Powerlifting women

Options
I am wondering how long I would have to do strength training before I would be strong enough to compete in my first powerlifting competition. I am 28yrs, 5 4, 128lb, 21% body fat and have been doing weight training with my personal traininer 4 days a week (1hr per session) for the last two months. The training I do at the moment is predominantly hypertrophy so I haven't gained much strength in that time. I realise that if I decide to go into powerlifting my training programme and diet will change. I started out on this journey because I wanted to look better. But I have literally fallen in love so deep with lifting. The weekends are long because I have to stay away from weights! I am also a very competitive person so I am looking for somewhere that I might fit into a competition in the weight lifting world. Bodybuilding is maybe too far appearance wise for me (although having said that I have such huge respect for the sheer graft and determination that is wrote all over the bodys of these women) ................figure modeling is little more than a beauty pagent in my view. But powerlifting............thats badass. So I am wondering, taking my current status into account................how long should I expect to be in strength training before I can compete? A ball park figure...

Replies

• Squirrel1601
    Options
    Depending what meets are in your area, there's not necessarily a qualifying total you need to compete. I entered my first PL comp this year after 6 months specific power lifting training, but I have been training 4 years prior with bb focus. I met other ladies that had only been lifting about 6 months with no previous lifting experience, and they lifted good.

If you're keen, start focusing on the 3 lifts for lower reps. When you feel ready, enter a comp. All the best :smile:
  • HelloDan
    HelloDan Posts: 712 Member
    Options
    Where are you based?

You should be able to find a meet, or at least a powerlifitng gym nearby, where you can at least go and just hang out or watch, and get a good idea of what to expect.

If you were really cool, you'd take up weightlifting! ;-)
  • JenMc14
    JenMc14 Posts: 2,389 Member
    Options
    You'll probably want to find a powerlifting coach. I'd suggest that, then working your program to up your weights and go from there. Check out this thread for an idea of what to expect: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1077868-my-first-powerlifting-meet-photos