5 Minute video in fast time the Sad Truth about our meat

Replies

• TheGymGypsy
    TheGymGypsy Posts: 1,023 Member
    This is why people hate vegetarians.
  • Minnie2361
    Minnie2361 Posts: 281 Member
    I am not a vegeterian
  • Thanks. I just ate dinner.... and now I'm hungry again.

I don't see what the problem is. Those operations appear to be models of efficiency and cleanliness.
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    The quality of factory meat is much *much* higher than the quality of meat the vast majority of humans that ever lived ate up until...well...the advent of factory meat.

The good stuff - the free range pork and pastured beef - yeah, it tastes *even* better - but the reality is even the CAFO stuff is good by historical standards.
  • jen_zz
    jen_zz Posts: 1,011 Member
    I wonder whether the "free range" stuff has living conditions much better than this, probably not, maybe slightly better.
  • DamianaKitten
    DamianaKitten Posts: 479 Member
    I wonder whether the "free range" stuff has living conditions much better than this, probably not, maybe slightly better.

In general, it is not better. "must be allowed access for a significant portion of their lives" (to the outside). So... 300 chickens in a barn with one tiny door that goes outside qualifies as "free range." Sure, they are allowed to go out it for during their lives, doesn't mean they can (or will given the living conditions). The amount of space they should have access to is also not defined.

I buy locally when I can, and those I've bought from have always allowed me to tour their property to see how the animals are kept.