Changing Polar FT40 battery!!!???

Options
I have to change the battery in the transmitter since it is now a hit-or-miss transmitting to the watch. BUT, I can't get the danged thing open. I used a coin but it's stuck tight. Any suggestions?

S.

Replies

• tryinghard71
    tryinghard71 Posts: 593
    Options
    I am having the same problem. Looks like no one knows what to do.
  • contingencyplan
    contingencyplan Posts: 3,639 Member
    Options
    It's sealed. It's not meant to be able to be replaced. You have to replace the transmitter. Newer FT4s have a replaceable battery, but the older FT40s do not. You have to purchase the Wearlink transmitter for it, which does have a replaceable battery compartment.
  • CHN_
    CHN_ Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    I have a two year old FT40, and I had no problem changing the battery a few months back. If it looks like you should be able to open in the back, then you should be able to changing it out yourself. I got it open no problem, but had a little problems getting the battery itself out, as it sat in pretty good. But it was doable and I did not have to buy anything new.

I am pretty sure mine came with the Wearlink transmitter though. Don't know what else is normal, but that was pretty much the only option for the FT40 I got I think.
  • dad106
    dad106 Posts: 4,868 Member
    Options
    It's sealed. It's not meant to be able to be replaced. You have to replace the transmitter. Newer FT4s have a replaceable battery, but the older FT40s do not. You have to purchase the Wearlink transmitter for it, which does have a replaceable battery compartment.

Seriously.. He does not have to purchase a new transmitter. The new FT series allows you to change the battery.. The older F series, does not. Please start doing your research before you answer questions and potentially cost people a lot of money.

To OP:
    Take it to a jewelry store and they can do it there for free provided that you bring the battery in.

Both my FT7 and my FT60 had to be done that way.
  • nenabug
    nenabug Posts: 156
    Options
    I changed my FT40 battery really easily about 2 months ago. Mine is almost 3 years old. I used a flat head screw driver to open it. If you can't get it open, try a jeweler or see if you have a licensed Polar distributor in your area. Good luck!
  • tryinghard71
    tryinghard71 Posts: 593
    Options
    I can't get the back off my transmitter. It has a slot that looks like a coin should turn to a dash that says open. It won't budge. I am going to take mine in to a batter place to see if they can do for me.
  • slieber
    slieber Posts: 765 Member
    Options
    The transmitter back is ruined, but it works since I used electrical tape to hold it on. I'll take it to a polar dealer when this battery dies. I won't swim with it on. The watch battery itself was very easy to change. The transmitter, not so easy! I did discover (too late) that I didn't have to twist it all the way off - it just went a fraction of an inch before it popped off.
  • froeschli
    froeschli Posts: 1,292 Member
    Options
    I have one of the old, sealed units... when i found it after moving and had to replace the battery, i had to cut the rubber casing off the transmitter part (carefully) and order a battery to fit in it... then stuck it back together with electrical tape and it works just fine... wouldnt take it swimming, but i havent done that in years anyways :wink:
  • hanger110
    Options
    Mine wouldn't budge. I ended up stripping the coin slot. I took it to a Battery+ store and they couldn't work with it either.

Anyway, Polar has a new transmitter called the H1, I ended up ordering one on Amazon last night.

It sounds like it's hit or miss as to how easy getting the back of the transmitter off. One of the supposed benefits of their new transmitter is an improved battery cover.
  • emacb123
    emacb123 Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    UG, same problem here with my FT4. The "coin slot" is now completely stripped and there is no way to open. I've only had it for 6 months or so.

Pretty aggravating!
  • ArchangelMJ
    ArchangelMJ Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    I had this same problem and I just figured it out! If the slot is stripped just squirt a good amount of hot glue on the slot, and then stick a nickel in it and let it dry. When the glue is hard you'll have a sturdy lever to to open the back, easy as pie! ^_^ Then you can peel off the glue and nickel and you should be golden.
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    if you have the type watch and transmitter where you're supposed to be able to able to replace the battery yourself, keep in mind that the dried sweat can also effect your ability to open up your case since there's salt in sweat which can build up in the nooks and crannies making it difficult to move the back.

you can also drill two small holes into the battery cover.but not completely through, just deep enough to allow you to use tweezers in the holes to unscrew the cover.
  • slieber
    Options
    I had this same problem and I just figured it out! If the slot is stripped just squirt a good amount of hot glue on the slot, and then stick a nickel in it and let it dry. When the glue is hard you'll have a sturdy lever to to open the back, easy as pie! ^_^ Then you can peel off the glue and nickel and you should be golden.

That is a GREAT idea! Thanks! I am dreading the next time I have to change the battery. Right now, I have the thing covered in electrical tape to keep moisture out of the compartments of both the watch and the chest unit.
  • kmc979
    kmc979 Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    I had a heck of a time the first time i changed my battery. i found a nickel is the best coin to fit in it but it still wouldn't open. I ended up holding the nickel with pliers to get the good grip and good pressure and it opened up easy.
  • greenmonsterls
    Options
    I really fail to understand how a company designs a product like this, puts it through R&D and beta testing, realizes what a terrible design it is and then produces thousands of them anyhow. Ridiculous.
  • Brad805
    Brad805 Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    Unless it is older, here is the manual. Looks the same as my FT80. It takes the right size coin.

http://www.polar.com/en/support/manuals/User_Manual_for_Polar_FT40_in_English?product_id=7886&category=manuals

The only one Polar has that is not currently replaceable is the un-coded HR band and that has four screws.
  • slieber
    Options
    Thanks. I ended up practically destroying the lid, so now it's electrically taped on. Still works, though. Even if I had done it right, it would need a sealant once it was back on anyway, to make it fully waterproof (without the tape).

As long as it works, I'll keep using it. Once it starts to go, though, I'll replace it with a newer model. :-)
  • picktulsa
    Options
    I tried a screwdriver and various coins. Finally used a dime and it worked. So, I guess maybe it will turn on a dime? : )
  • NTmew
    NTmew Posts: 1
    Options
    Put a 1 euro coin in a vise and twist the holder (the right way).
  • Kris10bd
    Kris10bd Posts: 1
    Options
    I just did it - used a gold coin (and in the polar video on their site, it does the same) - it's the right thickness. Pretty simple fix! :)