How important is macro preference for strength training?

Options
have just been resetting my goals on here and just wanted to get some advice on this, i know protein is very important here for resistence training and i have it set where im meeting at least hitting my lbm if not above on days i can...however it is after this im wondering what should take preference fat or carbohydrates...right not im at 45% carbs with 30% protein and 25 fat, should i be 40/30/30....any advice much appreciated. :)

Replies

• dlittlebear
    dlittlebear Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    cannot find out where to check the percents right now, but I just changed to a very low carb diet, and I get more than enough protein for my lbm. some days more some days less. too much protein turns to sugar. today I had 14 net carbs, 129g protein and 134g fat.

I recently changed diets due to being insulin resistant and a few other things.
  • dlittlebear
    Options
    found it

I have it set for 1800 cal
    10% carbs,
    40% protein
    50% fat.
  • Red_Sparrow
    Options
    I'm not sure where dittle got that protein turns into sugar. I'd be fascinated to see where that came from. Because I'm not sure how protein would magically turn into sugar.

Not to sugar precisely, but if you're in a ketogenic diet as (I assume) dlittle is, consuming too much protein can kick you out of ketosis because some of your protein is converted to glucose.

e: here we go -
    Lyle McDonald, in his ketogenic book, states "58% of all dietary protein will appear in the bloodstream as glucose". I don't know what conditions that occurs because I haven't read it cover-to-cover. You can search that phrase for an excerpt from the book on google books. Interesting stuff! :D
  • paleojoe
    paleojoe Posts: 442 Member
    Options
    IMO, as long as you have your minimal protein requirement set, the other two macros don't matter as much. Everyone is different so experiment and see what works for you. Generally, more carbs when you are really hitting it hard in the gym and vice versa, more fat when you are not. That said, don't over think it. Just get your calories from quality food, have good workouts and get some quality sleep.
  • dlittlebear
    Options
    yes not sugar exactly because even sugar in once consumed goes through a glycogen synthesis.

The journal of clinical investigation
    Activation of direct and indirect pathways of glycogen synthesis by hepatic overexpression of protein targeting to glycogen
    http://www.jci.org/articles/view/8673
  • BeachIron
    BeachIron Posts: 6,490 Member
    Options
    Don't worry about the ratios. Your protein goal should be based on your lean body mass, about 1 gram per pound of lean body mass. Also target about 0.35 grams of fat per pound of body weight. The rest can be carbs. The more calories you need to consume, the more carbs you can enjoy.

Unfortunately, the MFP goals are based on ratios, so just play with them until you get what you need for your current calorie intake. I have to adjust mine every time I change my calorie goal.
  • balancedbrunette
    balancedbrunette Posts: 530 Member
    Options
    Thank you so much everyone for your advice, helpful to hear others opinions...right now my ratios seem to be working for me so going to stick with it for another few weeks and check in again to see how things are going.
    IMO, as long as you have your minimal protein requirement set, the other two macros don't matter as much. Everyone is different so experiment and see what works for you. Generally, more carbs when you are really hitting it hard in the gym and vice versa, more fat when you are not. That said, don't over think it. Just get your calories from quality food, have good workouts and get some quality sleep.

^Thanks, i think its when i start over thinking it i second guess myself on everything when i've been doing fine so needed some of this advice.