Kale

Options
attybell
attybell Posts: 81 Member
I have been hearing a lot about kale lately and the health benefits of it, so I bought some
Now I just need some ideas on what to do with it lol
Help :)

Replies

• Julpurks
    Julpurks Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Here is a link to a great recipe I've been using lately:
    http://cheese.about.com/od/salads/r/Raw-Kale-Salad-With-Grated-Cheese-And-Lemon-Dressing-Recipe.htm

Kale is AMAZING for you! Its a super green :) It is best raw (keeps all the nutrients intact) so this recipe is great. It is also wonderful in green smoothies (blend it really fine for the best taste!) You can bake them to make Kale chips, however I've never had much success with them. :) You can steam them with other greens too... The options are endless! Enjoy!
  • sjp_511
    sjp_511 Posts: 476 Member
    Options
    I am not a fan of it raw. I sautée it with shrimp and garlic and any other veggies I have from my CSA - mushrooms, tomatoes, sweet peppers - and serve with brown rice.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    Kale chips are yummy! Word of advice though: do *NOT* put them in a Ziplock after baking or they get greasy and lose their crunch.

http://allrecipes.com/recipe/baked-kale-chips/
  • _HeartsOnFire_
    _HeartsOnFire_ Posts: 5,304 Member
    Options
    Put it in smoothies! Research though because it *can* make it a little bitter...but there are things to counter that!

People put it in salads I hear.
  • retirehappy
    retirehappy Posts: 4,757 Member
    Options
    Kale can be used in any recipe calling for spinach, in fact, to double the healthiness of a dish use 50% kale/50% spinach. Great tossed in an omlette, a salad or a smoothie (don't over do it one leaf per cup). Sauted with EVOO and garlic, yummo.

It is super easy to grow in a planter or in the ground. The curly variety likes milder temps and dinosaur can take heat of summer or a light frost equally well. This is a link to picture of the three types, curly, decorative (but is totally eatable and great in smoothies) and Dinosaur (it is the thicker wrinkled looking leaves)

kale.jpg.html?sort=3&o=1[img][/img]
  • wildcatnyc
    wildcatnyc Posts: 2,410 Member
    Options
    I put it in my protein shakes sometimes.

Also love Kale Salad - kale, olive oil, lemon juice, shredded parmesan, sunflower seeds, and chick peas. Mix it all together and refrigerate overnight. It gets better the longer you let everything absorb...It will last about a week in the fridge before the Kale starts getting soggy.
  • trying2bfitinwi
    trying2bfitinwi Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Do you have a really powerful blender, like a Vitamix or a Ninja? My favorite smoothie is:

2 c raw kale
    1 c almond milk, unsweetened
    4 navel oranges, peeled
    1 banana
    1 tsp vanillla extract

This makes enough for two, so I leave one in the fridge for the next day.
  • EmilyOfTheSun
    EmilyOfTheSun Posts: 1,548 Member
    Options
    The only time I ever bought kale was when I had an iguana to feed it to. I personally think it's disgusting. I know a lot of people blend it up into their smoothies! I'm sure you could google some kale smoothie recipes.
  • smarionette
    smarionette Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    Delicious quick kale dinner for 2

1 big bunch of kale, stems removed and chopped into 1" bits
    1/2 onion, chopped
    2-3 cloves garlic to preference
    1 fresh tomato, chopped
    1 link of your favorite non breakfast sausage, casing removed
    1 can cannelloni beans, drained and rinsed
    (optional - up to 2 cups chicken broth)

Saute the onion, garlic and sausage until the sausage is cooked through. Add in tomato and kale. If it looks a bit dry add in 1/4c chicken broth and allow to simmer for 15 minutes until the kale is tender, but not mush. Add in beans and heat through. NOM. If you feel the need for soup, or want to stretch it as a sneaky healthy appetizer soup add in the optional chicken broth and go to town.

We tend to put in a fair dose of hot sauce as well. We love the stuff :)