Am I eating too much carbs?

Options
Hi all,

I have been on my journey on and off for some time, but I really kicked into gear April 2013. I have lost a total of 11lbs so far. I am reevaluating my calories/intake and exercise. I am going to give you an average of what I tend to eat on a daily basis and would like to know what you all think...btw my diary may be open but I have not been logging on this site I have another app on my phone that I use.

Breakfast: 1 cinnamon raisin bagel w/peanut butter 314cal
Snack: 1 slice colby jack cheese 80cal
Lunch: 1 sandwhich consists of 2slice of ovenroaster turkey 2slice of hard salami and 1tbs of light mayo on whole grain 320cal
Snack: 1 pack of nature valley oats and honey granola 190
Dinner: 2 baked chicken breast tenderlions, 1cup mac and cheese, 1 cup of steamed broccoli 411cal

total average cal intake: 1315/day

I usually stick to this only with a occasonal mix of either oatmeal, romaine salad, talapia.

I would like to here your feed back for if I should change anything in my diet..I mean I am losing weight but I guess I am being impatient and wish to lose more quickly. Thanks in advance!

Replies

• MommaSherryB
    MommaSherryB Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    Have you tried to replace any of the breads/snacks with lower carb? like whole grain breads?
    For some reason the main thing my body gains weight on is sugar and carbs.

When my doctor told me I was headed for diabetes, I went on a diabetic type diet to get my glucose back to normal. I not only lost the weight easily but I have been able to easily maintain my current weight.

I don't eat over 300 carbs a day.

I substitute Stevia for sugar. (Buy bulk bag at Walmart)
  • trojanjoy
    Options
    a book called "it starts with food" is life changing (totally changed my life and how i try to pick what i eat). your meals are very focused on low calorie and don't appear all that nutritious. do you feel hungry as well throughout the day? if you cut out grains/artificial sugars and just stick to real foods (meat, veggies & fruit), you stay full way longer and feel better overall. the first week getting off the carb (grain/sugar) addiction is painful but afterwards you'll feel like a new person. i'm going on day 16 of absolutely no cheating with grains or sugars and feel fantastic. good luck to you on your journey. :)
  • wlinda224
    wlinda224 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Hi, I looked at your food list and this is just the way I like to eat too. I don't see a carb count but just from the looks of your food intake I would say you are eating to many carbs for the day. Eating the 165 carbs allowed per day you will lose weight very slowly and the only way to lose more quickly is eliminating carbs. 25plus years ago I lost 140 lbs and I did it by eating less than 100 carbs a day and 0 carbs for the first 2 weeks. eating mostly protein foods , very low carb veggies, and almost no bread or fruit. This was the Dr Atkins diet at that time and it worked for me. I am not recommending that you use his diet but you might want to try lowering your carb intake by 25 gr. per day for a week and see what happens. Good Luck, Linda
  • Heather032190
    Heather032190 Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone.

I have switched my bread to whole grain but as far as my pasta or bagels I have not. I dont give myself much time in the morning to eat a healthier breakfast but I have read and heard that carbs in the morning are good for you. I like salads for lunch but I had gotten to used to them I switched to a snadwhich. I think I will eliminate the pasta and add more veggies for sure.

I will definately have to look into the book and look into lowering my carb intake. I really think that is what is holding me back on losing more.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options
    carbs aren't the devil; weight loss is a slow process. 1-2 Lbs per week is safe and healthy weight loss. When you cut carbs you will lose a bit more quickly initially...but that is due to water loss, not fat loss. Your body can only oxidize so much fat in a given time. Patience is a virtue.
  • MileHighScott
    MileHighScott Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Firstly, Great job on the weight loss!!

I agree with the others. Carbs are good for you; they provide energy. You are better off switching to healthier, whole grain carbs than significantly limiting them.

One other thing, are you sure that the calories you are tracking are accurate. Just looking very quickly, you say that the bagel and peanut butter is only 314 calories. I did a quick search and depending on the size of bagel it ranges from 100-300 or so calories. 2 TBSP of peanut butter can go up to 190-200 calories. The dinner sounds like it would be more than 411 calories with the mac & cheese. A quick search on here shows Kraft Mac & Cheese (not sure what kind you have) at 400 calories/cup. I'd try to swap that out or limit it to once/week or every other week.

