some help!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Options
Hey guys, im planning on joining the army as soon as I am physically within requirements. I want to enlist on my 22nd birthday, or really close to then (may 2nd). I currently weight 282 and I need to be within 125-175.
does anyone have any advice, workouts or special diets.

seriously anything will help.

Replies

• bceltic
    bceltic Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    So if my calculations are right, you have apx 35 weeks to lose at least 107 lbs. You would have to lose apx 3 lbs a week. Hopefully someone will come along with more experience here to add suggestions for you. Good luck.
  • kelleyhelm1
    kelleyhelm1 Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    thanks. ps what is apx?
  • SailorKnightWing
    SailorKnightWing Posts: 875 Member
    Options
    Approximately.
  • nathalier71
    nathalier71 Posts: 570 Member
    Options
    approximately
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,613 Member
    Options
    It's possible, but not probable. Set your goal to lose 3 lbs/wk and see how you do. You'll need to do cardio and strength to get in shape for your enlistment. I had to workout 2-3x/day to get those kinds of results. Good luck.
  • kelleyhelm1
    Options
    with working out 2 to3 times a day, do you suggest any specific types of workouts. i don't wanna do the same thing three times a day. that's gonna get real old real quick.
  • nettie219
    nettie219 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    You might want to get a personal trainer to start off since you have to lose a lot of weight fast. I heard jogging helps with losing weight fast so maybe start jogging. I wish you lots of losing and you can do it. I wish I could help you more, but I have been battling my weight for many years and just starting out. I am new to MFP and can't wait to see the changes in me. Love the success stories on this site. Good luck!!
    48193786.png
  • kelleyhelm1
    Options
    Thanks nettie, and good luck to you as well. your awesome and you can do this. :):) thanks.
  • Onperch
    Onperch Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    One bit of advice that I can give you..... lose the weight before you enlist.

You don't want to go to boot camp when you have weight to lose to meet their standards. Trust me,
    you're doing yourself a favor by losing the weight at home.

Boot camps are easier these days. But you'll still be doing yourself a great big favor by being ready
    BEFORE you go in.

Thankfully I lucked out and was in shape and ready to go when I got off the bus and met my first screaming
    drill instructor. That was shortly before they shaved off all of my hair. And woke me up in the middle of that night
    by smashing empty metal garbage cans off of the metal bunkbeds that we were sleeping in. They were screaming at the top of their lungs, telling us to hit the showers and "wash that civilian scum off of your bodies !"

Ahhh.... the good ole' days.
  • kelleyhelm1
    Options
    thanks, that was exactly my plan, do you think i should hold off on contacting a recruiter until i lose the weight, or contact them and let them help me. I really don't know.
  • Dr_Waffles
    Dr_Waffles Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    with working out 2 to3 times a day, do you suggest any specific types of workouts. i don't wanna do the same thing three times a day. that's gonna get real old real quick.

you don't need to work out 2-3 times a day. once a day 30-40 minutes, cardio cardio cardio. 1700-1800 calories. do not listen to the 1200 calorie people, they are crazy from lack of nutrition.

oh and don't expect any miracles

also, drink your water. at least 8 eight ounce glasses daily.
  • JanMarie2BHealthy
    Options
    Military brat and spouse is retired US Army: I would suggest taking a bit more time if necessary to lose the weight (all of it) and gain as much strength and endurance that you can PRIOR to contacting a recruiter. Also, thank you for wanting to serve our country. Maybe a personal trainer? You probably have already had a physical with your family doctor - just to make sure it is AOK for you to go "full steam ahead". Good Luck. There are a lot of wise people here at MFP that share what they have learned, I have learned a lot.. :smile:
  • michellekicks
    michellekicks Posts: 3,624 Member
    Options
    How tall are you? I could help you with calculations.

I also did boot camp with the Canadian Forces and want to say this: do not go in without being able to do, say, 20 pushups (good ones) a couple of chin-ups and the ability to run 3 miles or so. If you can do all this you're miles ahead of the game.

