How long to wait after increasing calories?

Options
Hi guys,

I am just about ready to enter in to maintenance (end of August, yay!). My plan is to add 100 calories/day, track my weight for a bit, then see if I need to another 100, and continue until I find my maintenance intake.

My question is, what are people's opinions about how long to wait after adding 100 calories/day before deciding whether to add more? A week? Two weeks? A month? I understand you need to track your weight for long enough that you are getting a true representation of the calories, and not just capturing water/bowel matter/etc. fluctuations, but how long to wait?

Thanks!

Replies

• Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    Hi guys,

I am just about ready to enter in to maintenance (end of August, yay!). My plan is to add 100 calories/day, track my weight for a bit, then see if I need to another 100, and continue until I find my maintenance intake.

My question is, what are people's opinions about how long to wait after adding 100 calories/day before deciding whether to add more? A week? Two weeks? A month? I understand you need to track your weight for long enough that you are getting a true representation of the calories, and not just capturing water/bowel matter/etc. fluctuations, but how long to wait?

Thanks!

I generally like 2 weeks or so, for women it may be even more difficult to accurately track weight changes due to your cycles
  • WAHMto5
    WAHMto5 Posts: 375 Member
    Options
    I added 50 calories at a time, every 2 weeks.
  • ChitownFoodie
    ChitownFoodie Posts: 1,562 Member
    Options
    Hi guys,

Thanks!

I generally like 2 weeks or so, for women it may be even more difficult to accurately track weight changes due to your cycles

I was about to say that I timed with my cycle so I knew it wasn't water weight gain.

I added 250 initially, then 50 each week except for the week of my period, then back the adding until I leveled off.
  • andresconejo
    Options
    BUMP. Im interested in replies as this is my case too :)
  • twinketta
    twinketta Posts: 2,130 Member
    Options
    I have been maintaining for a year now whoo hoo!!

What worked for me is not really increasing with a daily limit, but just gradually having a treat meal once a week. You know the type of thing going out for dinner or lunch and using the tool of not over eating, just eating and enjoying food.

It is important that you find what works for you as it is a lifetime commitment.

I don`t worry so much about food, I know my limits and I am sure you will know too...good luck x
  • hawaii86442
    Options
    To me this is the alternative way to maintain. A meal out--ice cream from Cold Stone-or an occasional glass of wine.
  • hawaii86442
    Options
    I have been maintaining for 3.5 months this way.
  • Seesawboomerang
    Seesawboomerang Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    A month or even two. Women can't really know what's going on with their bodies until two full cycles have passed.

I went halfway to maintenance, then whole hog within 2 months. It was maybe too fast.

But I know that I have no clue what's occuring until at least several weeks have passed with consistency all the while.

And I'm rarely consistent. LOL
  • elaanne
    elaanne Posts: 35
    Options
    To me this is the alternative way to maintain. A meal out--ice cream from Cold Stone-or an occasional glass of wine.

I'm not quite there yet, not quite at a place to maintain solely by going by how I feel and adding in the occasional treat. I realized that I still mostly stop eating because my (carefully portioned out) food is gone, and not because I think "Oh, I'm full, I don't need anymore." I'm working up to being able to maintain like you do, but I haven't made it there just yet!
  • Fithealthyforlife
    Fithealthyforlife Posts: 866 Member
    Options
    I was advised that it can take 2-8 weeks for the body to adjust to a new diet.
  • Boogage
    Boogage Posts: 739 Member
    Options
    Bumping as I'm nearly there too and a little nervous!
  • PamGeirng
    PamGeirng Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    bump
  • lorettasnewbeginning
    Options
    Congratulations on being " almost to maintenance"! I WISH I was there so I could answer your question! :-)
  • Angelikajohnston
    Options
    For more tips on Body building and Weight gain please go through http://ultralifeshop.co.uk
  • tootoop224
    tootoop224 Posts: 281 Member
    Options
    I track my weight daily, and can recognize a trend within about 4-8 weeks. Depends on how consistent I am with my calorie intake. The more consistent, the sooner I know.