Calories Burned by Lifting Weights

Options
I've seen a lot of people asking about how many calories they burn by lifting weights. The research is not there yet, as its hard to use the proper equipment and have a large group of individuals to get more accurate quantifiable results. Here is an article to answer some of your questions. If you aren't into reading journal articles here is a quick breakdown:

- 8 male, 7 female study (fit, but not elite athletes)
- mirrored recreational (typical) weightlifting that most people would do, vs. rigid specific weightlifting of previous studies
- obtained individual VO2 max using Cosmed K4b2 portable metabolic system (a gas mask instrument that I don't think you'll find at your average gym)
- Participants did both 85 and 100% intensity with 1:2 work to rest cycles.

In the study participants averaged 10-12 kJ (2.39-2.87 Calories) per minute energy expenditure. This in contrast to the 28-39 kJ (6.69-9.31 Calories) per minute energy expenditure from the Hickson (1989) study. The main difference between the studies is that in the Morgan study participants worked out as one would do normally, waiting for machines to free up, rest in between sets, etc. whereas the Hickson study everyone participating was doing circuits with minimum rest in between machines.

Where does that put us? Well without fancy instruments to record our EXACT energy expenditures and the lack of studies on this subject the best we can use are estimates. If you are the average weight lifter that has to wait for machines during peak hours at the gym and get a decent amount of rest between sets, the caloric burn isn't going to be astronomical. The people in the study only burned 2-3 METS doing 28 minutes of weightlifting, or using the average kJ burned about 66.9 - 80.2 Calories in almost 30 minutes of lifting weights.

In contrast, if you are truly doing a circuit of different machines, don't know how most gyms are designed, but my gym has them lined up in 2 rows and you go up and down each row. Say 30 seconds on each machine at 85% max and no rest in between machines (save for moving to the next one and adjusting it). You would burn more Calories than the traditional weightlifter.

Reading the forums I see that there are resistance training categories in the aerobic sections, and I haven't used them, ut its like someone said earlier, take it with a grain of salt. If you put in your info and it comes up with high triple digits calores burned you may want to pause before adding it to your daily total. As you may have been at the gym for 120 minutes, but actually doing the lifting and performing the work would be 25-35 minutes of actual weightlifting.

Comments? thoughts? Anyone have any further insight onto the weight lifting vs. calories burned question? I know some people advocate the HRM, but I'm just seeing the science to back it up with concerns to weight lifting.

EDIT: forgot to post the article link: http://www.jssm.org/vol2/n3/8/v2n3-8pdf.pdf

Replies

• Dubuque
    Dubuque Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    Thanks, that is good information. I like the article as well.
  • supernova48
    Options
    Thank you for the information. I never knew how many calories I was burning in any given weight training session. However, isn't the value in terms of fat burning in weightlifting not the lifting, but the 24-48 hours of tissue repair your body has to do afterwards?
  • fit2sit
    fit2sit Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    Good question Super. please reference this topic http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/121565-exercise-does-not-increase-24-hr-fat-oxidation to see that there is negligible fat oxidation during recovery.
  • chrisdavey
    chrisdavey Posts: 9,834 Member
    Options
    I plan on using HRM soon for my resistance training sessions. 60mins for me on MFP says 220cals. However, the type of exercises has to make a difference I feel ie. one person doing bicep curls for 20 reps vs one person doing close to 1 rep max barbell squats. I know that after I have finished squats and deadlifts my heart is racing! WIll hopefully have some more data for this thread next week :)
  • chrisdavey
    chrisdavey Posts: 9,834 Member
    Options
    THis is what I just did. It took 55mins all up including warm up weights. Normally I log strength training as 220cals/hr. I always thought that was on the low side :P HRM said 510cals.

Deadlift
    112.5 X 1
    125 X 5
    115 X 5
    112.5 X 5
    112.5 x 5

squat
    90 x1
    95 x5
    90 x5
    87.5 x5
    87.5 x5

hang cleans
    60kg X 5 x 3

straight leg Deadlift
    60kg x 8 x 2

wide grip pull ups
    10 x 6

Front Squats
    50kg x 8 x 3

Bent Over Rows
    60kg x 8 x 2

DB Reverse Flys
    17.5kg x 10

32kg calf raises

Used a HRM for the first time weight training. First bit of workout was fairly low HR warm up squats. Regular rest time to ensure good recovery. About 1.5-2mins between working sets I believe. I usually superset some of the assistance stuff like the cleans and the Stiff leg deadlifts and then have a break. HRM said 510cals burnt in 55mins. (My DL max is 145kg and squat max is 113.5kg x 2 previously for %1rm reference)
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options
    I plan on using HRM soon for my resistance training sessions. 60mins for me on MFP says 220cals. However, the type of exercises has to make a difference I feel ie. one person doing bicep curls for 20 reps vs one person doing close to 1 rep max barbell squats. I know that after I have finished squats and deadlifts my heart is racing! WIll hopefully have some more data for this thread next week :)

The research article cited by the OP suggests differently. There was no difference in energy expenditure between lifting 100% of 8RM or 85% of 8 RM (15 reps). Lifting heavier weights will only decrease the aerobic component of the exercise and increase the degree of dissociation between heart rate and VO2 max.

You cannot use HRMs to estimate calorie expenditure during strength training, esp heavier weights. The equations used to estimate calorie expenditure from heart rate during aerobic exercise are not applicable for strength training.

When HR increases during strength training, it occurs due to a completely different physiologic mechanism than during aerobic exercise. This study further demonstrates that fact, noting that average VO2 was 2-3 METS, which is the equivalent of walking 2.0-3.0 mph. Unfortunately, the researchers did NOT report any heart rate data (understandable, since it was irrelevant to their study, but unfortunate for our discussion). While the subjects in this study were in excellent physical condition, I would have to think that their heart rates during lifting were higher than they would be if walking 2.0-3.0 mph.