How much is a "glass" of water?

Options
They say we need eight glasses of water a day. How many ounces is considered a "glass"?

Replies

• jennienelson
    Options
    8 ounces
  • TheNewJessieMae
    Options
    8 ounces

Agreed
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    8 oz which = 240 ml which = about 1 cup
  • jcmc99
    Options
    thank you!!!
  • lilchino4af
    lilchino4af Posts: 1,292 Member
    Options
    I agree with all of the above. In addition to that, I would like to add that 8 glasses or 64 ounces is a suggested minimum and I've found that what works best is to take your weight, divide by 2 and that's how many ounces your body requires to properly function and stay hydrated. If it's equal to 64 ounces, then great! But, for example, when I started out I this formula suggested that I needed 85 ounces which is almost 11 glasses. Also, your body will require more water if you take in excess sodium in order to flush it out, or when you exercise to replenish what you sweated. Hope this helps!
  • StacLegg
    StacLegg Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    I really struggled with being told that I have to drink 8 glasses a water a day! I don't like water!!! lol then sitten at my desk one day I noticed that my water bottle is 16 oz, that is 2 glasses of water, only need 4 water bottles a day..... I can so do that!!!
    So don't freak about "8" glasses a water when its really 8 cups..... :drinker:
  • LoriT129
    LoriT129 Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    And as I was told by a dietitian once....anything under 40 calories can be counted in your daily intake. I exclude diet soda from that but do drink Vitamin Water Zero or Crystal Light and will count that. :)
  • nanmosta1
    Options
    There is helpful information of the link I attached that allows you to calculate how much water you need for your height and weight. 8 glasses a day is recommended for everyone but water is like calories, your body has an individual need. Hope this is helpful. http://nutrition.about.com/ (Go to water calculation)
  • jtwest
    Options
    I really struggled with being told that I have to drink 8 glasses a water a day! I don't like water!!! lol then sitten at my desk one day I noticed that my water bottle is 16 oz, that is 2 glasses of water, only need 4 water bottles a day..... I can so do that!!!
    So don't freak about "8" glasses a water when its really 8 cups..... :drinker:

Me too!! I hate water but when I realized my water bottle was two glasses, I am seeing 8 glasses as much more achievable!
  • Brat3073
    Options
    They say we need eight glasses of water a day. How many ounces is considered a "glass"?

8 oz......its not as hard as it seems either. i used to think...Oh my gosh...64 ounces of water a day???? That impossible! I will drink 1 before each meal....which stops me from eating too much. then i always have a bottle filled with water that i keep with me throughout the day! My water bottle will hold 33 ounces! i susally drink about 3 of them througfhout the day...plus the glass i drink before lunch and dinner.
  • Brat3073
    Options
    I agree with all of the above. In addition to that, I would like to add that 8 glasses or 64 ounces is a suggested minimum and I've found that what works best is to take your weight, divide by 2 and that's how many ounces your body requires to properly function and stay hydrated. If it's equal to 64 ounces, then great! But, for example, when I started out I this formula suggested that I needed 85 ounces which is almost 11 glasses. Also, your body will require more water if you take in excess sodium in order to flush it out, or when you exercise to replenish what you sweated. Hope this helps!

wow....I never heard that.....going by this i would need 95 oz of water.....which i hit that without even thinking about it. I gave up soda for the summer and decided that ive given it up for good! So the water goal is easy for me. thanks for the tip!
  • maprotano
    Options
    Holy moly! That would mean that I have to drink 15, 8oz glasses of water a day?!!! That seems like a lot of water, right??
  • rockinright
    Options

That means over 105 ounces for me...If I drank that much water at work, I wouldn't get anything done because I'd be peeing every 20 minutes!