What can I eat?!

Options
I'm finding myself with a significant number of calories left over each day, but don't want to exceed the fat recommendation. Any suggestions for something healthy and low fat? I am vegetarian, so no meat or fish, and I am doing my best to avoid any sugar!

Thanks! :flowerforyou:

Replies

• morticia16
    morticia16 Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    I suppose legumes should do the trick if you really need to avoid things like nuts etc
  • p4ulmiller
    p4ulmiller Posts: 588 Member
    Options
    The majority of the above is complete and utter b/s. Just saying.

^^ This.

And the website makes my eyes bleed and my hands tremble!
  • kaned_ferret
    kaned_ferret Posts: 618 Member
    Options
    And as a vegetarian, do you consume eggs? (sorry to sound dumb, but you described yourself as vegetarian not vegan, but I didn't want to offend by suggesting taboo foodstuffs!) if they're on the menu, then omelettes, boiled, scrambled, you name it :smile:
  • neandermagnon
    neandermagnon Posts: 7,436 Member
    Options
    The majority of the above is complete and utter b/s. Just saying.

^^ This.

And the website makes my eyes bleed and my hands tremble!

^^^^ this!!
  • jennfranklin
    jennfranklin Posts: 434 Member
    Options
    I go over on fat quite frequently, but when it is the good fat I don't worry so much. Such as avacado, olive oil, nuts. Maybe try some of these. They are high in calories and fat, but also high on the nutrient list. :) hope this helps.
  • kiddoc88
    kiddoc88 Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    fat free greek yogurt or cottage cheese
  • mgottlieb50
    mgottlieb50 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Keep cellery, cucumbers, carrots (if you can deal with their inherent sweetness) - around. An apple a day :happy:

drink water.
  • rawfull
    rawfull Posts: 178
    Options
    I'm a raw foodist now, and I really don't worry about calories, except to make sure I get enough...
    Green smoothies, fruit, and uncooked veggies will not make you fat...
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ucHEVNX2c9o
  • mgottlieb50
    mgottlieb50 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Eggs are easy to substitute. A bit of tofu scramble replaces an omlet.

Cheese is less easy - vegan cheeses - if they have any taste are equiv to real cheese in fat, but lack protein - vegan junk food!

Going whole plant-based diet is good at so many levels, but no guarantee you'll lose weight.
  • KANGOOJUMPS
    KANGOOJUMPS Posts: 6,472 Member
    Options
    a nice bottle of wine
  • jdad1
    jdad1 Posts: 1,899 Member
    Options
    Peanut butter. Natural peanut butter has little sugar and will fill up your calories.
  • neandermagnon
    neandermagnon Posts: 7,436 Member
    Options
    my favourite low fat, healthy, high protein snack/mini-meal is this:

1 scoop vanilla flavoured whey isolate
    lots of frozen fruit
    laban* - use the very low fat one if you want low fat

blend in a blender, serve in a bowl and eat like ice cream

*arabic dairy product, looks like milk, tastes like yoghurt, if you don't have laban, yoghurt will do

BTW don't fear fat, fat won't make you fat... eating more than your TDEE on a regular basis makes you fat... so if one day you're hitting your calorie goal but you're over on fat and under on carbs, it's not a bad thing, unless you're eating so few carbs that you don't have enough carbs to fuel your workouts.
  • sjanejack
    sjanejack Posts: 158
    Options
    Maybe you could eat a small peanut butter and jelly sandwich, or a granola bar. One with real nutrients, not the little ones with sugar and calories and no iron, protein, etc.
  • elliej
    elliej Posts: 466 Member
    Options
    Agree with above. The tastiest low fat things I can think of are Total 0% fat greek yoghurt with fruit (good sugars) or low fat cottage cheese mixed with 2tsp smoked paprika.

Also ignore the vegetarian basher. Lifelong veggie here in a family of them who live into their 90s.
  • ironanimal
    ironanimal Posts: 5,922 Member
    Options
    Agree with above. The tastiest low fat things I can think of are Total 0% fat greek yoghurt with fruit (good sugars) or low fat cottage cheese mixed with 2tsp smoked paprika.

Also ignore the vegetarian basher. Lifelong veggie here in a family of them who live into their 90s.
    Not one word has been said against vegetarianism :wink:
  • mazdauk
    mazdauk Posts: 1,380 Member
    Options
    Unless you have a particular dietary issue no need to worry about going over if its "good" fat - how about some houmous and veggies? Same with sugar if its fruit rather than refined sugar.
  • jdad1
    jdad1 Posts: 1,899 Member
    Options

I just thought i should but some emphasis on the "with fruit" part. Nonfat greek yogurt tastes nasty by it self. To me anyway. yuck
  • majica8
    majica8 Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    "negative calorie" foods? lol! No such thing. Even if there were it wouldn't help the OP.

I'm struggling with this a bit too. Due to how much exercise I'm doing each day I often end up with 500+ "spare" calories and depending on what other food I've had I can sometimes be at (or over) fat goals for the day so that throws things like peanut butter out the window (I know it's good fat but I still like to stay under if I can. Besides, 500 cals of PB is quite a lot of fat! lol)

I'm finding cous cous is a good option though. Usually a ready-flavoured one that you just add water to. Anything between 170 and 190 calories for a 130g serving, 2-3g of fat (no sat fat) and a similar amount of sugar.
    I've also recently discovered crumpets (well, not recently, but only recently noticed that they are very low in fat and sugar which I didn't realise before) 70-100 calories each depending on the brand, and eating them as-is is actually quite tasty, but some not-too-bad toppings are a very small amount of butter, nutella, peanut butter or some sliced/mashed banana.
  • mockchoc
    mockchoc Posts: 6,573 Member
    Options
    I'm a raw foodist now, and I really don't worry about calories, except to make sure I get enough...
    Green smoothies, fruit, and uncooked veggies will not make you fat...
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ucHEVNX2c9o

I'm so happy for you if you are doing well but if you ever can't stand it anymore just steam those veggies. No more fattening and still just as good for weight loss surely? Maybe raw is more filling.. never looked into it but I really can't see anyone doing that forever. It's sad. Hope I never offended you and very happy to be friends if you want to talk more anytime.

I'll go watch the youtube now but only so I can understand you. I wouldn't do it.
  • poedunk65
    poedunk65 Posts: 1,336 Member
    Options
    bean salad. if you do dairy eat some cheese.