Pre-Workout Meal?

Options
Hey, y'all! When I workout in the morning I haven't usually eaten before hand and it hasn't been a problem before. I would wake up, do my walk/elliptical/whatever, then go home and eat and get ready for work. This morning I changed it up and did some weights as well, instead of just cardio, and I started feeling like I was going to pass out and I wondered if with the different exercise I needed to start eating before I go.

My question is this: What's a good pre-workout snack for someone trying to lose weight? Something simple like a boiled egg or slice of toast with peanut butter? I haven't been using protein shakes so is this a good time to bring them in?

Replies

• Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    Hey, y'all! When I workout in the morning I haven't usually eaten before hand and it hasn't been a problem before. I would wake up, do my walk/elliptical/whatever, then go home and eat and get ready for work. This morning I changed it up and did some weights as well, instead of just cardio, and I started feeling like I was going to pass out and I wondered if with the different exercise I needed to start eating before I go.

My question is this: What's a good pre-workout snack for someone trying to lose weight? Something simple like a boiled egg or slice of toast with peanut butter? I haven't been using protein shakes so is this a good time to bring them in?

Were you hydrated? I prefer handfuls of sour patch kids before the gym
  • doIlhands
    doIlhands Posts: 349 Member
    Options
    My fave pre-workout meal is a slice of toast w/ PB and a sliced up banana on top. I can't workout if im hungry.
  • jlclabo
    jlclabo Posts: 588 Member
    Options
    i cant eat and then workout. i have to go on an empty stomach otherwise i feel tired and get a stomach ache. even if its just something like an apple or banana... now post workout.. thats another story all together.... lol
  • eventerchick80
    eventerchick80 Posts: 98 Member
    Options

Um, yes. I drink a full bottle of water before I go and refill before starting the workout so I have it handy.

Sour patch kids as fuel, who knew? :tongue:
  • BonaFideUK
    BonaFideUK Posts: 313 Member
    Options

Um, yes. I drink a full bottle of water before I go and refill before starting the workout so I have it handy.

Sour patch kids as fuel, who knew? :tongue:

he likes his bro sugar hit
  • eventerchick80
    Options
    My fave pre-workout meal is a slice of toast w/ PB and a sliced up banana on top. I can't workout if im hungry.

Yeah, I'm not hungry at all which is why I didn't eat and just drank water. It's hard to make myself eat but then, I'm not big on taking a nose dive either soooo...
  • lesliev523
    lesliev523 Posts: 368 Member
    Options
    Water and coffee.... and maybe a small banana or yogurt if I am starting to not feel well because I am so hungry.
  • sweepgurl101
    Options
    I usually will have something small - working out on a full stomach isn't fun :-(

Pre-workout Snacks

*banana w/peanut butter
    *almonds
    *multigrain bread w/peanut butter
  • lisalsd1
    lisalsd1 Posts: 1,520 Member
    Options
    I usually eat a serving of oatmeal, boiled egg, tea with honey. I HAVE to eat as soon as I wake up in the morning. I eat about an hour-2 before I actually start working out though.
  • missmwikali
    Options
    For me I take a protein banana shake before morning workout
  • Warchortle
    Warchortle Posts: 2,197 Member
    Options
    It's preferences... some people believe having some sort of protein for the amino acids will help you build muscle and some people eat a higher carb meal for the performance benefit... either way pre-workouts are highly personal. Generally speaking easier digesting foods make for better pre-workout meals like bananas vs. brown rice / steak / (anything high in fiber)

Eat whatever makes you feel good.
  • eventerchick80
    Options
    Thanks. I'm going to start experimenting with some suggestions and see what works best. :)