Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

Logging Kettlebell exercises on here??

Does anyone log kettlebell exercises on here i cant seem to find them thanks

Replies

• Luvmichnata
    Luvmichnata Posts: 186 Member
    I know this may not be ideal but I created a kettlebell exercise under cardio and use my HRM to calculate the calories.
  • ttippie2000
    ttippie2000 Posts: 412 Member
    Sure. I log my kettlebell class at 800 calories if I'm not wearing my BodyMedia Link thingie. I've had my BodyMedia thing measure it at over 1000 calories in an hour, but that's a two t-shirt workout for a big guy in which I'm gasping for air in the breaks. My kettlebell class doesn't normally has more variety and not as much extended cardio blasting.

Having said that, Tracy Reifkind's book has some workouts that feature a high volume of basic swings. Some of the more advanced workouts in that book have more than 1k swings. Do that with a heavy kettlebell and you'll be crawling out of there.
  • Fitfully_me
    Fitfully_me Posts: 647 Member
    Sure. I log my kettlebell class at 800 calories if I'm not wearing my BodyMedia Link thingie. I've had my BodyMedia thing measure it at over 1000 calories in an hour, but that's a two t-shirt workout for a big guy in which I'm gasping for air in the breaks. My kettlebell class doesn't normally has more variety and not as much extended cardio blasting.

Having said that, Tracy Reifkind's book has some workouts that feature a high volume of basic swings. Some of the more advanced workouts in that book have more than 1k swings. Do that with a heavy kettlebell and you'll be crawling out of there.

HOLY HECK!!! 1000 Kettlebell swings in a single workout!?!??! :noway: UH..... not this chick. I like to go hard, but not that hard. I would be :sad: or #dead by the time class was over.
  • natty1408
    natty1408 Posts: 62 Member
    I know this may not be ideal but I created a kettlebell exercise under cardio and use my HRM to calculate the calories.

I do exactly the same : D
  • danwood2
    danwood2 Posts: 291 Member
    Not sure if this answers your question. If you don't have an HRM... I went under Cardio and logged my Kettlebell exercises as "Circuit training". The amount of calories you burn depends on a lot of different factors. Weight used, speed of reps, etc etc etc. this will give a round-a-bout number... you could burn more or less than what is logged...
  • I log it as circuit training, general. Seems most accurate to me!
  • joe_d
    joe_d Posts: 73 Member
    You can search for it and find it under cardio. Like other folks mentioned above, I use my Polar HRM to get the calorie burn.

However, most KB workouts are circuit training/interval type workouts. And I've read that HRMs can significantly overestimate your calorie burn for that type of exercise (e.g., see http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1044313-this-is-why-hrms-have-limited-use-for-tracking-calories). So if you're eating back exercise calories you might want to think about being conservative about what you eat back from your KB exercise.

On the other hand, it's a great workout no matter what.

But 1K swings in an hour? :huh: I did 200 1 armed swings with a 20 kg bell in 10 minutes last night, but much more than that would be over training, I think (not to mention 10 minutes of that is about all I can manage). Besides, there's all the other fun stuff to do--clean/squat/press combos, high pulls, snatches, sumo deadlifts, get ups...
  • Thanks everyone