You could try a fresh fruit smoothie for breakfast. They are pretty easy to make. I make a large batch of steel cut oats on Sunday night and have them for breakfast throughout the week.
  • Heather032190
    Heather032190 Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    I am not looking to completely eliminate my carbs, just wondering if I was over doing which as I thought seems that I am. I know I need to be patient but trying to lose weight makes me anxious :ohwell: .

I eat the mini bagels from Peppridge farm and I only limit my self to no more than a tablesoon of peanut butter. As for the mac and cheese i just go off the app I use which says 1 cup is 260cal...might have to look into that.(wonder what else is really off).

I have been thinking about doing smoothies for some time just afraid to try and not sure where to start with them any suggestions?

Thanks everyone for the great feedback!
  • trojanjoy
    Options
    Advice on smoothies - eat the real fruit & veggies instead. The juicing process can take away fiber and other important parts of the fruit (depending on how you're juicing). I read an article a few weeks ago that said as far as health goes, the best options are 1. real fruit, 2. dried fruit with nothing added, distant 3rd is dried fruit with sugar added and very last place and far behind eating the fruit in its natural form is juice. Your body is also more satiated when you're chewing your calories vs. drinking them. Grains are absolutely not necessary for health - there's nothing you can't get from vegetables in a healthier and more bio available way. Lots of people are very resistant to this since we've all grown up with bread and it's been around for forever, but how they process grains now (even "whole" grains) makes it pretty much toxic to tons of people (think of how many are all of a sudden gluten intolerant). Again, good luck - but try to add veggies to every single meal you eat - they're low calorie and you can't beat the vitamins in them. :)
  • MileHighScott
    MileHighScott Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Advice on smoothies - eat the real fruit & veggies instead. The juicing process can take away fiber and other important parts of the fruit (depending on how you're juicing). I read an article a few weeks ago that said as far as health goes, the best options are 1. real fruit, 2. dried fruit with nothing added, distant 3rd is dried fruit with sugar added and very last place and far behind eating the fruit in its natural form is juice. Your body is also more satiated when you're chewing your calories vs. drinking them. Grains are absolutely not necessary for health - there's nothing you can't get from vegetables in a healthier and more bio available way. Lots of people are very resistant to this since we've all grown up with bread and it's been around for forever, but how they process grains now (even "whole" grains) makes it pretty much toxic to tons of people (think of how many are all of a sudden gluten intolerant). Again, good luck - but try to add veggies to every single meal you eat - they're low calorie and you can't beat the vitamins in them. :)

There is a big difference between smoothies and juices. Typically blending smoothies keeps the fiber and nutrients. It may even help with absorbtion of nutrients as well.

Very few people are actually gluten intolerant. Whole grains are part of a healthy lifestyle. They are very important ingredient for energy especially for exercise and fitness.

I agree with your advice to eat more veggies; that's about it.
  • trojanjoy
    Options

There is a big difference between smoothies and juices. Typically blending smoothies keeps the fiber and nutrients. It may even help with absorbtion of nutrients as well.

Very few people are actually gluten intolerant. Whole grains are part of a healthy lifestyle. They are very important ingredient for energy especially for exercise and fitness.

I agree with your advice to eat more veggies; that's about it.

At least the more veggies, less sugar is universally accepted. :)

http://authoritynutrition.com/11-biggest-lies-of-mainstream-nutrition/
  • melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    Options
    Every person's sensitivity to carbs is different, so no-one can say whetehr your diet is "too much carbs" except you.