If American boot camp is anything like Canadian, they will punish you with physical tasks. So you don't iron your clothes right? You do a 4 minute wall sit. You talk out of turn, you run an extra mile. On my Engineer course I had to do 10 chin-ups every time I had to use the restroom, so I had to take someone with me to help :laugh:

The fitter you are, the less punishment actually will feel like punishment. If you're in super shape, they can't do anything to break you. If you're not, you'll spend a lot of time crying. That was my experience. I was 18 and out of shape... then had to run 4 miles with them yelling behind me the whole way. :ohwell:
  • cjcmrn
    cjcmrn Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    If I was you don't limit yourself to your 22nd bday, realize it may take a little longer.
    Start with your diet then slowly add in exercise. Just taking it all on at once may be a lot to take on at once.
    When you start getting closer to your goal you may want to consider Crossfit.
    I am trying to train for law enforcement and have found that not only has it increased my strength but also my stamina which will really help you.

Add me if you need any extra motivation
  • kelleyhelm1
    Options
    How tall are you? I could help you with calculations.

I also did boot camp with the Canadian Forces and want to say this: do not go in without being able to do, say, 20 pushups (good ones) a couple of chin-ups and the ability to run 3 miles or so. If you can do all this you're miles ahead of the game.

If American boot camp is anything like Canadian, they will punish you with physical tasks. So you don't iron your clothes right? You do a 4 minute wall sit. You talk out of turn, you run an extra mile. On my Engineer course I had to do 10 chin-ups every time I had to use the restroom, so I had to take someone with me to help :laugh:

The fitter you are, the less punishment actually will feel like punishment. If you're in super shape, they can't do anything to break you. If you're not, you'll spend a lot of time crying. That was my experience. I was 18 and out of shape... then had to run 4 miles with them yelling behind me the whole way. :ohwell:

i am 5'9"
    thanks. that helps a lot.
  • bob_day
    bob_day Posts: 87
    Options
    If you can afford it, you could sign up at a weight loss
    boot camp. I think some of these call themselves
    "resorts", but in fact they are upscale boot camps.
    My daughter was very successful at one of these --
    she lost about 4 pounds per week in the four months
    she attended. But it's serious work -- six hours per
    day of fitness exercises and a 1400 calorie per day diet.
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,613 Member
    Options
    No, never do the same thing 3x. lol! My routine was something like this:
    am: 30 DS
    mid morning: walk with incline
    pm: run

am: aerobics
    mid: walk with incline
    pm: weights

Combinations of things like: HIIT, boot camp-type workouts, weight training, circuit training, running, walking, aerobics
    Diet: lots of lean protein and vegetables, smaller amounts of fruits and starches, little to no alcohol and junk food
  • michellekicks
    michellekicks Posts: 3,624 Member
    Options
    So based on this: http://scoobysworkshop.com/accurate-calorie-calculator/

Your BMR is 2112.

If you exercise 3-5 hours/week you will burn an average of 3273 calories daily. If you eat 2200 calories/day and exercise 5 hours a week, you should lose right around 2 lbs/week.

Of those 2200 calories, you should aim to eat 120g protein each and every day. Supplement if you have to.
  • Onperch
    Onperch Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    thanks, that was exactly my plan, do you think i should hold off on contacting a recruiter until i lose the weight, or contact them and let them help me. I really don't know.

If you're interested in a critical rate (mos) then I would contact them early. As in, if the job you want to do is short staffed or bonuses are involved.. then contact them. Also if you don't want a delay or if you wanted to deploy by a given time then I would contact them.

If you haven't taken your ASVAB or if you're not sure what job you want to do, then call them.

As far weight loss goes, they can make suggestions. They can tell you what to expect physically. But you can find out a lot on the boards here.

Just remember that if you do contact them, they will try to get you to sign papers as soon as they can. They have a performance based quota to fulfill. You may not want to feel pressured. They're usually good at that. There's nothing wrong with waiting until you're a little closer to your goal.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Armed_Services_Vocational_Aptitude_Battery