefully the kickboxing will be easier on your body but just as fun! Good luck my dear!
  • mockchoc
    mockchoc Posts: 6,573 Member
    Options
    Did you ask your doctor if it's OK to start kickboxing in September?
  • kelvincornish1
    Options
    Did your doctor explain why doing Insanity is doing you harm? How could he/she pin your troubles down to Insanity?
  • cwsikes
    cwsikes Posts: 86
    Options
    Did your doctor explain why doing Insanity is doing you harm? How could he/she pin your troubles down to Insanity?

This is specifically why I go to a doctor that does both sports medicine and general health. Not saying your doctor is wrong but I've always felt some doctors are quick to blame exercise. I like a doctor who understands that I run and I will continue running and that a valid solution to any health problems I may have is not "stop running".
  • micheleb15
    micheleb15 Posts: 1,418 Member
    Options

I am interested in this as well. Did he tell you to stop or start slower and let your body rest in between days? Insanity is no different than a kickboxing class. They are both cardio.
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,950 Member
    Options

This is specifically why I go to a doctor that does both sports medicine and general health. Not saying your doctor is wrong but I've always felt some doctors are quick to blame exercise. I like a doctor who understands that I run and I will continue running and that a valid solution to any health problems I may have is not "stop running".

Yup. I came in with an issue with asthma a while back to a doctor, their response was, "Stop hunting, stop hiking. It's not the 1800s, you don't need to do it."

I just looked at him and told me to get someone who didn't graduate at the bottom of his class.

Not all doctors know what they're talking about, and often only have contact with you for 15 minutes or so, so naturally, try to pin an issue on something, and frankly, strenuous activity is an easy thing to blame for ailments. That's why I press them when it comes to what they say.
  • AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    Also curious about the doctor's decision that Insanity is the problem.

Any specific illness making you not feel well? Aches & pains, or tried? What's your daily calorie goal and do you meet it?
  • strongmindstrongbody
    strongmindstrongbody Posts: 315 Member
    Options

I'm wondering this too. Do you have a medical condition that's triggered by intense activity? If not, maybe your doctor is wrong. I've had a couple of doctors tell me bull**** stuff before.
  • hookilau
    hookilau Posts: 3,134 Member
    Options
    Having looked at OP's profile and previous posts adds a bit of insight.

I don't think she has any weight to lose :huh:

Young girl, very slender, OP...you have arrived. :drinker: You've lost a good deal of weight and now it could be time to just
    enjoy the fruits of your labor & maintain :blushing:

10 more pounds lost and you might very well look anorexic as you say people are saying to you.:ohwell:

edited for typos
  • emc916
    emc916 Posts: 77
    Options

I'm wondering this as well. Doctors don't always know best..
  • sarahz5
    sarahz5 Posts: 1,363 Member
    Options
    If she is at a healthy weight, that doesn't mean she shouldn't exercise, it means she should eat to fuel the exercise. It's the ratio between intake and exercise that is the problem, not healthy, reasonable exercise (which, despite it's name, Insanity probably is).
  • leonaedithlewis
    leonaedithlewis Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    If she is at a healthy weight, that doesn't mean she shouldn't exercise, it means she should eat to fuel the exercise. It's the ratio between intake and exercise that is the problem, not healthy, reasonable exercise (which, despite it's name, Insanity probably is).

I agree.