Lose weight without exercise

Options
I want to lose about 1 lb a week without exercise. Although I currently do cardio 3-4 days a week, I may not be able to in the near future. Now my question is will I be able to lose atleast 1 lb per week considering I only need to lose 20lbs? I ask because I have heard its hard to lose weight on diet alone if you're not super overweight. Here's some stats in case it helps:

Male
182lb
Goal: 160-165
Height 5 feet 10 inches

Replies

• micheleb15
    micheleb15 Posts: 1,418 Member
    Options
    Exercise is not necessary for weight loss, but to lose 1 pound a week, you're going to have to cut your food by 3,500 calories.
  • pastryari
    pastryari Posts: 8,646 Member
    Options
    Weight loss requires a caloric deficit. How you achieve that deficit is up to you and doesn't have to be through exercise.
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options
    You can lose the weight without exercise, with a caloric deficit alone. But exercise will make your body look and function much better when you're done.
  • KANGOOJUMPS
    KANGOOJUMPS Posts: 6,472 Member
    Options
    NO!!!!!!!
    go get some exercise!
    NOW!!!!
    even if it is just your arm drinking beer.
    do it!
  • _EndGame_
    _EndGame_ Posts: 770 Member
    Options
    How can you go from 3-4 sessions of exercises weekly to absolutely none? Incorporating exercise into your diet allows you to eat more, as you're probably already aware of.

Anyway, as someone mentioned before, it's all about the deficit and how you plan to achieve it. I personally couldn't survive on the calorie allowance set by MFP, so exercise is a necessity for me, but each to their own!

Good luck!
  • Thruen
    Thruen Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    Its possible but why would you skip the best part? Eating less is the only sucky part ^^
  • JayWalk39
    JayWalk39 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    Exercise is not necessary for weight loss, but to lose 1 pound a week, you're going to have to cut your food by 3,500 calories.
    ^ This!

Just keep in mind that some of the loss will be muscle.
  • jayce54321
    jayce54321 Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    I'm in the same boat for the next 4-6 weeks. I'm having a hernia repair Monday and the doc has already said no workouts. If I try to cheat my wife will have a fit.
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    Set your goal to lose 1 lb/week and eat all your cals according to MFP.
  • bluecatguide
    bluecatguide Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I lost all my weight without exercise....because of health issues...the name of my blog is health reasons didn't stop me....it can be done with hard work and clean eating.
  • Mrsfreedom41
    Mrsfreedom41 Posts: 330 Member
    Options
    You can lose weight without exercise - however read the article about losing weight on the Mayo Clinic website. It has a lot of good information. If you can't exercise, at least you can move your arms and legs and walking is part of moving. I can't do too many strenuous exercises either, but walking is the best thing for me. After all you have to walk to get anywhere.:flowerforyou:
  • Tryin2Lose20
    Options
    Thanks a lot everyone :)