eyeopener

Options
Eyeopener

A colleague brought in some ww cake slices...and offered them around.
I read the packaging and found at 80 cals a piece of cake would be worth it...i chose the carrot cake with the iced top.
Had lunch and was soo looking forward to this ‘legal’ cake and what a disappointment...not in the taste which reasonably ok I might add but the quantity.
Thing is it got me thinking it was 2 small bites big...so in theory it was no different to any other cake in fact it was prob more calorific than normal cake.
The 80 cals did not come from some secret manufacture of using low fats and diet foods...the 80 cals came purely from the minute size.....well the future holds me doing my own baking and portioning accordingly....ps mine taste a darn site better too

Replies

• caramammal
    caramammal Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    totally agree, i guess it helps people, who dont want to count calories, with portion control.

I like to bake and to enjoy a treat, it needs to be a 500 calorie slice of something delicious to be worth it :)
  • KarenJanine
    KarenJanine Posts: 3,497 Member
    Options
    I stay well clear of 'diet' foods. It's mostly marketing.

Either you get a smaller piece so it's less calories (usually for the same price as a larger, regular cake), or the healthy fats are removed and replaced with extra sugar, sweeteners and the like to make them edible.

Stick to smaller piece of good quality cake.
  • icimani
    icimani Posts: 1,454 Member
    Options
    I agree - so much of the "diet" foods' low calorie boasting is more about serving size, and there's usually so many chemical and lots of salt.

If I'm going to "cheat" it better be worth it and not just 2 bites that taste like paste!
  • harleygroomer
    harleygroomer Posts: 373 Member
    Options
    This is NOT a diet---this I our lifestyle change.. I have taken out all processed foods and meats and am keeping with portion control as well. It is surprising what you NEED and what you THINK you need!!
  • Lonestar5775
    Lonestar5775 Posts: 740 Member
    Options
    So true. I notice people at work that bring in "diet" meals and they are simply small portions or a typical frozen meal. When I think how much more they spend I just feel sad. It's nothing they couldn't do for themselves just by controling portions.
  • TdaniT
    TdaniT Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    I agree carammamal that this is helpful for people who really don't want to track calories. Maybe it does help them with their portion control. I prefer to eat food and make sure I learn what portions are right. And I don't like the scrimp on taste either.
  • alexsheena
    Options
    I've noticed this too. The ww ready meals and crisps and everything all just have really tiny portions. The only ww thing I like is the frozen brownie dessert because I actually think it tastes really nice. Other than that I'd never get any other ww stuff. All of that diet stuff usually tastes disgusting. If you've tried the new special k crisps you will know what I mean, yuck yuck yuck!!
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    "Diet foods" are restricted from my diet. :bigsmile:
  • NonnyMary
    NonnyMary Posts: 982 Member
    Options
    Yes! i can agree with this.

yesterday i had a can of Progresso soup, thought I'd eat it, it was NASTY,, the meat in there was some kind of mystery meat. i only ate half.

Homemade food is FAR better tasty!!!