does protein powder make you constipated?

Options
I have been drinking designer whey protein powder because it is only 100 calories with 18 grams of protein. But I find that it makes me constipated, bloated and just an overall feeling of being uncomfortable is my stomach / intestinal area? Does this happen to anyone else? If so, can anyone recommend a better protein powder that is more easily digested. Please include the price also. Thank you for all of your replies

Replies

• RainHoward
    RainHoward Posts: 1,599 Member
    Options
    It may well be the fact that it's whey protein you're eating. There are other options that aren't whey and that have more protien in them. Perhaps you should try one of those.
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options
    Are you getting enough water? How about fiber?

Protein doesn't make me constipated, but I get plenty of fiber and water, too.
  • RainHoward
    RainHoward Posts: 1,599 Member
    Options
    If you have a sensitivity to dairy products then whey can be an issue for you. To keep it simple, whey is what's left over when they make cheese and Greek yogurt. Some people have the same reaction to whey products as they would to dairy products.
  • BlueBombers
    BlueBombers Posts: 4,065 Member
    Options
    No, I still *kitten* like a racehorse.

Lots of water and fibre rich foods.
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options
    If you have a sensitivity to dairy products then whey can be an issue for you. To keep it simple, whey is what's left over when they make cheese and Greek yogurt. Some people have the same reaction to whey products as they would to dairy products.

Actually, high purity whey isolates have almost no lactose, if lactose is the issue. I don't know the specific product the OP is using, but the isolates are generally ok even for people with lactose intolerance.

If it's an allergy to milk protein, then I agree that whey should be avoided.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    Are you getting enough water? How about fiber?

Protein doesn't make me constipated, but I get plenty of fiber and water, too.

This!^

Water, fiber, and fat (at least for me) all help. If you are getting low fiber numbers now, don't try to add too much, too fast. Up your fiber (if that's the issue).... gradually.
  • mag131
    mag131 Posts: 542 Member
    Options
    Nope. My system stays pleasantly clear and I have 1-3 whey protein shakes a day, at 25g protein each.
  • 4_Lisa
    4_Lisa Posts: 362 Member
    Options
    18 grams of protein in a scoop I'm guessing around 30 grams? You are probably reacting to the fillers. There are much better ones out there that have 27g of protein in a 30g scoop.

If the amount of protein isn't a huge deal to you I would try Syntrax Nectar, they are lighter more like juice and don't give the bloat. but even they have 23 grams of protein
  • Railr0aderTony
    Railr0aderTony Posts: 6,803 Member
    Options
    I usually have the other issue with protein powder. Make sure you are eatting enough fat and fiber and drinking enough water. For me my biggest issue was lack of fat after I started losing weight. Make sure you get enough fat in your diet, that keeps things moving.
  • icywindow
    icywindow Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I too have an issue with whey protein powders, often also because of the artificial sweeteners. My solution? Pea protein powder mixed with Hemp protein powder.

http://www.amazon.com/Now-Foods-Pea-Protein-Pound/dp/B001DB4MFO
    http://www.amazon.com/Nutiva-Organic-Protein-16-Ounce-Container/dp/B001JU81ZG

Tastes like salty dirt. Digests lots better than whey. Works great.
    I take it in a shake with almond milk along with oatmeal, nuts, and fruit in the morning.
  • jennadelane
    jennadelane Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    I used to get bloated from the protein powder I was using, but not any digestive issues. I switched brands and it stopped. Perhaps your body just doesnt like the brand you are using?
  • Minks_esposa
    Options
    Protein shakes always make me constipated, like butt bleeding and everything (sorry TMI). I've tried adding fiber powder to it and that works for a little while but not long term. Even slim fast shakes and boost shakes back me up also. I've been focusing on eating my protein instead and my body likes that a lot better and I haven't had any problems.
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    Options
    they definitely make me constipated. Adding additional fiber (i will actually add some metamucil to the actual shake itself) and drinking more water and eating enough healthy fats helps tremendously!
  • erica6732
    erica6732 Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    THANKS ALL
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,950 Member
    Options
    I have been drinking designer whey protein powder because it is only 100 calories with 18 grams of protein. But I find that it makes me constipated, bloated and just an overall feeling of being uncomfortable is my stomach / intestinal area? Does this happen to anyone else? If so, can anyone recommend a better protein powder that is more easily digested. Please include the price also. Thank you for all of your replies

Nope. Could be the quality of the product, or the fact that it's whey isn't sitting right. Try a different brand and go from there.