Beating pitfalls of morning workouts

Options
This semester, it's looking like I'll be able to squeeze in a boot camp class at my university gym twice a week in the mornings. Which is great and all, but I've tried morning workouts before, and I can't for the life of me figure out how people make them work. So here are my questions:

1: How do you fight off the sluggishness that comes after? When I work out in the morning, I feel awake and alive for around five minutes after I'm done, and then I get completely overtaken by this lethargy that lasts for the rest of the day and completely kills my productivity. What could cause this, and what can I do to overcome it?

2: I can't be the only one with this problem, but I've never seen it bother anyone else in morning workout classes before. I have bowels sent straight from hell. I can't poop right when I wake up, and on a normal day I usually need to go about two hours after waking up, but if I do any sort of physical activity in the morning, my colon decides to stir right in the middle of it. I usually end up having to leave whatever workout I'm doing to perform mandatory bowel evacuation before resuming. I'd love to exercise in the morning while devoting my full attention to what I'm doing instead of spending 90% of my willpower forcing my sphincter shut, but this seems to be inevitable if I do any sort of exercise before 10 am. Why does this keep happening to me, and what can I do to alleviate this problem?

I would really love to be able to work out in the mornings for many reasons. The gym is so much less crowded, traffic isn't as bad, I can get it out of the way in the morning, etc. So, all of you morning workout people, advice please! I want to be one of you! :D

Replies

• JenMc14
    JenMc14 Posts: 2,389 Member
    Options
    I give myself a bit to wake up, then I do my workout. I shower and get ready after, then eat or at least get in a protein shake. There is usually coffee involved.

As for the poop issue, try getting up a bit early and doing some jogging in place or movement of some sort to see if that gets your system moving before class. If not, leave in the middle of the class as soon as the urge hits, then go back, no big deal!
  • bobbystrongarm
    Options
    1. Sounds like you either aren't eating, or you aren't eating enough. If you are busting your *kitten* in the morning a yogurt or a protein shake isn't going to cut it. You need carbs and protein after an intense workout. Also, if I work out fasted I'm ruined for the day. In the very least I have my 300 cal protein shake and some fruit before I workout in the AM, and I follow this up with a meal that is usually fish/chicken, vegetables, some potato or bread and I'll usually drink another protein shake to wash it all down. Granted, I typically burn ~1200cal a session.

2. Eat more fiber and eat lots of roughage. Personally when I eat lots of broccoli and spinach I can poop on command. This is really important for me because protein shakes back me up, it keeps me normal. However, if you have to go in the middle of a workout, just go. There is nothing wrong with using the restroom. **** happens.
  • grinner30
    grinner30 Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    1. I agree with bobbystrongar, Eat for fuel!

2. More fiber I agree!

1 and 2 - Eat 1/2 cup oatmeal at night. You'll have no problem in the morning. I drink a pre-work out on top of that in the morning and it's on like Donkey Kong! :embarassed:

If you need a boost for your poop ( I have IBS and I do - I know TMI) take some Mirilax right before bed.
  • timbrom
    timbrom Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    On number 2, you're on your own (see what I did there :smile:). But number 1 sounds like a diet thing. Try eating some carbs before and after, about 1/4 of your daily carbs before and 1/4 after, and get some protein after too. See how that affects you.
  • twotailedvulpine
    twotailedvulpine Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I'm barely trying morning work outs this morning and it can make the second half of the day quite hard. I figured the more I power through them, the more I'll get used to them... to the point where the opposite effect happens. I get energy instead of sluggishness. Most people say they get energy out of it but then again these people are at a nice fit level.

I do strength training every other day and I try to do cardio every day but if I miss it it's no biggy. I also give myself a full 24 hour day off from both to recharge.

What I do notice is that on the days I don't strength train, I feel powerful happy and full of energy. I think once my body adapts that's going to be the common feeling.

Make sure you eat well and right before and after the work out. Drink plenty of water, blah blah blah. You know this stuff c:

PSSST: BTW this is Alex from Texas. c:
  • sealevels
    sealevels Posts: 123
    Options
    I prefer working out in the morning - quieter and knocks it out.

Anyway what I'd suggest is protein. Something with a good amount of protein immediately following a workout (I drink a protein shake while stretching) helps me stay lively for the rest of the day. Feed those muscles.

Also, I try to get enough sleep the night before. I also eat heartily the night before. I'm usually not hungry when I work out then.
  • SpleenThief
    SpleenThief Posts: 293 Member
    Options
    :

1: How do you fight off the sluggishness that comes after? When I work out in the morning, I feel awake and alive for around five minutes after I'm done, and then I get completely overtaken by this lethargy that lasts for the rest of the day and completely kills my productivity. What could cause this, and what can I do to overcome it?

I basically just got used to it. My tank doesn't run low until late in the day. a morning run energizes me...until mid afternoon. I just learned to work through it. It's no different than having a kid keep you up all night or recouping from a rough bender the night before. Work tired; it won't kill you.
  • mitchiejo
    mitchiejo Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    I usually have my coffee after working out so that helps with the slugglishness.
  • BigGuy47
    BigGuy47 Posts: 1,768 Member
    Options
    I've tried morning workouts before...
    Previously, did you sustain a regular routine for weeks or months?

When starting from 0 after a long lay off from exercising it usually takes me about 2 - 3 weeks to hit my groove where it feels great to get up and exercise. After that initial phase I have more energy throughout the day.