Getting discouraged

Options
I am so disappointed with myself. I tried on practically every dress in the mall today and just wanted to sit in the dressing room and cry. I feel like I'm about to go crazy because I'm exercising at least an hour every day and stay under my calorie budget....I don't even eat my exercise calories. I feel like I'm stuck in a rut and don't know how to get out! Any advice or words of wisdom?

Replies

• psarah
    Options
    They say you should at least eat half of your exercise calories so your not starving your body..
  • katschy
    Options
    Eat your exercise calories--if you end up with a net calorie intake that's too low, your body will go into conservation mode and you won't lose. Also keep an eye on where your calories are coming from (ratio of protein:fat:carbs) and perhaps change up your exercise routine - the body gets used to repeated movement and it stops getting a good effect from it.

You may also simply have hit a plateau - it happens, and it feels awful. All you can do is continue to be strong through it and know that you will lose if you keep at it. We're all here for you!
  • ChantelleSlight
    Options
    I understand how you feel, the amount of times I have done the same thing. I try not to buy any clothes now for that reason. It is hard, but keep going, you are taking the right steps by still exercising. Its hard to stay motivated. Hang in there though.
    Regards
    Chantelle
  • missmaya24
    missmaya24 Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    Everyone has a breakdown. Now you have to figure out how to breakthrough. I don't know how long you've been working out but it's important to be patient with yourself. I would maybe try a workout you've never done. It might make working out fun again. I really like Chalene Johnson's workouts because she's upbeat and positive. I would definitely recommend that you log in to MFP everyday for encouragement. There's a great, supportive community here! Feel free to friend me, we'll help eachother out.
  • MsLisaB
    MsLisaB Posts: 256
    Options
    Our bodies are really good at getting used to what we do. They also like to try to hold onto fat. You might need to change things around a bit to get past the plateau. You could try changing the exercises you're doing. Maybe try some interval training if you aren't already. You could also try eating over your calorie allowance (including exercise cals) for a couple of days, then going back to "normal". It may be enough to make your body see it doesn't need to hold onto the fat. Good luck :flowerforyou:
  • 4lafz
    4lafz Posts: 1,078 Member
    Options
    Don't get discouraged - you are halfway there. The last is always the hardest and the slowest. I disagree about eating all the exercise calories. I eat a couple hundred - at best - and if I eat more I gain or don't lose at all. Drink lots of water and change up what you are doing - exercise, I mean. Time to try something new! Also try eating the majority of your calories in the morning and afternoon and eat a very light dinner - no food after 8pm. They say Breakfast like a King, Lunch like a Princess and Dinner like a Pauper. Good luck!
  • daryls
    daryls Posts: 260
    Options
    Have you had a physical recently? It's always important to rule out any medical issues. Also, you can talk to the doctor about nutrition and possibly see a dietitian to make sure you are getting the correct ratios. If you aren't getting the right food it can affect your mood - which can make you feel bad about every dress you try on. I've been there too. But I've found that what's most important is that I feel healthy!!!
  • Beebee78
    Options
    Like most have said you really need to eat back some of those exercise calories.

Don't give up - you can do this xxx
  • Maggie1960
    Options
    Please don't get disheartened - as others have said, there are ways to get round this. Cheer yourself up with something non-foody and non-clothing like some gorgeous perfume or sparkly nail varnish, then take a deep breath and get back on the wagon. Visualise yourself at Halloween - you WILL be smaller!:smile:
  • hp25
    hp25 Posts: 27
    Options
    Thank you everyone for your words of encouragement. I love to exercise and try different things but it is the food that seems to be getting me. I've got some new ideas now. I really appreciate all of you for taking the time to help a stranger...it means alot!
  • lisalynn35
    lisalynn35 Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    You're probably not eating enough. You body needs calories to burn especially if you're working out that much. Are you drinking enough water, that's a key point with my weight loss?
  • csthurman
    Options
    You are too hard on yourself. I see you as such a beautiful, young, lady. You have soooo much going for you. You are tall, lean and sexy!! GET OUT OF LUFKIN and go to another mall..........This town has no cute clothes or dresses anyway! My girls live in Houston near Willow Brook Mall. There are so many cute shops there. They always find lots and lots of dresses and skirts. Please, please don't be discouraged. You look GREAT!!
  • csthurman
    Options
    You are too hard on yourself. I see you as such a beautiful, young, lady. You have soooo much going for you. You are tall, lean and sexy!! GET OUT OF LUFKIN and go to another mall..........This town has no cute clothes or dresses anyway! My girls live in Houston near Willow Brook Mall. There are so many cute shops there. They always find lots and lots of dresses and skirts. Please, please don't be discouraged. You look GREAT!!
  • DJackson230
    Options

What Carol said!!!
  • hp25
    hp25 Posts: 27
    Options
    Lisa- I probably don't drink as much water as I should so I'll try that out :)

Carol- thank you for being so nice..I will try out where your daughters shop. I need the dress this weekend so too bad I didn't get to go there earlier. Thanks for your words of encouragement.
  • DJackson230
    Options
    U make me want to beat you with a spoon... Have you looked in the mirror lately? You cant see yourself HP... You dont realize how beautiful you already are... Where is my spoon, Im about to put a seriuos knot on your head!