Eating healthy! Advice?

Options
Please and thanks!

Currently I weight 260 lbs and I keep going up. I've gotten really lazy with myfitnesspal and I've almost stopped working out. I'm trying to get back into the swing of things but it's so hard!

So I wanted to ask: How does one begin to eat healthy when they claim to hate veggies and fruits? The thing is, I really like the way fruits taste but I can't stand the textures. It's the exact opposite for veggies. I hate the flavor but don't mind the texture.

I figure my current diet must be terrible for me. I mainly eat carbs and brown foods. Pastas, breads, junk food. I eat meat too, but I would really like to stop eating it if I can.

Thanks,
Travis

Replies

• hollyhumm
    hollyhumm Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    If you like the taste of fruit and hate veggies - why not make smoothies - then you can get the nutrition from both - the taste of fruit - without the texture. I am a carb fan too - so I allow myself a serving of either brown rice or sweet potatoes. That's it. I had a lazy week this week - but just keep doing it. I will tell you what a wise woman once said to me: If you drop your cell phone and think its broken, you don't keep smashing it. Dieting is the same way. Set backs don't mean it's broken, it means you have to pick it up. It's so true - You can do it!
  • LatentColors
    Options
    If you like the taste of fruit and hate veggies - why not make smoothies - then you can get the nutrition from both - the taste of fruit - without the texture. I am a carb fan too - so I allow myself a serving of either brown rice or sweet potatoes. That's it. I had a lazy week this week - but just keep doing it. I will tell you what a wise woman once said to me: If you drop your cell phone and think its broken, you don't keep smashing it. Dieting is the same way. Set backs don't mean it's broken, it means you have to pick it up. It's so true - You can do it!

I do have smoothies! But that doesn't change the fact that all I eat for breakfast, lunch, and dinner is carbs. :C
  • kdiamond
    kdiamond Posts: 3,329 Member
    Options
    You are going to have to venture out and try new things. I thought I hated veggies, turns out I just hate frozen or canned veggies. I love fresh veggies when I make them - roasted broccoli is amazing! I make all kinds of salads w/ different ingredients, and I make my own salad dressing.

As for fruit, you can definitely add a protein shake with some fruit blended in.

Experiment!
  • Ainar
    Ainar Posts: 858 Member
    Options
    There's nothing wrong with brown foods and carbs. Pastas, breads are not junk food. Neither is meat. These are normal foods what everybody eats. They can keep you full and they have good nutritional value unlike foods like sugars, like candies, sodas, cookies and other crap what's only purpose is to make you feel good, not to keep you alive... that is junk.

There are two ways how to lose weight - either stop eating junk or count calories. If your main concern is to lose weight and have problems with eating healthy foods then I suggest to count calories. You can still have great weight loss by eating junk if you do so. Just make sure you are in calorie deficit and things will happen. Make sure you set one thing going - losing weight, what will allready make you more healthy. And when that happens you can then later start to worry about things like actualy eating healthy.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    Your post is confusing ......

You don't like the texture of fruit, but the textures are not all the same ..... citrus is very different than say a banana. The texture of an apple (or applesauce) is very different than the texture of strawberries.

You might try frozen banana slices or frozen grapes. Dried fruits will have a different texture (be careful here .... think small portions)

Textures in veggies are different depending upon how they are prepared, but you like the texture of veggies.

You don't like the taste of veggies ..... but again, the taste is not universal. The taste of veggies can be overcome with spices .... add olive oil and garlic to broccoili and roast in the oven. Add olive oil & soy sauce to asparagus & grill. Veggies can be added to strong flavored dishes ... chili for example. Carrots have a pretty mild flavor .... add a few to chili and you won't even taste them. Fresh green beans have a much different flavor than canned green beans.
  • laylaness
    laylaness Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    There's no reason to stop eating meat if you like it, unless it's a moral or non-weight-related health issue. Grilled chicken and fish are good lean proteins. Turkey, too.
  • LatentColors
    Options
    I want to stop eating meat for moral reasons. I don't like eating animals. I only do so now because I feel like I wouldn't have much else to eat. Thanks for all the input, everyone!

I'm just going to start counting my calories again, as Ainar said, and I'll try a new fruit or veggie every so often.

Thanks,
    Travis.
  • Joebob8
    Joebob8 Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    I love love love vegetables. My husband hates them. I bought a juicer for him. I think eating whole foods is better, but...problem halfway solved. Try a fresh juice with mostly veggies and some fruit for sweetness and flavor, drink as a supplement to your current food choices and reduce your other intake accordingly. Hope this helps a bit!
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    eat what you currently eat...just reduce your intake by 500 calories a day and you will lose one pound per week...