MFP CANNOT work exactly like Facebook.

Options
I've noticed that over half of the suggestions for improving/developing MFP were basically "Facebook based" suggestions - people wanted "like" buttons, similar notifications, the ability to upload links and photos the same way . . . but MFP can't straight up replicate Facebook, add a calorie counter, and throw in a fitness theme without serious legal ramifications.

I wish they could, but they can't.

Replies

• Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    Exactly. Plus, FB is fracking annoying with the ads and the lack of privacy.
  • mister_universe
    mister_universe Posts: 6,664 Member
    Options
    But...but...you could have at least broken it to me gently. :cry:

1572351_o.gif
  • TeachTheGirl
    TeachTheGirl Posts: 2,091 Member
    Options
    I don't think anyone is asking that they import the Facebook framework and work MyFitnessPal into it. I think what they're looking for is someone with SIMILAR functions.
  • TheGirlsATimeBomb
    TheGirlsATimeBomb Posts: 434 Member
    Options
    all i want is to know when someone wrote something on my profile ):
  • LaurenAOK
    LaurenAOK Posts: 2,475 Member
    Options
    Great point. Plus, MFP works just fine for what it is. It's a calorie counting website. Yes we can add "friends" for support, but this isn't a social networking site and it doesn't need to function like one.

Also, we have to consider how much money facebook has vs. MFP. Obviously facebook can afford to have a lot more features. I hate the ads popping up in my facebook news feed and I'd be mad if I started to see that here. Yes, I would love to be able to upload full-size photos so my friends could actually see and comment on them, but allowing people to do that would take up a huge amount of bandwidth that I'm pretty sure MFP doesn't have. Everyone complains without thinking of what they're actually asking for and how unreasonable it really is!
  • darkon
    darkon Posts: 5,342 MFP Moderator
    Options
    I guess people just would love to have a bit more of social side, not exactly a facebook clone, just a bit more or interactivity between members.

But after all, if you become close friends with someone there's always emails and social networks to keep chatting and such so i dont see the necessity
  • SageGoddess320
    SageGoddess320 Posts: 2,589 Member
    Options

I get an email notification any time a friend comments on my status or writes on my profile. Check your settings.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    I've noticed that over half of the suggestions for improving/developing MFP were basically "Facebook based" suggestions - people wanted "like" buttons, similar notifications, the ability to upload links and photos the same way . . . but MFP can't straight up replicate Facebook, add a calorie counter, and throw in a fitness theme without serious legal ramifications.

I wish they could, but they can't.

I don't think it's any kind of legal infringement if they could send notifications when people reply to the same wall thread or reply to something someone posted on your wall. FB is not the only site that does that.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options

I get an email notification any time a friend comments on my status or writes on my profile. Check your settings.

Yes, but if someone replies to the initial post, there is no notification.
  • hsmaldo
    hsmaldo Posts: 115 Member
    Options

Me too, go to Settings/Email preferences and you can select what activity will send you an email notification...
  • mister_universe
    mister_universe Posts: 6,664 Member
    Options
    Also, we have to consider how much money facebook has vs. MFP.

MFP apparently struggles to feed the one hamster they have running on the wheel that keeps the servers alive. I swear I've never seen such a big site with such lousy performance. The constant "site is down for maintenance" errors are laughable.
  • bluetrumpet01
    bluetrumpet01 Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    There are dozens of sites that copy Facebook functionality almost verbatim. Some of these even charge money for the services since they are for corporate clients. Two example's are Microsoft's Yammer and Salesforce's Chatter and both do it without legal threat. You simply aren't correct that they would get into legal trouble because of it.

I think this site already has enough fitness value added that it differentiates itself from Facebook rather well. However, if you're going to have a wall, friends, and groups, then they really should improve things like the wall, notifications, messaging, and photo uploading. Not doing so simply makes the site feel second rate.
  • BattleTaxi
    BattleTaxi Posts: 752 Member
    Options
    Putting a "Like" button on responses with a thumbs up/thumbs down feature is pretty common on a lot of forums. I wouldn't say that would be a legal issue.

Allowing you to upload photos from the app would be nice, as well as access to the forums via the app. They're just recommendations, suggestions, etc.

So much QQ for nothing. Sheesh!
  • BrainyBurro
    BrainyBurro Posts: 6,129 Member
    Options
    what is this "facebook" of which you speak?
  • _Krys10_
    _Krys10_ Posts: 1,234 Member
    Options

Me too, go to Settings/Email preferences and you can select what activity will send you an email notification...

That is annoying, that is a lot of email to delete. I'd like a notification similar to a FR or a PM.
  • AJinBirmingham
    Options
    TANGENT: If Facebook ads bother you, download Mozilla, add ons, Adplus and filter them out. It takes about 5 minutes.

Then say goodbye to Dr. Oz, Zoosk, and Open University.
  • trogalicious
    trogalicious Posts: 4,583 Member
    Options
    Exactly. Plus, FB is fracking annoying with the ads and the lack of privacy.
    adblock/ghostery plugins for either firefox or chrome. I've yet to see an ad or popup.
  • Railr0aderTony
    Railr0aderTony Posts: 6,803 Member
    Options
    Putting a "Like" button on responses with a thumbs up/thumbs down feature is pretty common on a lot of forums. I wouldn't say that would be a legal issue.

Allowing you to upload photos from the app would be nice, as well as access to the forums via the app. They're just recommendations, suggestions, etc.

there already is a arrow up and down button on Blogs.
  • BattleTaxi
    BattleTaxi Posts: 752 Member
    Options

there already is a arrow up and down button on Blogs.

Yup! :) I said that in reference to the forums, not blogs. It is something common to gaming/computer related forums.

Also, Google has a ad-block add on. Firefox blows imo.
  • bluetrumpet01
    bluetrumpet01 Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    - double post