Still can't run but.....

Options
I still can't run but I've been walking every day and still working out with the weights and low-impact aerobics. I don't think my knee is going to heal up fast enough to run anytime soon so....I've decided to take some advice from my last post and save up to buy myself a bicycle that will easily carry my weight! I think that will be fun and will help me keep burning these calories so I can keep moving down this weight-loss journey. As of this morning...I've lost 24 pounds over the past 7 weeks! I'm very happy and I"m still motivated to live this healthier and happier life! :wink:

Replies

• joshdann
    joshdann Posts: 618 Member
    Options
    keep it up, lady!

FWIW, walking is a great prelude to getting on that bike... but don't rush yourself. You may well be stronger-willed than many people, but it's not uncommon for people to start pushing riding too hard too quick and get discouraged, developing a distaste for the bike. That might not be you, just keep it in mind... you may be surprised how much a bike will work your legs.
  • LawrenceJoseph
    LawrenceJoseph Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    You just keep it going. Soon enough that bike will be yours and you can tool around the neighborhood... Your doing great.
  • _Zardoz_
    _Zardoz_ Posts: 3,987 Member
    Options
    If you have a dodgy knee make sure when you get the bike you get the saddle height set up correctly. A poorly set up bike can damage your knees.
  • sunglasses_and_ocean_waves
    Options
    Sometimes Plan B or C, D. E. F is the option. The important thing is that you haven't given up. :drinker:
  • alexomahony71
    alexomahony71 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Are you in a gym. Use the cycling machine to get knee/body used to cycling.

I would suggest you watch some saddle height videos on YouTube as wrong height puts added pressure on knees. Also focus on spinning those legs rather than forcing the pedals around. Aim at 90 revs per minute.
  • Laura3BB
    Laura3BB Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    My husband also has knee problems - so it's walking or cycling for him too...
    Great weight loss! congratulations!
  • shannashannabobana
    shannashannabobana Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    FWIW, walking is a great prelude to getting on that bike... but don't rush yourself. You may well be stronger-willed than many people, but it's not uncommon for people to start pushing riding too hard too quick and get discouraged, developing a distaste for the bike. That might not be you, just keep it in mind... you may be surprised how much a bike will work your legs.
    I started with the recumbent bike at the gym (and still use it sometimes when I'm not running - I don't have a real bike). It really does work your legs if you set it high enough, and it's pretty low impact if you've got a lot of weight to lose.
  • SRDB00
    SRDB00 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    I'm so proud of you Miss Lady Bug. You are doing so well. I just had an appointment with my doctor on Monday about my knees. I'm glad to see that you are not giving up and are still moving. I hope your knees get better soon:flowerforyou:
  • luckyladybug24
    luckyladybug24 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    I'm so proud of you Miss Lady Bug. You are doing so well. I just had an appointment with my doctor on Monday about my knees. I'm glad to see that you are not giving up and are still moving. I hope your knees get better soon:flowerforyou:

Thanks SRDB00! and Thanks everyone else too! I just love MFP....I've gotten such wonderful support here and it feels amazing to know there are all you lovely people here to keep me up and going strong! Bunches of :heart: :heart: :heart: for you all! :happy: