soda hypothetical. 40 oz/day. Better diet or regular?

Replies

• kirkor
    kirkor Posts: 2,530 Member
    I hate the taste of diet soda

Try Coke Zero or Pepsi Max ---- they really did get a lot better: stuff doesn't taste so "diet-y"
  • Stary714
    Stary714 Posts: 110 Member
    Coke Zero! I prefer it if I'm in the mood for soda (which rarely happens now)
  • LiftAllThePizzas
    LiftAllThePizzas Posts: 17,857 Member
    It's essentially the same. Regular soda will give you sugar, diet soda will trick your body into thinking it's getting sugar, making you crave more sugar later.

Unless you think you have some kind of superhuman willpower to resist a craving, lol.
    In what fantasy universe does that happen? Or am I just a special snowflake that it doesn't happen to me?
  • twinsmom03
    twinsmom03 Posts: 90 Member
    It's essentially the same. Regular soda will give you sugar, diet soda will trick your body into thinking it's getting sugar, making you crave more sugar later.

Unless you think you have some kind of superhuman willpower to resist a craving, lol.

^this
  • sslopez24
    sslopez24 Posts: 110 Member
    I hate the taste of diet soda

Try Coke Zero or Pepsi Max ---- they really did get a lot better: stuff doesn't taste so "diet-y"

I agree!! The taste is better. I love both of these!
  • BeachIron
    BeachIron Posts: 6,490 Member
    How much am I exercising in this hypothetical?

entirely up to you.

If I'm eating in the neighborhood of 4000 plus calories a day because I'm engaged in cross country backpacking or the like, then I'm drinking the sugary stuff. Otherwise, I'd go diet. It's simply a matter of whether I need the extra calories.
  • IILikeToMoveItMoveIt
    IILikeToMoveItMoveIt Posts: 1,172 Member
    Diet will make it harder to loose fat cells and actually make them bigger. Aside from aspartame being a neurotoxin. I say regular and take the calorie hit.
  • Carnivor0us
    Carnivor0us Posts: 1,752 Member
    Diet, because I don't do well with sugar.
  • jwdieter
    jwdieter Posts: 2,582 Member
    Some pretty big opportunity cost issues with the regular, but the diet tastes awful. Guess I'd take the diet and grab some hot wings to wipe out the taste.
  • NZhellkat
    NZhellkat Posts: 355 Member
    Diet tastes nasty. Sorry but that is the way it is for me. If I do drink sod straight or mix it with alcohol, I'll take regular every time. Calories be damn. Just means more exercise.
  • BinaryPulsar
    BinaryPulsar Posts: 8,927 Member
    I would pick the diet, but if it caused bloating then I'd have a dilemma.
  • Minnie2361
    Minnie2361 Posts: 281 Member
    11/2 cup of soda has about 38-40 grams of sugar. If a teaspoon is 4.2 grams then that means you have about 9 teaspoons in a cup and half of soda.

go to the cupboard get a bowl and measure on 9 tsps. to see how much sugar is in that glass of pop.
    Worse yet people with long term consumption of soda/

THE ACID IN MOST POPULAR SODAS BREAKS DOWN TOOTH ENAMEL, IN THIS CASE IT IS NOT ABOUT THE SUGAR SO IT DOESN'T MATTER IF YOU CHOOSE THE NASTY DIETED SWEETENED STUFF.
    http://www.livescience.com/7198-acids-popular-sodas-erode-tooth-enamel.html
  • mspoopoo
    mspoopoo Posts: 500 Member
    There is no option for neither or "OMG, I don't even drink soda"
    You have to pick diet or regular.

Which in your opinion is healthier?

Why are you asking the question?

With your family history of obesity, high blood pressure, and diabetes what do you think would be best?
  • LiftAllThePizzas
    LiftAllThePizzas Posts: 17,857 Member
    11/2 cup of soda has about 38-40 grams of sugar. If a teaspoon is 4.2 grams then that means you have about 9 teaspoons in a cup and half of soda.

go to the cupboard get a bowl and measure on 9 tsps. to see how much sugar is in that glass of pop.

THE ACID IN MOST POPULAR SODAS BREAKS DOWN TOOTH ENAMEL, IN THIS CASE IT IS NOT ABOUT THE SUGAR SO IT DOESN'T MATTER IF YOU CHOOSE THE NASTY DIETED SWEETENED STUFF.
    Uh, I know it's a radical idea but just don't soak your teeth in soda all day and night.

The assumption that it will erode your teeth because of the result of soaking dead slices of tooth enamel for 48 hours also completely ignores the fact that tooth enamel is constantly being built. It's not like you're born with all the tooth enamel you're ever going to have.
  • mathjulz
    mathjulz Posts: 5,514 Member
    Diet will make it harder to loose fat cells and actually make them bigger. Aside from aspartame being a neurotoxin. I say regular and take the calorie hit.

Where is the facepalm emote?
  • It's essentially the same. Regular soda will give you sugar, diet soda will trick your body into thinking it's getting sugar, making you crave more sugar later.

This is a myth. Sure, you can find it on many blogs and .com websites. But the preponderance of actual research shows it doesn't increase insulin response ("tricking your body"). Research on cravings is much harder, since there's no objective measurement, but as long as you track calories and sugars, you can keep it in check (and many people report, even here on MFP, that the diet helps soothe their sugar cravings).

OP, I'd probably go for diet. 40 oz (3 1/2 cans) of Coke has 136.5 grams of sugar; that much added sugar on a daily basis would make me worry about Type II diabetes, not to mention the 500+ empty calories. That's a pound a week right there.

Of course, I probably wouldn't drink that much diet coke on a daily basis either. It's not so much the aspartame (although I think a bit more moderation would be better) as the carbonation and caffeine and carbonic acid and how it'll affect my teeth and bones.

I'm afraid that I, and a good amount of research would disagree with you. While some research suggests Aspartame dodges the glucose bullet, and that the effects are limited to sucralose and other such sweeteners, much of the research also demonstrates a placebo effect from the Aspartame, and that subject's glucose levels were tied to the perceived sweetness of a drink.

One such source --> http://journals.cambridge.org/action/displayAbstract?fromPage=online&aid=886000

I don't understand the point of this question. Why is "neither" not an option? It is the only sensible option.
  • _noob_
    _noob_ Posts: 3,306 Member

I don't understand the point of this question. Why is "neither" not an option? It is the only sensible option.

Saying neither is such a cop out and doesn't force you to actually address the issue from a soda drinker's point of view.
  • _noob_
    _noob_ Posts: 3,306 Member
    There is no option for neither or "OMG, I don't even drink soda"
    You have to pick diet or regular.

Why are you asking the question?

With your family history of obesity, high blood pressure, and diabetes what do you think would be best?

I just wanted to see what people would chose when "forced" to pick between two "evils".

I probably do drink near 40 oz. of diet soda per day.
  • 11/2 cup of soda has about 38-40 grams of sugar. If a teaspoon is 4.2 grams then that means you have about 9 teaspoons in a cup and half of soda.

i shouldn't have any teeth left then. DIET
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member

Diet. On restricted calories, they all need to count.