I need healthy lunch ideas

Options
If you have a favorite lunch you like to take to work, please share! This is the hardest meal for me to plan. I struggle so much with trying to find something healthy, not to mention I'm still trying to figure out what is actually healthy. I just realized my Lean Cuisines were terrible for me so I have scrapped those, but now I'm stuck eating Subway every day LOL

Replies

• jjinteso
    jjinteso Posts: 2,060 Member
    Options
    I eat a salad, beans and rice or a sandwich with low sodium meat and cheese. I also measure everything. I went to Bed, Bath and Beyond and got a food scale. You can check my log for ideas. I also pre-plan each day. Before I go to bed, I have a rough draft of what I will eat the next day.
  • ladynocturne
    ladynocturne Posts: 865 Member
    Options
    Most people make fresh versions of exactly what you'd buy in the frozen section of the store on Sundays and then just portion it out for the rest of the week.

Soups, Chili ect, you can also make your own sandwiches and salads.

There was a really awesome sounding recipe for making your own burritos to freeze so you can microwave them later floating around the recipes forum.

I like to make an extra portion of what I eat for dinner and save it for lunch the next day, but I get weird about leftovers, I don't like to eat anything older than 1day unless it's been frozen.

Yeah it takes more time and dedication. However, while I do know that the frozen food stuff isn't super "healthy" it's also not going to prevent you from losing weight, the sodium might cause you to retain a little extra water. If you don't want to put it in your body, that's perfectly fine.
  • Minnie2361
    Minnie2361 Posts: 281 Member
    Options
    Homemade fresh salad, not the fast food type {way way too much salt in those}
    Broccli Slaw with small amounts of added carrots, arugula, red/green/orange/ or yellow pepper added.
    Pasta whole wheat with 2 tbsp. of hummus [chickpeas high in protein] 1 tbsp. of parmaean, a dash of pepper.

Other times for salads I I use Kale, cauliflower, romaine lettuce, fresh dill, radishes, celery, add apples and and pan fried toasted slivered almonds also eggs can be added to it.
    I change up the pastas from butternut squash , to plain whole wheat, to whole wheat cheese tortellini for variety.

One serving of fresh fruit, either 1/2 banana , strawberries, blackberries. blueberries, grapes, orange, apple plum peach whatever.

Fresh fruit and salads plus whole wheat rice, pasta , bread and oatmeal are the staples of my diet. The meat and other sources of protein I Add to it.
    Another stand by is whole wheat bread and water packed tuna.
  • Amitysk
    Amitysk Posts: 705 Member
    Options
    Usually take the left over protein from the night before and slice it for salads. I do need to do a better job of bringing my lunches though. As it is, usually only 1-2 per week. But since I work in retail I really need to get away!
  • Krissy_K89
    Krissy_K89 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    One more question, what kinds of dressings do you guys use for salads? I am stuck right now because I really only like Ranch. I'm trying to experiment with a few others to find something healthier to use.
  • jjinteso
    jjinteso Posts: 2,060 Member
    Options
    I use Ken's Northern Italian with Basil and Romano (and limit to 2 tbsp).
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    Lean Cuisines aren't horrible ..... once in awhile. When I do bring them, I typically add extra veggies ... there just aren't enough of them in there.

Make you own sandwiches and wraps ..... whole grain bread or tortillas. You can get reduced sodium meats. Pack some fresh veggies and some fresh fruit & you're good to go. I like to make tuna salad. I can is good for 2 (generous) sandwiches (2 days of lunhes). Keep a stash of hard boiled eggs in the fridge. These are great as snacks, added to salads, or as egg salad..... reduced calorie mayo, or greek yogurt with lemon juice to replace higher calorie mayo.

Cobb salad wrap: lettuce, tomato, bacon, chicken, a sprinkle of cheese and ranch dressing in a tortilla. Grill up several chicken breasts ...... my grocery store has what they call "chicken breast tenders" ...... I throw these on my George Foreman grill ..... perfect size. I portion out into zip lock baggies.

Cottage cheese, fruit & whole wheat crackers. Again a side of veggies; cut up veggies and dip in hummus. Steamfresh bags, or a Glad Steam'n bag .....you can likely cook veggies at work.
  • bkoca
    bkoca Posts: 1
    Options
    Hello lovely,
    If you're in a rush to get to work or do not have time to prepare a proper lunch, I would suggest the plain old sandwich. Use whole wheat bread, add smoked turkey instead of ham or chicken and go extra on the spinach, cucumbers and any other vegetables you might like to add. For extra flavor you can add some mustard or light mayo too and of course a piece of sliced cheese! One sandwich will not keep you full for too long so aside from eating just a sandwich, pack yourself some fruits like blueberries. Theyre delicious and great for you. Never forget to bring water. Water is one of the main necessities for losing weight. You need atleast 8 cups a day. I recommend ice cold water because it helps burn more calories. Bring mini snacks you can munch on throughout the day to keep your metabolism running properly too. Apples, a banana, anything "naturally grown" will help you lose weight and you'll feel great after eating them too!!
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    One more question, what kinds of dressings do you guys use for salads? I am stuck right now because I really only like Ranch. I'm trying to experiment with a few others to find something healthier to use.

