Cedar Point....Super worried I might be too big?!

Options
2»

Replies

• Weezoh
    Weezoh Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    I am 5'10" approx 260 right now with a 46" waist and 50" chest. I'm currently at cedar point and was concerned about fitting. So far the only thing that was a definite no-go was the wicked Twister. No way can I get that side belt clasped

Wrt the new Gatekeeper - I was close and the attendant at the test seat told me to make sure to tell the gate attendant row four. That row's belts are about 1" longer.

No problems on iron dragon, raptor, blue streak (although the divided seat was very tight on my hips)

Ill try to update the list over the next couple days.

To follow up:

Gatekeeper is awesome and in my opinion, left side is better than right side.

Other coasters I couldn't fit were the Top Thrill Dragster (No great loss imo) and the Millennium Force (Which I was hoping to ride). All three of those seem to require about a 40" waist or less because I was 6-8" from getting the buckle clasped.

I was good on all other coasters or thrill rides I tried (Didn't try the MaxAir - No way, no how was I riding that) but I did fit fine on the Wind Seeker.

Didn't get to ride the Maverick (Although I fit in the test seat just fine) because it was down most of the time we were at the park and then didn't want to wait over an hour when it was up (if it were full-on summer maybe we would have but we walked onto just about everything in <20 mins including the Gatekeeper)
  • akissi00
    akissi00 Posts: 1
    Options
    I am going to Cedar Point at the end of July, and I am a lot bigger than I was the last time I went in 2006. So I have been worried about being able to fit on the rides. This thread has helped me in seeing that I have some work to do. I am a size 16/18, weight 210 pounds, and have a 42" waist. I just want to say thanks for all the tips!
  • rmt299
    rmt299 Posts: 1
    Options
    Hi,

I just wanted to share some feedback regarding Cedar Point. I am from NJ and took the 8 hour drive to Sandusky with my 10 year old son the last week of June 2013. We had a great time despite the rain (it rained - and I mean poured - all 5 days we were there). We did spend a considerable amount of time at an indoor waterpark (Maui Sands). They also have the Kalahari which we may hit next time. Good to have a backup plan. I am a touch over 6' and currently about 305 lbs. I have lost 30 lbs. since the beginning of 2013 and am working my way - slowly but steadily - toward my goal. I hope to be in the 225-240 range by summer of 2014. I am a former football player and have a very stocky build - basically broad everywhere. I have broad shoulders, my chest is probably 52+, waist is in the 44" inch range. I could probably fit into 44" khakis but my legs force me into a 46" currently. I was able to fit on the following rides at Cedar Point:

Coasters:
    Cedar Creek Mine Ride - legs crossed, could barely breathe :)
    Corkscrew
    Gemini
    Iron Dragon
    Magnum-XL 200
    Maverick
    Mean Streak

Other Rides:
    Monster
    Witches Wheel

I did not fit on:
    Blue Streak
    Gatekeeper
    Raptor

I would not be able to fit on Mantis (same restraint system as Raptor) and based on what I've read Milennium Force, Dragster and Wicked Twister would not be too accomodating so I didn't try those - MF and Dragster are probably a little too much for me anyway. I didn't try any other rides. My son enjoyed Skyhawk and MaXAir but those just aren't for me. My favorite ride was Maverick. That ride is exceptional and just my style (fast but drops are not excessive).

I really used the Cedar Point trip as incetive to lose the weight (booked trip well in advance) so I could spend some quality time with my son and plan to do the same the next 2 years. I would like to split 1 week and hit King's Dominion/Busch Gardens VA in 2014 and Cedar Point (again)/King's Island in 2015. I also have my eye on Canda's Wonderland.

Good luck and enjoy the journey. Be realistic about weight loss and enjoy each day. I once lost 70 lbs. in 7-8 months and am on my way to doing it again. If there is one tip I could give to anyone, it would be this: Drink plenty of water and cut out all soft drinks (diet or otherwise). Cedar Point is a special place and I hope to return soon (and hope for better weather next time).
  • nxd10
    nxd10 Posts: 4,570 Member
    Options
    My husband is 240 and as had no problem.
  • godsgrl33
    godsgrl33 Posts: 307 Member
    Options
    I have gone to Cedar Point when I was a size 18, although I was about 200 lb. I am 5'5". Some of the rides were a little bit of a squeeze, but I fit just fine. There might be a few rides that are tight, but most of those have a seat that you can test yourself in before you actually stand in line for an hour.
  • CysterWigs
    CysterWigs Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    If you are big in the middle you won't fit on the Millenium Force or Top Speed Dragster. Raptor and Maverick will be tight, and the wood coasters will pinch. I'm not sure about Gatekeeper. Luckily, they put a spare seat at the beginning of every line so you can see if you'll fit. I love Cedar Point. If you check out my profile, you'll see that fitting on the first two coasters I mentioned is one of my reasons for losing weight. Have fun!
  • kb85505
    kb85505 Posts: 1
    Options
    I'm a guy. I'm about 5'10" and weigh about 230 lbs. I'm solidly built. I don't really have a gut. I'm more stocky than anything else. My weight is distributed pretty evenly across my body. I have big legs and a larger chest. My waist is right at about 39.

I just got back from CP yesterday. Some of the rides are a challenge to get on. I verified with one of the operators that CP did indeed shorten some of the belts a few years back. I go every year. It was noticable last year.

I think body shape is a bigger issue than weight on these rides. I noticed people quite a bit bigger than me having less problems on the rides. I think someone with a larger stomach, but narrower hips (think classic beer gut) will find it easier to ride the rides than someone built like me.

Overall, I seem to have a bigger problem with the shoulder harnesses than the lap belts. My stomach doesn't touch the harnesses, but my chest makes them jut out. I barely got them closed on Raptor and Mantis. Gatekeeper and Maverick were much better. I was pretty close on all of them. The only one I couldn't ride was the Wicked Twister. I was a good 3 inches away from getting that to snap. I used to ride that without a problem until last year.

As far as the lap belts, the Dragster was the toughest, followed closely by the Millenium Force. If you are going to have a problem with the lap belt rides, it will be those. The ride operators on dragster are very helpful if you need a little extra tug on the belt. They are much less helpful on Millenium Force. No problems at all on any of the other coasters.

Hope that helps someone.
  • nxd10
    nxd10 Posts: 4,570 Member
    Options
    My husband is into the martial arts and has huge shoulders. That is definitely more of an issue. Lap belts can go on your hips. But shoulder straps need to get over that broad chest and upper body.
  • Rachelphobia
    Options
    Hi! I am 5'9 and 260lbs. About a month ago I went to Cedar Point with my boyfriend who weighs 115 lbs. I rode in the same car as him and I weighed 270 lbs and had 53" hips. I also have 38H chest :/ I carry most my weight in my chest, hips, and thighs.

We fit under the same seat belt or lap bar okay. On the roller coasters that harness you in over youe chest I was kind of uncomfortable but still fit and enjoyed the ride. I don't think you will have to worry.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,538 Member
    Options
    Help! I am asking if you guys have been to Cedar Point? I've been on their website read that if you are over 200 pounds (check...I'm 290 and 5'6") and wear greater than a size 18, you will have issues riding their rides. I completely understand that people carry weight differently, but has anyone ridden there that is a size 18/20? Did you have issues with rides? I wear a size 18 comfortably right now. I dont want to drive 8 hours and not be able to ride anything. It would make for one miserable vacation. I routinely go to Hershey Park and have no issues with their rides. Any help would be greatly appreciated!!
    TIA
    Manda
    Lots of the rides have harness that go over the shoulders. They have to have a "green" indicator showing on safety check or rider has to leave. Honestly at your stats, I do believe that you may not be able to go on many of the rides since many of them are some of the best coasters in the US for speed and loops.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness industry for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • swiviol
    swiviol Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    So this is me this summer - worried if I will fit on some of the rides.

I go to Cedar Point almost every summer (I live in Michigan and it's a quick 2 hour drive).

Last summer I was 225 pounds and about a size 18. I fit into all the coasters I went on but Millennium Force was a tight fit, as was Magnum.

This summer I am a size 20 and about 240 pounds. I'm going with my boyfriend and two (smaller) friends, and none of them should have a problem getting on the rides.

Worried that I may have to do a "walk of shame" on some of the rides :neutral: has anyone been recently who is around my size?

I know Millennium has a 'test seat' in the front before you get in line so I will do that. I'd rather wait for my friends on a bench outside for an hour or so then wait in line and not fit.
  • Theo166
    Theo166 Posts: 2,564 Member
    Options
    Help! I am asking if you guys have been to Cedar Point? I've been on their website read that if you are over 200 pounds (check...I'm 290 and 5'6") and wear greater than a size 18, you will have issues riding their rides. I completely understand that people carry weight differently, but has anyone ridden there that is a size 18/20? Did you have issues with rides? I wear a size 18 comfortably right now. I dont want to drive 8 hours and not be able to ride anything. It would make for one miserable vacation. I routinely go to Hershey Park and have no issues with their rides. Any help would be greatly appreciated!!
    TIA
    Manda

I thought their weight limits varied by ride. You may need to go alone on some rides, or with a smaller child.
    There are weight limits posted for several rides. The weight limits listed here are per ride unit and must be dispersed between the two to four riders that the vehicle accommodates.

Balloon Race (300 lbs.)
    Camp Bus (440 lbs.)
    Frog Hopper (500 lbs.)
    Helicopters (220 lbs.)
    Lolli Swing (275 lbs.)
    Monster (400 lbs.)
    Peanuts 500 (275 lbs.)
    Red Baron (220 lbs.)
    Prof. Delbert's Frontier Fling (800 lbs.)
    Scrambler (510 lbs.)
    Sky Fighters (100 lbs.)
    Sky Ride (660 lbs.)
    Super Himalaya (495 lbs.)
    Tilt-A-Whirl (800 lbs.)
    Troika (330 lbs.)
    Wave Swinger (230 lbs.)
    Woodstock Express (300 lbs.)
  • veganj1
    veganj1 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I have a season pass and I go all the time. For starters don't even attempt to ride wicked twister, you need to be a toothpick (not really I just fit back on it on Tuesday after not fitting last Friday) I'm 6' and weigh 250. When I was 257 it was a close call on the raptor and gatekeeper (row 6 has an extended seatbelt for the biggins on gatekeeper) most everything else should be ok. Millenium has a tight seatbelt but you can usually shoehorn in.
  • SadDolt
    SadDolt Posts: 173 Member
    edited May 2017
    Options
    girl...save yourself the embarrassment and just lose the 15lbs.
  • PaulaWallaDingDong
    PaulaWallaDingDong Posts: 4,641 Member
    Options
    SadDolt wrote: »
    girl...save yourself the embarrassment and just lose the 15lbs.

:expressionless: