Injured, needing help and advice on yoga!

Options
My doctor would like me to do yoga because I have bulging discs at C6 and C7, I have a neck strain, arthritis in my neck, and pinched nerves. My doc thinks that yoga would be a good workout that will help me strengthen these areas, and I'm on a weight restriction of lifting/pulling/pushing no more than 10 pounds, so most of my strength training is out of the question.

I've never done yoga, and with being off work for a month due to injuries, I am unable to attend yoga classes from a financial aspect. Do any of you have a good recommendation of some yoga workouts/videos that will help me get back into a good working condition? Any advice is welcome. I'm missing my workouts, and don't want to stall out on my progress. Thanks in advance!

Replies

• LeahT84
    LeahT84 Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    bump.... anybody here at all do yoga?
  • lblert
    lblert Posts: 55
    Options
    You could look into DDP yoga. I really like it even though it's not exactly traditional yoga - it's faster moving and gives you a cardiovascular work out. You can adapt the positions to accommodate your injuries. On the website, they show a guy who was unable to walk without braces and crutches because of knee injuries, and he rehabbed himself and lost tons of weight following the program.
  • yoginimary
    yoginimary Posts: 6,783 Member
    Options
    There's a lot of us into yoga, just have to know where to find us:
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/groups/home/1484-generic-yoga-group

I think you should go to a couple of classes first. Most studios offer the first class free. You could try a couple classes and see what you think. When you find one you like, see if you can make a deal with the owner to do work study - you might be able to clean the studio in exchange for classes. If you were not interested in doing this, at least you would have some idea of what you should and should not be doing in a yoga class. You can also ask the teachers which videos they would recommend for you after seeing you in the class. There are a ton of videos, podcasts, and youtube videos out there.

Good luck
  • broox80
    broox80 Posts: 1,195 Member
    Options
    I go to you tube for yoga videos. They are freeeee and I am poor so it all works out!!!
  • cafeaulait7
    cafeaulait7 Posts: 2,459 Member
    Options
    http://www.barnesandnoble.com/listing/2689845037037?r=1&cm_mmca2=pla&cm_mmc=GooglePLA-_-DVD-_-Q000000633-_-2689845037037

I have neuropathy at C5-6-7, and I have a problem with too much that works the trapezius or rhomboids/scapula stabilizers. So I keep my hands in what is called 'prayer position' instead of having them held outstretched as long as many poses do. I also have a problem with many poses that involve weight-bearing on the arms, so make sure that you feel out how long/how many reps you should do for those. Just feel it out (remember the next day!), and remember prayer hands is always OK (or just let them hang).

Be extra careful in poses like bridge that can put weight on the neck if done wrong. The best thing to do, imho, is check the poses out on Yoga Journal if you can't have a personal instructor. Their explanations are great.

Oh, and backbends (Camel, Cobra, Wheel -- all of those) usually have folks hang/hold their heads back, but you might want to use a foam neck brace for those poses (I do)! Or hold your head up with your hands if your arms are up to all that. The stretch backwards is actually excellent, but don't let it squish your vertebrae together in the neck. Good luck!
  • sympha01
    sympha01 Posts: 942 Member
    Options
    Does your doctor know that you'll be doing at-home yoga without the benefit of an instructor to watch your form and give you feedback? Because if you've got disc problems, yes proper form can strengthen your spine, but improper form can actually cause damage to the discs. Given existing back trouble, you really should be under the eye of an instructor until you're confident you've got the basics of form and alignment down.