Rapid weight loss

Options
So I have been focused on losing weight. I started out by weighing 171 (I'm only 5' 2"). My calorie goal is 1350. I eat that amount everyday, but i work out and burn about 500 calories a day. Therefore my net calorie is about 800 a day. I have lost almost 7 lbs in 3 weeks. Is that healthy? I feel fine but I'm concerned I'm losing weight too fast. Is my body detoxing? Can anyone give my some insight on my situation?

Replies

• ladynocturne
    ladynocturne Posts: 865 Member
    Options
    You are suppose to net your calorie goal which is 1350.

800 calories a day is not enough energy for your body to run, therefore, no it is not healthy.

The human body can only lose approx. 1-2lbs of body fat per week (obviously this does not apply to extremely obese individuals under a doctors care).

Just keep in mind that not all weight loss is fat loss, if you keep under feeding yourself, you will start losing a lot of lean muscle mass.
  • _HeartsOnFire_
    _HeartsOnFire_ Posts: 5,304 Member
    Options
    You are suppose to net your calorie goal which is 1350.

800 calories a day is not enough energy for your body to run, therefore, no it is not healthy.

The human body can only lose approx. 1-2lbs of body fat per week (obviously this does not apply to extremely obese individuals under a doctors care).

Just keep in mind that not all weight loss is fat loss, if you keep under feeding yourself, you will start losing a lot of lean muscle mass.

This!!!
  • grimendale
    grimendale Posts: 2,153 Member
    Options
    You are setting yourself up for failure and medical problems. As ladynocturne said, you are losing weight, but much of that weight is lean body mass. This isn't healthy or sustainable. Please eat more.
  • billsica
    billsica Posts: 4,741 Member
    Options
    your not detoxing. if anything all the nasty stuff stored in your fat cells are exploding inside you. filling you all up with even more toxins all at once.

Actually I don't know what a toxin is.. eat 1350 net.. Worst thing you get flabby skin. best case you get really cranky irritable.
  • mariewhyder
    mariewhyder Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    okay so I if my net calories should be at 1350 then how many calories should i eat and how many calories should I burn?
  • skullshank
    skullshank Posts: 4,323 Member
    Options
    okay so I if my net calories should be at 1350 then how many calories should i eat and how many calories should I burn?

a lot of that weight is likely water weight.

have you figured out your tdee yet? where are you getting the 1350...is that from mfp?
  • mariewhyder
    Options
    what is tdee? but i got the 1350 from mfp
  • BattleTaxi
    BattleTaxi Posts: 752 Member
    Options
    Just stick with what MFP estimates... Rapid weight loss for a lot of people is the quick way to failure. Yes it can be done, you should probably speak to a doctor first, though. Set mini goals to meet, be realistic. The fat won't disappear over night. Don't envy the commercials or the TV or the models. Envy yourself and everything you achieve. Envy a healthier life style and eating habits. Envy the feeling you have after you exercise everyday.

Don't loath your weight to the point of wanting to suffer to achieve something; that just causes you to subconsciously hate eating healthy because you associate it with everything negative.

Just my crappy opinion. <3
  • JenAndSome
    JenAndSome Posts: 1,893 Member
    Options

If your calories are set to 1350 and you burn 500 calories you should eat 1850 calories. The number of calories burned doesn't really matter.
  • mariewhyder
    Options
    my plan was to lose 3 lbs a month so i was working out everyday (mainly jogging or biking) and eating 1350-1500 calories. I was just noticing the scale going down really fast. I feel healthy, it's the number that concerns me. I'm still motivated; it's a marathon not a sprint.
  • itsscottwilder
    Options
    If your calories are set to 1350 and you burn 500 calories you should eat 1850 calories. The number of calories burned doesn't really matter.

+1
  • skullshank
    Options
    what is tdee? but i got the 1350 from mfp

TDEE is your total daily energy expenditure...the number of calories that you burn daily.

check out this link and see what your tdee is: http://www.fitnessfrog.com/calculators/tdee-calculator.html
  • xX_Samantha_Xx
    xX_Samantha_Xx Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    So I have been focused on losing weight. I started out by weighing 171 (I'm only 5' 2"). My calorie goal is 1350. I eat that amount everyday, but i work out and burn about 500 calories a day. Therefore my net calorie is about 800 a day. I have lost almost 7 lbs in 3 weeks. Is that healthy? I feel fine but I'm concerned I'm losing weight too fast. Is my body detoxing? Can anyone give my some insight on my situation?

We have similar stats.. I started at 167.. I am 5'2 3/4".. And I lost 6 lbs in 21 days. About the same.. my calories were 1200/day. BUT, I eat back the calories I burn at the gym. Make sure you do that.
  • Donald_Dozier_50
    Donald_Dozier_50 Posts: 395 Member
    Options
    Marie,

I have set my calories at 1,375 and burn what I can burn and still consume 1,375.

When you receive advice here keep in mind that not everyone is here for the same reason yet some think what they do is the only possible way. I NEVER consult the self appointed "experts" and rely on those true experts with the title DOCTOR. When I was told by people here the same thing you are being told, I consulted my DOCTOR who sent me to have my body fat / muscle mass evaluated and was told to keep doing what I am doing, everything is fine.

A person here with the goal of building muscle with weights, a person here to gain cardio endurance and one here to lose weight can have completely different needs and plans.
  • skullshank
    Options
    Marie,

I have set my calories at 1,375 and burn what I can burn and still consume 1,375.

When you receive advice here keep in mind that not everyone is here for the same reason yet some think what they do is the only possible way. I NEVER consult the self appointed "experts" and rely on those true experts with the title DOCTOR. When I was told by people here the same thing you are being told, I consulted my DOCTOR who sent me to have my body fat / muscle mass evaluated and was told to keep doing what I am doing, everything is fine.

A person here with the goal of building muscle with weights, a person here to gain cardio endurance and one here to lose weight can have completely different needs and plans.

in other words, you're saying you net 1,375, correct?

so far the only advice i see in here is that netting 800cals a day is not healthy, and that netting 1,350 is wise. wouldnt you agree?
  • mariewhyder
    Options
    yeah I didn't know what BMR or Tdee is. I just looked at some websites and my bmr is 1500. So should I eat 1800 since i burn 500 calories a day?
  • _HeartsOnFire_
    _HeartsOnFire_ Posts: 5,304 Member
    Options
    You should not eat below your BMR.

Eat above your BMR and below your TDEE. Do not eat back your exercise calories with this method.
  • skullshank
    Options
    yeah I didn't know what BMR or Tdee is. I just looked at some websites and my bmr is 1500. So should I eat 1800 since i burn 500 calories a day?

many people (myself included) have found success eating at 80% of their TDEE.

so use that link i provided, put your info in there, and whatever number comes out, multiply it by .8.

that number is what you should shoot for daily, regardless of exercise.
  • marniesworld
    marniesworld Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    Setting aside the TDEE and BMI (for just a second, don't worry, everyone!), 7lbs in 3 weeks doesn't sound like a worrisome amount to me?

I don't mean that to say it's "not enough" - it's amazing progress! But I don't think I would be concerned about it being too rapid, particularly since it's just the beginning, and often times those first few weeks do include the loss of some water weight?

Several years ago I joined Weight Watchers and also a light exercise regimen. I had been fairly sedentary, and hadn't eaten very well at all in the time leading up to that, so at my very first weigh-in, one week in, I was down 5lbs. (Mostly water weight, I'm well aware). I was excited thinking I was going to be losing that quickly moving forward (oh, so naive!). The second week I was down 2.5, third week, 1, and steadily leveled out at about a half pound a week (for an eventual total loss of 35lbs).

Anyway, all this is to say, I would give it a few more weeks before I got worried that it was coming off too fast. You might find that the loss itself levels out quite a bit, and no longer seems so rapid. For now, just keep up the good work!