New and don't even know where to begin...

Options
Hey, I am a complete newbie. Not just to this website, but also to the whole concept of losing weight. I've never been bothered by health and weight really before, until recently I've put it on noticeably and it's upsetting me. But I have no clue how or where to begin to eat more healthy. That probably seems like a ridiculous concept. All I know is I don't eat loads, I'm always under my calorie goal. But I need to do more than just reduce food intake. Any tips on how to find out how I can change my diet to become healthier, rather than just reduce food intake as I know this can be unhealthy?

p.s., I am aware I must sound really ignorant. That's probably because I am :/

Replies

• dominijean
    dominijean Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    You are right. Reducing food intake is only part of the equation. Do you like to exercise? Even walking is a great way to get some cardio in as long as you are walking at a pace that gets your heart rate up.
  • RunningRoundParis
    RunningRoundParis Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the reply :) I do exercise a bit, I go for short jogs about 3 times a week, but this is a very recent thing and I actually find it quite difficult.
  • ChrisM8971
    ChrisM8971 Posts: 1,067 Member
    Options
    There are various web sites that can help you with healthy eating, I was looking at a few before I started using MFP

Try this site: http://oldwayspt.org/resources/heritage-pyramids/mediterranean-diet-pyramid

I am not saying it is the answer you are looking for but it promotes the Mediterranean way of eating, which consists of large amounts of fruit and veg, healthy protein, oily fish and olive oil. I have always loved this style of food but added to that I believe the people of this region tend to be long lived

Its food for thought anyway (please excuse the pun)
  • RunningRoundParis
    RunningRoundParis Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Thanks! I will look into that :)
  • dominijean
    dominijean Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    If you are finding jogging to be difficult, don't do it. Power walking burns a lot of calories and I do it when my knee is bothering me (had knee surgery last year) b/c the pounding of running hurts it sometimes. If you belong to a gym try the various cardio machines there, so as not to get bored. I know from experience that running can be boring when it's the only cardio you are getting.
  • ChrisM8971
    ChrisM8971 Posts: 1,067 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the reply :) I do exercise a bit, I go for short jogs about 3 times a week, but this is a very recent thing and I actually find it quite difficult.

Do you drive and do you have an ipod or something similar?

You probably don't even have to power walk, just get to somewhere peaceful and safe and walk. Also if you are listening to an audio book or a favourite album at the same time you will be surprised at how much distance and time flies past
  • KatLover73
    Options
    I just started too and I started by walking a measly 1 mph for 15 minutes a day, that was August 6th. It's the same day I gave up all fast food, little to no processed foods, and most refined flours/sugars. I eat what I want but I try to eat clean and only eat meat probably twice a week now. Anyway, my point is I am now up to 3 mph and I actually look forward to it. I put my headphones in and listen to dance music on Pandora (for free). It helps me keep a good pace and takes my mind off what I am doing. I also started taking supplements for my joints and overall health and made a FB page to keep myself and others motivated and informed. Take it a day at a time and do not focus on weight. Focus on how you feel and how your body will be fit. You look young which is a plus. I'm 40 and I wish I had done this for myself years ago! Good luck and you're welcome to "friend" me if you want to!