is this healthy????

Options
I have been prescribed a medication to help me with my ADD. One of the side effects is loss of appetite. I still want to lose weight the healthy way, so I am not trying to not eat. However, I am not that hungry. I want to still make sure that I give my body enough nutrients. I am working on figuring this all out. This morning all I had for breakfast was a banana. I am wondering if having one piece of fruit for breakfast is enough?

Replies

• lilmom1
    Options
    Iwould add a pkt of plain oatmeal...just a suggestion. Would love to know how the new med works out. I have add but I do not medicate....shoot me an update if you would.
  • 6Janelle13
    6Janelle13 Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    i would add more and balance it. banana's are very high in sugar but they will not provide your body with sustained nutritents (think about a rocket ship- quick burn then it's gone) . you could do an open faced banana/peanut butter sandwich on one slice of wheat. (assuming no allergies) which would last your longer but if you aren't feeling hungry i would do several small healthy snacks throught out the day.

banana with oatmeal or peanut butter or ceral
    snack-reduced string cheese, 1/4 of a apple and whole grain crackers (3 triscuit)
    lunch- healthy
    second snack -hard boiled egg, granola bar etc
    dinner- healthy and as much as you can make yourself eat. if you aregoal oriented try for 200-300 calories a meal and 200 for snacks
  • Hickgal_79
    Options
    Did your Doctor prescribe you adipax_p??? If so I had taken it, its a great way to get the weight off, but beware after you go off of it then comes the battle of keeping it off!
  • fit2sit
    fit2sit Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    It depends on which medications your doctor put you on for the ADD. Adderall is dextroamphetamine and Vyvanse is dextroamphetamine coupled with L-lysine amino acid. Amphetamine is a stimulant, so its going to keep you wired for a bit and it'll suppress your appetite as well. If you are on Methylphenidate (clexa, ritalin), it has a similar structure to amphetamines, but works to increase dopamine and norepineprhine in the brain, which the previous drugs do s well, it just doesn't have as much of the stimulant properties as the amphetamines do.

I'm just a forenic toxicologist, so I can tell you what these drugs do to you and how long they'll remai in your system so you'
    ll probably want to talk to your doctor or a dietitian with knowledge of people on ADD medications. Ask them what you can do to eat healthier on this medication.

best of luck,
    Ivan
  • cardbucfan
    cardbucfan Posts: 10,431 Member
    Options
    Both of my kids have ADHD and take stimulant medicine (Vyvanse). They are not hungry during the day when the medicine is at it's strongest for school (probably like yours) so what we do is have them eat big, healthy breakfasts, something at lunch, a snack after school and a big dinner. Now realize, we are talking about two very active (competitive swimmers) teenage boys who consume MASS quantities of food. You might want to do something similar though. Oatmeal would be great for breakfast, make yourself eat a salad for lunch, something healthy but smallish around 4 then a decent healthy dinner. I agree that talking to a nutriionist or dietitican who knows about ADD meds would be helpful.