To the Guys Who Threw Eggs at Me Tonight....

Options
A friend shared this on faceyplace and just wanted to pass it along <3

http://danceswithfat.wordpress.com/2013/08/23/to-the-guys-who-threw-eggs-at-me-tonight/

People can be really effed up, but how some choose to react is really inspiring :)

Replies

• lalalalinzy
    lalalalinzy Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    For those of you who don't want to copy and paste:

To the Guys Who Threw Eggs at Me Tonight

I was five miles into a nine mile training walk for my upcoming marathon when your car pulled up beside me, I didn’t think much of it until I heard you yell “HEY FAT *****!” I stopped and turned to look at you and you took that opportunity to throw 2 eggs and, somewhat inexplicably, an empty egg carton, at me. (Picture at the bottom of this blog)

To recap – two adult males threw the eggs and carton at me for daring to exist outside my house in a fat body. Of course they are utter cowards who sped away immediately, leaving me with so many questions:

First of all, how did you come to have 2 eggs and an egg carton in your car? Did you throw the first ten at other fatties, or are you now dealing with 10 eggs and no carton in your car?

Were these fatty-specific eggs that you had planned to throw, or are you guys eating cereal for breakfast until somebody can get to the store?

How do you miss a 300 pound woman who is three feet away from you? I mean, I’m happy that I didn’t have to walk 5 miles covered in egg, but let’s work on that follow through son, you never know when a softball game might break out.

Finally, what the hell kind of person throws eggs at strangers from their car?

It also set up a second interaction around mile seven wherein someone yelled “YO FAT *****!” and I yelled back “DO YOU HAVE EGGS?” The looks on their faces were priceless as they asked “What?” and I said “The last people who harassed me today threw eggs, if you don’t have eggs then you’re behind the fat bashing curve tonight.” The guy who had yelled in the first place ducked his head and said “Wow, that’s crazy. I’m sorry ma’am.”

I’m laughing about this and making jokes, and I’m allowed to do that because it happened to me, but let’s be clear that assault isn’t actually hilarious. The purpose of fat bashing is to intimidate, to terrorize; to make fat people afraid – afraid to chase our dreams, afraid to leave our houses, afraid that every stranger will be a fat basher, afraid of our bodies, hating ourselves.

So let’s just get some things clear:

You will not intimidate me. This is my neighborhood and I will not be scared to walk around it. I refuse to be scared to leave my house, I refuse to be worried that every car that slows down is going to be filled with *kitten* who throw eggs at people. You will not make me forget the amazingly supportive people who exist, you will not make me lose faith in humanity, just in you.

Lest, as others have, you attempt to make the absolutely ridiculous argument that your bullying will “motivate” me to exercise, complete my marathon etc. and is therefore done for my own good, let me be clear that what you did was assault – not motivation.

What motivates me to blog, to dance, to walk a marathon, to go after my dreams, to be an activist, is the fact that there are fat people who hate themselves because they don’t know that there is another option. That there are fat people who are scared to follow their dreams because it might mean that grown *kitten* men will literally throw eggs at them in the street.

I choose the life of an activist but let me be clear that I do not intend to suggest that my way is any better or worse than any other way fat people deal with oppression, bullying, harassment etc. To those who choose to avoid this kind of crap using whatever means works for you, you have all my respect. This is not something that should happen, you should not ever have to deal with it, or overcome it in any way. Nobody is under any obligation to take on the people who behave this way. People who throw eggs at you are seriously screwed up, you are absolutely fine. This isn’t our fault but it becomes our problem and we each get to choose how to deal with it.

In a world where prejudice, stigma, bullying, and oppression are heaped on us just,getting out of bed and not hating ourselves is a revolutionary act. And every day more and more fat people get out of bed and refuse to hate themselves, refuse to be intimidated, refuse to be held down, refuse to give up on our dreams because of fat bashing bigots. And every day there are more fat people demanding to be treated with respect, going after our dreams, and challenging fat bigotry, bullying and oppression.

And you’re still just some guys chucking eggs.
  • I_Will_Be_The_Swan
    Options
    +Infinity

Incredible. People are *kitten*, but to be strong enough not to let them stop you, to fight back and stay your course, is incredible. Congrats.
  • tlou5
    tlou5 Posts: 497 Member
    Options
    Wow...
  • hungryhobbit1
    hungryhobbit1 Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    Cheebus. Thanks for sharing, that's a great piece.

This is one of the reasons I don't run outside. I hope that there's less of this in my semi-liberal city than the crappy little cow town I grew up in where I was harassed every day for 12 years, but honestly I don't have it in me to find out. I'm just about to the point now where I feel like I could move from the treadmill to the outdoors and not attract this kind of bullsh*t.

If you've ever harassed a fat girl, you're not helping them. You're just an *sshat, and if you believe in hell you're going there. (I don't, unfortunately.)
  • SailorKnightWing
    SailorKnightWing Posts: 875 Member
    Options
    I would really like to know the thought processes of the egg-chuckers. What events in your life have to happen to make you decide that throwing eggs at strangers is entertaining, or even a worthwhile use of your time?

Kudos to poster.
  • vaporhockey83
    vaporhockey83 Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    Absolutely disgusting of these people. Good for this lady not to let them ruin her goals, fitness, and life when for some it may have been exactly what deterred them. Ugh. Quite a few bad eggs out there.
  • pinkgumdrop123
    pinkgumdrop123 Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    there are no words.. what is wrong with some people?!
  • trackmyday1973
    trackmyday1973 Posts: 393 Member
    Options
    A friend shared this on faceyplace and just wanted to pass it along <3

http://danceswithfat.wordpress.com/2013/08/23/to-the-guys-who-threw-eggs-at-me-tonight/

People can be really effed up, but how some choose to react is really inspiring :)

I am sorry that this happened to you. I know how hurtful it can be to be called FAT. In fact, I have been called this very same word two days ago on the bus, in public....over and over by some rude woman.

I want you to know that you are very beautiful.

I admire your bravery.

God Bless.
  • That_car_is_full_of_balloons
    Options
    anyone else think its a fake story?
    i dont want to think that but shes not just a blogger
    she is selling her book on her site too
    she is selling dance routines, t-shirts, and dvds
    she calls herself a "fatctivist"
    this story just seems like a publicity stunt
    i wouldve believed eggs being thrown at her
    but then another car called her fat? on the same run?
    and she just so happened to have a good punchline for that part
    she posted a pic for proof but you cant even tell its there
    why post a pic at all? like anyone wanted to see the egg shells
    sounds like she went above and beyond in fabricating the story
    i dont believe it
  • michael1976_ca
    michael1976_ca Posts: 3,488 Member
    Options
    people are idots i had food and drinks tossed at me in the past so i know the feeling of cowards doing stupid thing
  • MsWallwoman
    Options
    I don't know what to say. I have so many emotions swirling around inside me right now. All I can saw is ""wow" as my jaw drops.

To anyone who can relate to this story, I am so very sorry that you have faced such disgusting behaviour. I hope you know that not everyone is like. I hope that you are able to stand up against the jerks and keep reaching for your dreams beacuse no matter what size you are, you are you, and you are beautiful and you are worth it! ((Hugs)).
  • dragonforce84
    Options
    I too have been egged before for being gay and kissing my gf good night at the time on the street. I recommend running with a glass bottle in hand or better yet, your own egg! Smash out a car window. Not so funny for them.
  • YAYJules
    YAYJules Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    I have a friend whose starting weight was in the 300 range (granted, she's over 6 feet tall) but she's really slimming down now that she's graduated college. She really is inspiring. Other people obviously didn't feel the same way, because a moving car threw a soda at her as she was *LEAVING THE GYM!* How awful! She was coming from doing something about herself, and someone shat on her parade.

I hate people sometimes, but she definitely rebounded very gracefully. Since then, she's lost another 20 or so pounds, and she's still going.
  • clepant
    clepant Posts: 3,401 Member
    Options
    Years ago....when I was overweight and in my thirty's, I walked through an alleyway behind a car dealership to have some guy yell to another guy....check out that fat *kitten* on her. I was angry, insulted, and personally felt violated. I collected my composure, went into the dealership and asked to talk to a manager. I said I have bought all of my cars from this place but I will never buy another one again. I proceeded to tell him what took place. He pointed to a guy in the garage and asked me if he was the one that said it. I said yes and he asked if the other guy said anything and I said no. He walked over to the guy, told him to collect his tools and fired him on the spot. Unfortunately, you can't fire someone who is driving off in a car...but we do have a voice and a right to be out in public.
  • MizTerry
    MizTerry Posts: 3,763 Member
    Options
    And they LIVED???
  • lovelinny88
    Options
    I just don't understand people.

I remember when I was walking home from work one day and a group of boys waled by and yelled at me to lose some weight fatty. i cried all the way home.