Deciding on change.

Options
Hey there, complete newb here.

I say that I'm a complete newbie because I've never really focused on getting in better shape. I'm 233lbs, and I'm desperate to drop. So instead of expecting it to just happen, I've decided on making it happen. Usually, I stop trying after a week or so, but this time, I'm determined to stick it out, and a little support can't hurt, can it?

Well then, time for proper introductions. My name is Sammy, I'm 19, and very overweight. All my friends look wonderful and now it's time to put myself under that label. I want to lose weight so I can be in the best shape of my life, making me more able to care for my ill sister and her child whenever she needs me to, my mother and grandmother, as well as taking care of myself. I don't want to get to the stage where I'm 300lbs and feeling completely hopeless, so whilst there's still hope, I'm going to keep trying until I reach my goal.

I want to fit into beautiful clothes, and look good in a swimsuit, and be able to excercise without getting so fatigued. I want to be happy with who I am, and this is the first step.

Replies

• shaunthorpe1
    Options
    Well you come to the right place, Add me if you like..
  • Sjenny5891
    Sjenny5891 Posts: 717 Member
    Options
    Welcome to MFP. This is a great place to start.
    I'm Jenny. I started a couple of months after having my youngest child and it has done wonders for me.
  • joyfuljoy65
    joyfuljoy65 Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    You came to the right place - after years of yo yo dieting and giving up, I have found a tool and a support mechanism that works - this is just a tool btw - you still have to lose the weight yourself!! But the motivation here makes such a difference.
  • Meshell3786
    Meshell3786 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    Hello and Welcome, Feel free to add me if you Like I'm Down 45lbs this Year and at the stage its getting harder to loose I can always use new friends and Support :) One thing I highly recommend if you haven't take pictures of your starting point now cause in 3 months from my personal experience its hard to remember all the change. I looked back the other day and what a huge encouragement. Congrats on your New Changes Coming your way! :)
  • Lucy_6678
    Lucy_6678 Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    Welcome and feel free to add me! I feel the same way you do about clothes etc. Good luck and this is a great place for support!
  • Scottttoct
    Options
    anyone can add me!
  • jtall04
    jtall04 Posts: 6
    Options
    Hi ya'll! I'm here because a co-worker had sent me. I started to gain weight about 7 yeara ago very rapidly, & i didnt know why. I had went to 7 doctors & 3 OB/GYN's. They kept telling me its just stress. I knew it was something else. So, finally i went to the ER last year & found out it was my thyroid. I have gained 136lbs while trying to figure out where the weight was coming from. I made my mind up, I am 27 & want to join the Navy. I REFUSE TO SINK! Lets help each other on our adventure!
  • FrankiesSaysRelax
    FrankiesSaysRelax Posts: 403 Member
    Options
    Welcome! You can definitely do this! Look through the boards a bit and try to find some of the introductory posts, they are really helpful. Also, don't try to do too much too soon, that seems to be what gets people into trouble (in terms of abandoning the "diet"). Still eat things you like, try to add in extra movement as much as possible. If you any questions, feel free to message or friend me :)
  • AbstractAsterism
    AbstractAsterism Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    Welcome welcome! And congrats on taking your first steps!!! :) Feel free to add me.
  • elisa123gal
    elisa123gal Posts: 4,287 Member
    Options
    Hello and welcome... Read through the forums...it so helpful to see what people are doing. The success forum is a great one..shows you other people who've done it and what they did to accomplish their goals.

You'll see on here that there are different approaches to weight loss. Par tof this is having to find what will work for you. So don't get discouraged, because you have to put some time into figuring out how many calories and how much exercise will make you start losing.

All i can say that as long as i log in here every day and try... i keep slowly losing. Whenever I stopped logging in.. i started gaining back. So I log in.. do my best....and it is working.

Good Luck.
  • nurseybee
    Options
    Excellent decision, and it will change your life forever. I'm VERY short, and I got up to 186 in 2011. It happens so gradually, you almost don't even notice. I didn't, until I saw a photograph of myself at Darien Lake (an amusement park here in Upstate New York). I hated myself. Aside from that, 3 people in one day asked me when I was expecting.. So I committed to change, just like you. It took me 2 years and several times on this site before I got to where I am today.

It doesn't happen overnight, so it's easiest to make very minor changes, little by little. You can't make the changes at once, or you'll set yourself up to fail. Make small, almost unnoticeable changes, in very small increments. For example, I started by switching to diet sodas, rather than regular sodas. Then, I stopped eating after 8:30 altogether. Then, I started parking further away from the front door at work...

Now, I'm running 2-3 times each week, I'm able to tie my shoes again without feeling like I'm going to pass out or that my belly is in my way, I can sit down without having to adjust the rest of me... It took a lot, but the more I lost, the more energy I had to keep losing.

Good luck on here, and if you would like to add me, please do. I look forward to hearing more of your story!
  • vinylscratch
    vinylscratch Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    HEY! You do look fabulous! Just gotta get stronger, fitter and love yourself ;)

Add me! I'd love to support you on your journey! I started at 240 and am 24.
  • npc80
    npc80 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Looks like we have about the same to lose... I've sent you a friend request.
    This site really helps x
  • trogalicious
    trogalicious Posts: 4,583 Member
    Options
    I give this in a lot of noobie threads for people that show up here and want to lose weight.:

1. don't trust the initial setup that MFP provides. If you put in the wrong/inaccurate information, it'll tell you to eat an amount that may not be applicable.
    2. Make sure you eat enough.
    3. Figure out what works for you and is sustainable/healthy/long term.
    4. avoid fads. don't buy in to any "Hey, try the twinkie and vodka diet"
    5. Don't cut out anything now that you don't plan on literally giving up forever.
    6. GET A FOOD SCALE. Weigh everything. No, seriously.
    7. Get an HRM with a chest strap. You'll at least have a better idea of what you're burning. It'll be more accurate than the generic info in the exercise database.. and even more than the cardio machines.
    8. Don't go balls out. You'll burn out. I see 300 lb people show up here, instantly start working out and cutting their intake SEVERELY... trying to cut out all of their carbs at once.. whatever. Take it slow. Figure out how much you need to eat FIRST in order to lose.. then incorporate exercise.
    9. Don't cardio yourself to death.
    10. Take the information on the forums with a grain of salt. A lot of people that have been here for a while.. and have been successful, may seem jaded. They give out GREAT advice day after day, only to be met with people that refuse to listen.
    11. Eat real food. Not diet food. Not "low fat, sugar free, now without X." It's easier to get/find/count.
    12. don't set time restrictions.
    13. measure yourself weekly. Don't just weigh. Measure and take pictures.
    14 BE PATIENT.
    15. Avoid forum topics that have "1200" in the title. It's just full of butthurt. Lots of it.
    16. This isn't a game, it's about changing your lifestyle. Do that.

pretty much that.

...and don't fall into the "1200 calorie" vertigo of suck because of:

the typical MFP users does this:
    1. I wanna lose weight, let's try MFP.
    2. OH! Wow, it tells me I can lose 2 lbs a WEEK? AWESOME!
    3. I just sit at a desk when I'm not working out, I guess I'm sedentary.
    4. MFP tells them 1200 calories, and they don't even eat that.. then they work out on top of it.. creating an even bigger deficit.
    5. Lose a lot, fast, brag about 1200 calorie success.
    6. Come back in a few months trying to figure out why they're dizzy, tired, not losing weight.
    7. Get on the forums, ask why they aren't losing.
    8. Get two responses (I eat 1200 and lose) (I eat 2200 and lose)
    9. Argument ensues about who is right.

Now. That being said. These threads happen hundreds of times per day. Most times, and I mean really.. seriously.. 95% of the time.. people get the 1200 number because they don't put the right information in when they set up the account. There are a great number of people that are trying to help. I'm one of 'em.

I'm a hardcore advocate of actually finding out what works for the individual.. by means of other calculators, averages, time, practice, and patience.

Blanket prescriptions of 1200 calories "because it worked for me" is more harmful to the generic new user than the "figure out what you need to eat." Unfortunately, one is a LOT easier to type.

so there are a few thoughts.

That said, the forums are a great place for information and to meet folks, but you don't have to have friends on here to lose weight.