Buy some dry ranch dressing packets ....... Hidden Valley makes them. Add the dry seasoning to a mixture of greek yogurt & milk. Waaay lower in calories.

Newman's Lite Sesame Ginger salad dressing is great with a grilled chicken salad. Add mandarin oranges, snap peas, and chow mein noodles. 38 calories for 2 TLB.

I use a coffee scoop (it's 2 TBL) to measure dressing.....it's suprisingly really small.
  • ellel1234
    ellel1234 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    For me usually a turkey sandwich, banana and coffee, which is around 270 calories.

Turkey (deli thin shaved) -
    Sargento 40 Calorie Colby Jack Ultra Thin Sliced cheese
    2 slices of 40 calorie 12 grain bread
    =130 calories

Banana =120 calories

Coffee with skim milk and two splenda packets (need that afternoon pick-me-up, although I'm trying to reduce caffeine and splenda from my diet) = 17 calories.
  • aenright17
    Options
    Whole wheat tortilla spread with thin layer of hummus. Add lettuce, tomato, etc. whatever veggies you like! Cut the ends off and cut in half for delicious lunch wrap! Eat nuts on the side, veggies, or fruit!
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,619 Member
    Options
    I do a salad at least 3x/wk. You can buy baby spinach, mixed greens, whatever kind of salad and alternate types so that you don't get bored. Basically, one bag usually lasts me 3 days. I make different variations:

Pickled Salad Veg:
    chop carrots, cucumber, celery, peppers and place in resealable container with 2 tbs vinegar and herbs of your choice. Add 1 cup of the mixture to salad greens. Top with 2oz. lean protein, 1/4-1/2 cup cottage cheese, 1/4 small avocado. Because of the vinegar and other toppings, it does not need dressing:)

Fruity Salad:
    Chop a peach and a cup of strawberries (or other berries) and place on spinach leaves. Top with cottage cheese. This is good with a dressing made from 1 tsp honey, 1 tbs acv, and a bit of fresh black pepper. (Reduced fat raspberry walnut vinaigrette is also good).

I also like to add black olives or hummus to my salad when it needs extra flavor or calories. A can of tuna mixed with a hard boiled egg and hummus is also really good on salad.

Did I mention that I like salad? Anyways, I hardly ever use traditional salad dressing unless I have run out of my other standbys or need the extra calories.

Other things I take for lunch:
    greek yogurt with cranberry energy crunch trailmix
    an apple, an orange, cottage cheese, and some peanut or almond butter
    avocado sandwich with black olives and provolone on whole-grain bread--also good with tomato and sprouts
    leftover dinner
    greek or other flavored yogurt with a banana, a few almonds or cashews
    soup--with crackers or 1/2 turkey sandwich if really light
    frozen dinner
    Sometimes I need an extra fruit or nuts to go along with my salad if I've worked out hard. (orange, watermelon, pineapple, apple, cantaloupe or honeydew, blueberries, or a mixture.)
  • cde5gtown
    cde5gtown Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    If I know it will be a busy day I'll just make a protein shake to get me through lunch. I also have some oatmeal and peanut butter at work in case of emergencies.

Usually on weekends I'll prep a grain salad with veggies (my favorite one most recently is farro/quinoa with asparagus and Meyer lemon) or I'll make a leafy salad with a hearty green (most recently I'm into salads with ribbons of kale and a vinaigrette) and add some cooked protein to go on the side. I'll cook enough portions to last through the work week, but give myself one day to treat myself and buy lunch out with my coworkers.
  • bceltic
    bceltic Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    Lunch is my hardest meal also. Ive been doing protein shakes with peanut butter and fruits, but Im home so its easier for me. I LOVE salads, tried all the low cal , organic, sugar free etc... dressings out there and there all gross. I use regular ranch, measure it out ( so I dont go crazy) and it works. As long as it works in your calories, ranch its fine! Make sure to add protein there :).
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,619 Member
    Options
    If I know it will be a busy day I'll just make a protein shake to get me through lunch. I also have some oatmeal and peanut butter at work in case of emergencies.

Usually on weekends I'll prep a grain salad with veggies (my favorite one most recently is farro/quinoa with asparagus and Meyer lemon) or I'll make a leafy salad with a hearty green (most recently I'm into salads with ribbons of kale and a vinaigrette) and add some cooked protein to go on the side. I'll cook enough portions to last through the work week, but give myself one day to treat myself and buy lunch out with my coworkers.

I love the idea of keeping instant oatmeal and pb at work for emergencies! I'm totally stealing that one:)
  • waltcote
    waltcote Posts: 372 Member
    Options
    try a healthy salsa on your salad
  • mandyneedtolose
    mandyneedtolose Posts: 398 Member
    Options
    Lunches are hard if you gotta take it to work ... But my suggestions are .. Grilled up chicken and tilapia - store in fridge measure out desired amount and take that to work, salads with low fat dressing loaded with veggies, cheese stick fresh veggies, nuts, cottage cheese with fruit, boiled peeled eggs, left over dinner such as brown rice veggie stirfry , quinoa salads ... Protein veggies !! Lots of great food out there - prepare ahead of time store and enjoy !! :)