Are you losing weight? Do you have enough energy for your workouts? Do you feel bloated or sluggish?
  • jennaworksout
    jennaworksout Posts: 1,739 Member
    Options
    yes
  • lkgarza
    lkgarza Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    a book called "it starts with food" is life changing (totally changed my life and how i try to pick what i eat). your meals are very focused on low calorie and don't appear all that nutritious. do you feel hungry as well throughout the day? if you cut out grains/artificial sugars and just stick to real foods (meat, veggies & fruit), you stay full way longer and feel better overall. the first week getting off the carb (grain/sugar) addiction is painful but afterwards you'll feel like a new person. i'm going on day 16 of absolutely no cheating with grains or sugars and feel fantastic. good luck to you on your journey. :)

Love this advice, helpful and real.
  • hookilau
    hookilau Posts: 3,134 Member
    Options
    Every person's sensitivity to carbs is different, so no-one can say whetehr your diet is "too much carbs" except you.

Are you losing weight? Do you have enough energy for your workouts? Do you feel bloated or sluggish?

THIS^^^^

I didn't know I had an issue with carb consumption & no one here on MFP did either, when I asked wth was going on with my inability to lose weight. I wasn't able to lose *any* though, this is where we differ.

You are losing weight at a reasonable pace, I don't see any reason to monkey with what's already working :drinker:
    Good luck and stay the course :wink:
  • lovelylovebug
    lovelylovebug Posts: 27 Member
    Options

I agree with you! After reading Wheat Belly, I look at all bread the same as I would other processed food. I'd recommend that book to anyone!
  • phieaglefan
    phieaglefan Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    [/quote]

http://authoritynutrition.com/11-biggest-lies-of-mainstream-nutrition/
    [/quote]

Excellent summary article, thank you! (That was supposed to be in quoted form - not sure how I messed that up!)

I'm not carb free, far from it, but I do limit my starchy carbs and sugar and it seems to work for me. I never limit my non-starchy vegetables. Then I add in the starchier stuff at sparing intervals. Those processed carbs are what make your blood sugar go up, make you secrete insulin, and that's what triggers fat storage.

That said, I don't think people should go drastic IF they can't sustain it for a long period of time. I considered eliminating all starchy carbs, but I know that's not a long term solution for me. So I am happy when my carbs are around 100 g. a day.

You could always try it and see how you do.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    Hi all,

I have been on my journey on and off for some time, but I really kicked into gear April 2013. I have lost a total of 11lbs so far. I am reevaluating my calories/intake and exercise. I am going to give you an average of what I tend to eat on a daily basis and would like to know what you all think...btw my diary may be open but I have not been logging on this site I have another app on my phone that I use.

Breakfast: 1 cinnamon raisin bagel w/peanut butter 314cal
    Snack: 1 slice colby jack cheese 80cal
    Lunch: 1 sandwhich consists of 2slice of ovenroaster turkey 2slice of hard salami and 1tbs of light mayo on whole grain 320cal
    Snack: 1 pack of nature valley oats and honey granola 190
    Dinner: 2 baked chicken breast tenderlions, 1cup mac and cheese, 1 cup of steamed broccoli 411cal

total average cal intake: 1315/day

I usually stick to this only with a occasonal mix of either oatmeal, romaine salad, talapia.

I would like to here your feed back for if I should change anything in my diet..I mean I am losing weight but I guess I am being impatient and wish to lose more quickly. Thanks in advance!

Seems like too many carbs. With 1315 calories a day, you need to balance your macros better, I don't think you're getting enough proteins at all (MFP's goal is too low). I'd change your macros to 40% carb, 30% fat, 30% protein. And way too few veggies and fruit as well. It's a wonder you're not starving with this diet. I would be.

Suggestions - ditch the breakfast, have some eggs, you'll get more protein and no carbs. At lunch get some kind of veggies or fruit, maybe switch the sandwich for a wrap with some veggies in it too. Snack ditch the granola bar and eat some plain greek yogurt or some cheese with some fruit. Dinner seems fine, although the mac'n cheese is a lot of calories for the nutrition. I'd ditch it, have some plain noodles or couscous (or sweet potato) and have more veggies.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    No, you are not eating too many carbs.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    I agree with you! After reading Wheat Belly, I look at all bread the same as I would other processed food. I'd recommend that book to anyone!

Wheat Belly? Of course I put dat wheat in mah belly! :drinker: