Low Carb & Calorie Counting

Options
Najay
Najay Posts: 273 Member
I have been watching my carb intake for the last two weeks along with calorie counting and doing my normal workouts. I have mixed reviews regarding low carb eating.

1st wk - I lost 9 lbs, which I know was mostly water and detox. I felt good and had energy to push myself in my workouts. Eating extra protein had me full for a change. But not many options for breakfast besides eggs. I made a quiche and added different low carb veggies, cheese and turkey sausage or bacon. Sounds good, but gets old quickly. For snacks I ate peanut butter, kale chips, walnuts, peanuts and turkey pepperoni. (Allergic to almonds or I would have had those instead.) For lunch and dinner I eat baked chicken or fish, veggies and salads.

2nd week - I am only down 1 lb. I was hungrier this week than last and craved water. Still worked out like normal. Sick of eating eggs and limited options of veggies and no fruits, since they are high in sugar. Starting Thursday I begin to feel like crap, no energy and just tired and sleepy. My friends freaked out, because I was literally the walking dead at work. I felt so bad that I ate more carbs than what I was accustomed to for the last two weeks just to get energy. That instantly perked me back up too, until the crash came tumbling down again. Not sure what the heck is going on, but it doesn't feel good. Last night I made myself go to bed early and get more rest. Woke up this morning feeling better but still dragging. (If you look closely you will see my butt marks dragging on the carpet. LOL) Not sure if my body is fighting off something or if the low carb eating is effecting me.

Any suggestions? Remarks?

Replies

• scottaworley
    scottaworley Posts: 871 Member
    Options
    I have been watching my carb intake for the last two weeks along with calorie counting and doing my normal workouts. I have mixed reviews regarding low carb eating.

1st wk - I lost 9 lbs, which I know was mostly water and detox. I felt good and had energy to push myself in my workouts. Eating extra protein had me full for a change. But not many options for breakfast besides eggs. I made a quiche and added different low carb veggies, cheese and turkey sausage or bacon. Sounds good, but gets old quickly. For snacks I ate peanut butter, kale chips, walnuts, peanuts and turkey pepperoni. (Allergic to almonds or I would have had those instead.) For lunch and dinner I eat baked chicken or fish, veggies and salads.

2nd week - I am only down 1 lb. I was hungrier this week than last and craved water. Still worked out like normal. Sick of eating eggs and limited options of veggies and no fruits, since they are high in sugar. Starting Thursday I begin to feel like crap, no energy and just tired and sleepy. My friends freaked out, because I was literally the walking dead at work. I felt so bad that I ate more carbs than what I was accustomed to for the last two weeks just to get energy. That instantly perked me back up too, until the crash came tumbling down again. Not sure what the heck is going on, but it doesn't feel good. Last night I made myself go to bed early and get more rest. Woke up this morning feeling better but still dragging. (If you look closely you will see my butt marks dragging on the carpet. LOL) Not sure if my body is fighting off something or if the low carb eating is effecting me.

Google "carb flu".
    Also, 1 lb per week is great!
  • snazzyjazzy21
    snazzyjazzy21 Posts: 1,298 Member
    Options
    If you struggle with low carb, don't do it. To be effective, it needs to be sustained long term, which many can struggle with. Personally, I find that low carb for me isn't sustainable, but eating carbs also hasn't effected my weightloss so I find no need to change.
  • lilRicki
    lilRicki Posts: 4,555 Member
    Options
    Yep, carb flu

also, who said you have to eat breakfast food for breakfast? I had pork tenderloin and steamed veggies the other day. Eggs are my staple though, I go on Pinterest and find out tons of different egg recipes.

It does get boring after awhile, I find I have to google different recipes to make myself feel better. Different ways to cook chicken, different way to cook veggies. But all in all, I feel good. I beat the carb flu, I've become smarter in my food choices and I'm proud that I don't eat an entire box of crackers anymore.

Edit to add: throw yourself out there and find some low carb friends with open diaries, you'll be amazed at what people eat :)
  • prgirl39
    prgirl39 Posts: 108
    Options
    I have type 2 diabetes so I need to watch my carb intake. It is a struggle but I have to be constant no matter what. I add oatmeal to my breakfast and fruit salads too. For the this change has to be for the rest of my life. Just be strong and eat. The most important thing is to find nutrients in other foods as well.
  • scottaworley
    scottaworley Posts: 871 Member
    Options
    Yep, carb flu

also, who said you have to eat breakfast food for breakfast? I had pork tenderloin and steamed veggies the other day. Eggs are my staple though, I go on Pinterest and find out tons of different egg recipes.

It does get boring after awhile, I find I have to google different recipes to make myself feel better. Different ways to cook chicken, different way to cook veggies. But all in all, I feel good. I beat the carb flu, I've become smarter in my food choices and I'm proud that I don't eat an entire box of crackers anymore.

How long did it take you to get past carb flu? Any hot tips for overcoming it?
    I don't eat low carb, but I see a lot of people asking about it.
  • blgerig
    blgerig Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    I don't like eliminating whole foods like fruits and certain veggies! Maybe adjust to avoid processed carbs, refined sugars, etc but allow yourself fruit and things like that.

But I also like to eat out at restaurants, drink, etc and don't plan to eliminate all that - everything in moderation for me! :)
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    Is there a medical reason that you are doing low carb? I say that because going low carb is not necessary to lose weight.

I try to "re-hab" my carb intake ..... but not omit them. By re-habbing.... I put protien & fats first. I make sure I get those with every meal. Then I focus on whole foods .... whether it's grains, or fruits. I just try to eat less processed foods. It's processed foods that often have less protien, less fiber, added sugars, and added sodium.
  • tworthen79
    tworthen79 Posts: 1,173 Member
    Options
    I was watching my carbs the first 3 mos of this journey and I lost around 29lbs. And the first few weeks of that I felt like I was sick, muscle aches, tired, I just felt like crap. So I agree with the others' carb flu.

Now I don't watch my carbs. It isn't a lifestyle I can continue forever. I like my fruits, breads and pastas. And I feel better. Everything in moderation. Unless you're diabetic or have been advised by your doctor to be on a low carb diet, I would try to add a little more carbs gradually, until you feel better. You don't have to go overboard.
  • ryry_
    ryry_ Posts: 4,966 Member
    Options
    Yep, carb flu

Time
  • BetseeT
    BetseeT Posts: 1
    Options
    I've been low carb'ing it for 7 weeks and I've lost officially 23 lbs. You're not eating enough. The first two weeks, IMO, you eat. You eat all the meat and veggies you can shove into your yap. You make sure you eat the snacks. If you're not hungry for the snacks, eat less at the meals, but you EAT.

As a woman, it also depends on where you're at on your cycle. If you don't lose anything, but maybe gain a pound or two, why hello PMS. I low carb'ed the first time about 10 years ago, in my 30s. It worked pretty well then, but I fell off the wagon because of stress. This time, I'm 43, my cycles are... different, my cravings are different, my life is different, and NOW, this low carb thing is easy.

As someone else said, you don't have to eat eggs for breakfast. Eat whatever you want, as long as there are no carbs.
  • citizenstarr
    citizenstarr Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I did a very low carb diet (under 20 carbs per day), got really sick in week 2 and was told that it was carb flu as well. I know carb flu does exist but I went through it and on to more problems. On week 3 I started getting dizzy spells. On week 4 I got severe cramps in my legs and back that I had never felt before in my life. I was told to take potassium supplements to help but that was my breaking point. I don't want to be on any diet that gives me new health problems every week. You can try taking a potassium supplement and keep going with the low carb diet to see if that was the missing puzzle piece. Google around for potassium on a low carb diet advice. Pay attention to what your body is telling you! Good luck.
  • kenzietate
    kenzietate Posts: 399 Member
    Options

Sounds like you are going through the carb flu. Try drinking broth/bullion to get your electrolytes up. Next week will be better if you stick with it! The broth will help you get rid of your headaches and give you a bit more energy. But honestly you will just need to give it time. It should only last a couple more days. Trust me it will be worth it! The energy boost after getting through the flu stage is AWESOME!!

One thing I will say is make sure you are getting enough fat. If you are full longer you will automatically eat less. So don't worry so much about calories especially for the first few weeks! Just keep tracking and keeping your carbs down and your protein moderate. Eat more fat to feel full!

Hope you feel better soon!
  • AJ_G
    AJ_G Posts: 4,158 Member
    Options
    Suggestions? I suggest you get off low carb, get on a sustainable diet with a standard calorie deficit that has you eating whatever you want and hitting good macros. Don't torture yourself with a diet you don't enjoy...
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    It took me about a week- now I eat around 50-100 grams a day- which only some times qualifies me really for super low carb (low carb being defined as 20% or less of your diet is carb's) But when I hit it hard to start and cut it all cold turkey- I had grain flue- took me about a week to get over it.

I found I had to physically eat more too.

That being said- I literally eat eggs every day.... and bacon- I'd cut the turkey bacon unless it's for moral/ethical/physical reasons- there is no real reason to NOT eat real bacon.

Besides- it's more delicious.
  • Najay
    Options
    Yep, carb flu

Edit to add: throw yourself out there and find some low carb friends with open diaries, you'll be amazed at what people eat :)

Thank you so much. Now I know its just the carb flu. I googled it and 10x tiredness is dead on. LOL
  • Najay
    Options
    Thanks everyone for all the input. Gives me more ideas on what I need to do to stay focused. No real medical reason why I changed to this. But I have been on a plateau for months and I'm sick of it. Needed something to boost my weightloss again.
  • lilRicki
    lilRicki Posts: 4,555 Member
    Options
    Yep, carb flu

To be honest, I don't remember...I didn't know that's what I was going through. I remember feeling like crap and not exercising because I couldn't get my *kitten* off the couch, but I just thought it was PMS, or depression. I was a carb-a-holic too so my body took a beating when I went low carb. I also just thought it was my weight training and I had over done it. After awhile I told myself to stop sniveling and I picked myself up, so I did and I actually feel a lot better then when I carb overloaded. Once a week I do throw the low carb out the window (ok maybe every weekend) but I've seen more of a loss doing carb loading on weekends and working out then I have in the 2 years I've been tracking my calories. It's all trial and error and I think I've finally found my secret.
  • TriTri76
    TriTri76 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Girl I know exactly how you feel. I feel lethargic, drousy and constantly tired. Its very aggravating I'm on day 12 and boy does it suck, It will go away though once you slowly add in the whole grains which I anticipate starting on Monday!! Yippee!!!
  • rosej31
    rosej31 Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    Everything in moderation.....Maybe you should add complex carbs in your diet instead refined sugar. Just remember the average pound to lose is 1 or 2lbs a week. Everyone is different as far nutrition....I had to learn that myself....Get to know your body how does it work as far foods.

Good Luck
  • CallMeCupcakeDammit
    CallMeCupcakeDammit Posts: 9,377 Member
    Options
    Aaah, I was bumping the wrong one! :smile: