Bigger Arms???

Options
Edit-I made a mistake with my measurements... ignore me..

Replies

• lesliev523
    lesliev523 Posts: 368 Member
    Options
    ummm.... is this a serious post?

I lift MUCH heavier than you do... and you really can't bulk up unless you are taking the right supplements as a woman. I use 25-30lb dumbells for my curls and my arms are not huge. They are cut and muscular, but not huge.

If you read the hundreds of posts regarding women and heavy lifting you will see that you cannot become bulky by lifting weights. Period
  • kasimarie29
    kasimarie29 Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    then I don't understand why my fat *kitten* arms were 15 in. the other week and now they're 16 in...

and I'm completely serious.. I'm new to this and don't know much..
  • buffyfan22
    Options

I lift MUCH heavier than you do... and you really can't bulk up unless you are taking the right supplements as a woman. I use 25-30lb dumbells for my curls and my arms are not huge. They are cut and muscular, but not huge.

If you read the hundreds of posts regarding women and heavy lifting you will see that you cannot become bulky by lifting weights. Period

This ^

Maybe you're gaining weight? Are you eating at a deficit?

Your arms do not bulk up unless you take some crazy *kitten* supplements and considering you're new to all this, I highly doubt it. I lift weights as well and lost inches also.
  • kasimarie29
    kasimarie29 Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    Look at the top at my edit... thanks
  • lesliev523
    lesliev523 Posts: 368 Member
    Options
    There is a possibility that it could be some water retention due to a new exercise routine. This does happen, and it goes away.

Make sure you are drinking plenty of water.

When I was really heavy, I remember feeling for the muscles under my fat... and imagining that the fat and the muscle were in battle for that space beneath my skin. And I was going to help that muscle win.

When you are strength training, you may notice a lot of changes and you may not be comfortable with everything right away... but eventually that fat will go away and you will be left with glorious lean muscle.

So keep at it... lift as heavy as you can. Have faith in the process. You will be awesome in no time!
  • Showcase_Brodown
    Showcase_Brodown Posts: 919 Member
    Options
    So, your goal is to slim down your arms?

The first thing to say is that your arms will slim down along with everything else on your body while you lose fat in a calorie deficit. There's no way to focus just on your arms or anywhere else.

If you unable to do much cardio, that's OK, you just have to have fewer calories.

I feel that you may be a little too worried about the size of your arms. Weights are a great thing for your strength and shape. With the strength you'll gain, there will almost have to be some kind of size or definition that comes from it. The general rule of thumb is that low reps with higher weight emphasizes strength. Higher reps with less weight will emphasize muscle growth.

Also, you'll probably see it posted over and over again on the forums that unless you are eating at a calorie surplus and you are a man, don't expect to be bulky from lifting.

So I would recommend keep lifting heavy things and get strong. Maybe look into a program like StrongLifts or Starting Strength.
  • ladyark
    ladyark Posts: 1,101 Member
    Options

I cant wait til i can use a 25lb dumbell for my curls! Im up to 15lbs still...But they are growing.