Can too much sugar make you fat?

Options
If youre counting your calories and youre no where near the amount you need (for example lets say i was supposed to have 1,430 today and i only had1,090) but i had a lot of sugar can i gain weight?? HELP! Thanks in advance (:

Replies

• AnnaPixie
    AnnaPixie Posts: 7,439 Member
    Options
    if you eat more sugar than you expend it will get stored as glycogen with 3 parts water. So, in theory, yes!

However, it should only be water weight until you use it as energy. Which, in theory, you should use up if you are below your calorie deficit.

That's the science anyhow :laugh:

But if you only eat sugar, then you won't be nutrionally sound. You'll get hunger cravings and you'll probably cave on the diet. But then again, some people survive on sugar and lose weight.............who knows? The 'proper' way would be to eat a balanced diet, but I'm sure you know that.

Good luck :flowerforyou:
  • janet67
    Options
    A calorie is a measure of eneryg that your body uses. If you take in fewer calories (doesn't really matter what they are) than you expend, you will lose weight. The problem with excess sugar is that it raises your blood glucose and causes your body to produce excess insulin. If you are diabetic or hypoglycemic, eating too much sugar can cause problems for you. If you are healthy, the excess sugar will be metabolized and excreted. Just be sure you are getting enough variety in your foods so that your body has all the nutrients you need. If you fill up on sugary drinks and foods, you probably don't get the nutrients you need. Hope that answers your question. I guess the simple answer is no. lol
    janet67
  • ColetteDuchnowski
    Options
    If youre counting your calories and youre no where near the amount you need (for example lets say i was supposed to have 1,430 today and i only had1,090) but i had a lot of sugar can i gain weight?? HELP! Thanks in advance (:

I am not sure about you, but for an insulin resistant person, yes it can make you gain weight. There are a lot of useless carbs in sugar. How much sugar did you have and did you count it in your calorie allotment for the day? If that is part of your daily calories, eating that little for one thing, can put your fat cells into starvation mode and you can end up gaining weight because your fat cells don't want to let the fat go, so it will stay and accumulate. Also, if you are eating sugar as part of your calories, you will not be able to maintain proper nutrition. You are substituting sugar for good nutritious food. Plus eating sugar can set you up for a major binge eating session.
  • AlexTCasas
    Options
    First of all, sugar us not created equal. If your sugar comes from fruits, do not worry if it goes over. If the sugar comes from processed foods, sodas, etc..you will not gain weight anyway, but if your level of physical activity is low, some of this sugar will be converted into fat, slowing down your progress...
  • natalaylay09
    Options
    Yea all my sugar is from fruits and cereal Haha! I LOVE cereal Speacial K Vanilla Almond is probably my favorite! And i recently got some Skinny Cow ice cream and its yummyyy, I dont eat chocolate or candies or anything like that though so i think im ok :P But i do need to chill a little bit maybe?
  • natalaylay09
    Options
    Well i dont drink sodas all i ever drink is water and skim milk :) I also workout mon-fri sometimes saturday, nothing hardcore just power walking, yoga, and crunches