Aspartame

Options
For all of you who drink diet soda, crystal light or anything else with aspartame in it. You are poisoning yourselves.

Here is a link to a website that provides more info on what that stuff can/will do to your body.

http://www.sweetpoison.com/aspartame-side-effects.html

Replies

• Rynatat
    Rynatat Posts: 807 Member
    Options
    Totally agree! I'm glad I'm not a soda person, and I tried drinking crystal light for a short time to have something other than water to drink: wrecked my body in the process & took a few week to "detox"!

If I'm going to put something other than water in my system, I'll drink a glass of wine :laugh:
  • ashleyinthestars
    ashleyinthestars Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    My husband just recently got over what I called aspartame poisoning from drinking ALOT of crystal light (like 2 gallons or so in about a week's time). He started feeling like crap and actually experience alot of the symptoms. He stopped drinking it and after about a week he started feeling alot better.

I'm not a big diet soda fan (or ANY soda fan, really) and this episode definitely steers me clear of ANYTHING with aspartame now.
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options
    Yeah, because vanity websites that are trolling for gullible marks are SOOO reliable.
  • alicedavison
    Options
    i loves me some aspartame. nom nom nom.
  • fxst78
    fxst78 Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    She is trying to sell a book remember. She wouldn't sell too many of she said "some people can have reactions to aspartame but 95% of people will have no issues"
    You could say the same thing about wheat, gluten, milk, eggs, peanuts etc etc etc.

I still agree that it is a good idea to cut out processed and man made "Foods" as much as possible, but just remember that she has other motives other than just peoples health.
  • megsta21
    megsta21 Posts: 506 Member
    Options
    Helpful articles come in ALL SHAPES AND SIZES and from a range of sources.

For those who dont know what Aspartame is called or how to identify if a product has it, check the ingredients label, it will show up as "Sweetner 951"....
  • megsta21
    megsta21 Posts: 506 Member
    Options
    Thought I would share this info....

Safety controversy
    Main article: Aspartame controversy

Aspartame has been the subject of several controversies and hoaxes since its initial approval by the U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) in 1974. Critics allege that conflicts of interest marred the FDA's approval of aspartame, question the quality of the initial research supporting its safety,[40][41][42] and postulate that numerous health risks may be associated with aspartame.

The validity of most of these claims has been examined and dismissed.[43][44][45] In 1987, the U.S. Government Accountability Office concluded that the food additive approval process had been followed properly for aspartame.[40][46] Aspartame has been found to be safe for human consumption by more than ninety countries worldwide,[47][48] with FDA officials describing aspartame as "one of the most thoroughly tested and studied food additives the agency has ever approved" and its safety as "clear cut".[49] The weight of existing scientific evidence indicates that aspartame is safe at current levels of consumption as a non-nutritive sweetener.[3]

Source: Wikipedia
  • alicedavison
    Options
    there's no doubt that processed and artifcial foods aren;t healthy but the list of symptoms is so broad that anyone could suffer those side effects, and it could be any number of factors that effects the body not just sweetners.

i believe there is a little bit of scare tactics being used here and not enough coherent, scientific and relevant proof to back up any claims made to date.
  • bevdc
    bevdc Posts: 18
    Options
    I agree with fxst78! I know some people can't handle the artifical sweetners, but I personally am glad I'm able to use them. I'm now not classified as a type 2 diabetic after my weight loss and the sweetners played a big part of my loss, as I was being guided and directed by my diabetic dietician and diabetic nurses & doctor. No they're not for everyone but I'm not finding fault with those who do!!!!!:wink:
  • sophieg77
    Options
    alocedavison - I could not have said it better.

nom nom nomm nom.
  • This site mentioned is NOT the only site that discusses aspartame toxicity. There are plenty of research papers that have been done concerning this issue. There is also a disturbing story attached to the FDA approval for aspartame. I don't believe EVERYTHING I read online, or anywhere else for that matter, but when I have questions about something I search for answers ... Compare research studies and medical opinion ... And then I make an educated decision on the subject. The information can't simply be scare tactics if more than one source states the same thing. I took one look at this post, and the first thing that came to my mind was the word 'exaggeration' .... And reading this particular individual's site didn't convince me. One thing that does have me off looking for more research is the fact that methanol is used in aspartame ... Doesn't sound too appetizing.
  • musclebuilder
    musclebuilder Posts: 324 Member
    Options
    For all of you who drink diet soda, crystal light or anything else with aspartame in it. You are poisoning yourselves.

Here is a link to a website that provides more info on what that stuff can/will do to your body.

http://www.sweetpoison.com/aspartame-side-effects.html

You need to read through peer reviewed journals on these subjects.. Not just random articles from people selling this or that or some magazine ect..You google search this stuff and most of it is non credible nonsense.
  • musclebuilder
    musclebuilder Posts: 324 Member
    Options
    This site mentioned is NOT the only site that discusses aspartame toxicity. There are plenty of research papers that have been done concerning this issue. There is also a disturbing story attached to the FDA approval for aspartame. I don't believe EVERYTHING I read online, or anywhere else for that matter, but when I have questions about something I search for answers ... Compare research studies and medical opinion ... And then I make an educated decision on the subject. The information can't simply be scare tactics if more than one source states the same thing. I took one look at this post, and the first thing that came to my mind was the word 'exaggeration' .... And reading this particular individual's site didn't convince me. One thing that does have me off looking for more research is the fact that methanol is used in aspartame ... Doesn't sound too appetizing.

There is more Methanol in tomato juice. People see the word methanol and jump to conclusions..They don't consider the dose. The dose is very small and easly metabolized.
  • fit2sit
    fit2sit Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    Azdak and Musclebuilder, couldn't agree with you guys more. There is so much research out the, both positive and negative that these authors can cherry pick the best snippets of bad research to scare people int their beliefs. Remember the Saccharine studies form the 1970s? Dose rats up with 1,000x a normal dose for 30 days straight and see what happens? cancer? well Saccharine causes cancer. After 300 peer reviewed studies disproved that research it was removed from the National Toxicology Program’s “Report on Carcinogens” in 2000.
  • lilmom1
    Options
    To agree or not to agreee. I do, but for those who dont I think she was just trying to help so thanks for the heads up and looking out for all of us!!
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options
    To agree or not to agreee. I do, but for those who dont I think she was just trying to help so thanks for the heads up and looking out for all of us!!

We are trying to do the same thing--you're welcome.
  • kennedar
    kennedar Posts: 306 Member
    Options
    Personally I stay away from it, because it makes me crave sugar like no ones business. I accidently ate something with it earlier in the week and by the end of the day I ate a bag of Cheesies and some fruit loops. The fake sugar just totally messes with my mind and all I can think about is junk food afterwards. I didn't even know it was in the fruit pack until I got home from work, by which point I had already binged on the Cheesies! If you can eat it without any side effects, great! But I totally can not!
  • rolandhulme
    rolandhulme Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    It has been linked, conclusively, to cancer in lab rats - and it was almost made illegal in Europe for that reason. I have the odd diet soda, despite my best judgment, but amongst my friends we'll all refer to Diet Coke as 'rat poison' because we know it's terrible, terrible stuff.