Advice on food for big guys

Options
I have a friend who is working on losing weight. He is 6'4", somewhere around 260. He is a big guy with a big appetite. Are there any suggestions from other guys out there with big appetites on what types of lunches work well? Also, any chain restaurant meals you can recommend? He likes to eat out occasionally, so some guidance on filling meals for eating out would be great. Any of you have favorites? And what about desserts at home? I can't imagine that the chocolate vitamuffins that I have discovered on here are the type of thing that will fill him up, so I feel at a loss to give him real recommendations.

Replies

• jrich1
    jrich1 Posts: 2,408 Member
    Options
    I am 6'2 and 247 now (started at 314), and I just eat snacks about every 2 hours so I am never really starving, and I plan out my snacks (Fiber one bars, popcorn, cheese sticks) to be filling and lower in cals. For lunch I eat stuff like lean cuisine meals and stuff, I usually hit right around my 1750 cals a day maybe a little over eating about every 2-3 hours.
  • jrich1
    jrich1 Posts: 2,408 Member
    Options
    I was thinking about this some more and my personal experience, having a big appetite usually ends up eating more than he needs too, He is going to have to learn to eat less and eat better.

my diary is open and you might get some ideas of what I have been eating (today is missing, its my bday)
  • fxst78
    fxst78 Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    Make sure every main meal (breakfast lunch and dinner) has a very large amount of vegetables (broccoli, spinach etc, not carrots potato etc) and that way each meal will be huge, will fill him up but will still be overall low cal.
  • msarro
    msarro Posts: 2,748 Member
    Options
    Best advice is to consume about 100-150 calories every hour or two. It keeps hunger at bay. However for some people this can be a bit of a lifestyle shift since your 'big meals' just become glorified snacks.
  • chrisdavey
    chrisdavey Posts: 9,834 Member
    Options
    Same sorts of foods that everyone should be eating. Just have to consume the correct amount. Stick with veggies, lean proteins, low gi carbs.

Re desserts: cottage cheese and a variety of things are very tasty (to me :)), healthy and filling.
  • e1ny
    e1ny Posts: 29
    Options
    Thanks, guys! I really appreciate the advice. I will pass it along to him.
  • e1ny
    e1ny Posts: 29
    Options
    Also, jrich1, Happy Birthday! That is a good excuse not to spend time inputting data in the food diary, and so nice that you still took time to give advice. Thanks again!
  • iplayoutside19
    iplayoutside19 Posts: 2,304 Member
    Options
    Eat the same healthy foods everyone else does....just more of it. Veggies, lean protien, and some carbs...all within the calorie goal.
  • dinos
    dinos Posts: 1,390 Member
    Options
    I was thinking about this some more and my personal experience, having a big appetite usually ends up eating more than he needs too, He is going to have to learn to eat less and eat better.

my diary is open and you might get some ideas of what I have been eating (today is missing, its my bday)

Yep, never starve. Eating slow is very important as well. It takes 10-15 minutes for the food to start filling you up; this is enough time to eat obscene amounts of food
  • StuAblett
    StuAblett Posts: 1,141 Member
    Options
    I got to agree with the eating smaller amounts more often, also, I try to get most of my carbs in the AM, this seems to work better for me, and I drink lots of water or tea, but nothing sweet!
  • romping
    romping Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    How come nothing sweet? What about flavoring your water with zero calorie sweetner flavors? Is that bad?