Slacklining

Options
pyrowill
pyrowill Posts: 1,163 Member
Hi,

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Slacklining

Just curious if anyone here does this? It's slowly becoming quite popular in the UK and Europe. not sure about the American scene. I can get on the line and walk a little bit, and I literally am sweating within 5 minutes. Really good all body workout, and all you need is the line and two trees/poles.

I saw this beautiful french film about the slacklining/highlining scene there, heres the trailer if anyone can spare 2 minutes to watch.

Replies

• pyrowill
    Options
    In fact, I'm off to go rig up the line for 90 mins or so before the sunset. Determined to walk the whole line tonight!
  • pyrowill
    Options
    No one? Bumpers bump
  • ruthie3110
    ruthie3110 Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    I'd love to try this again, you can do similar stuff in places like Go Ape (UK) and I did a full tree course, which included some slacklining on holiday in france a few years back.
  • pyrowill
    Options
    Awesome video of some guy just chilling out on one outside a random shop.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h-jstozas-0&feature=related
  • TGKvr
    TGKvr Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    Due to knee injuries, I haven't been able to do this for the last year but I'm getting strong enough now to get back into it! It is so much fun, and addictive too! Your abs and legs will definitely be sore the next day if you do this for any length of time - it's a fantastic core workout!
    Gibbon now has a portable stand alone unit called the slackrack. So you can set it up anywhere, and don't need anchors/trees. The portable is a 2" line, but the "purists" will tell you that you should only work on a 1" line. Personally I don't feel a huge difference between the two, but overall prefer the 1". For anyone looking to get a great core workout that's a little out of the box, you really can't go wrong with this. I'm excited to finally return, as I was getting really good at it before my injuries!
  • ellel1234
    ellel1234 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I love slacklining :) I wish it was in the exercise database because sometimes after doing it for an hour or so I am working up a sweat
  • IvyWhispers
    IvyWhispers Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    I know quite a few slackliners :') my boyfriend got me on his once and now I'm hooked...got my own line yesterday.

It's great for balance and really works your legs and core muscles, even your arms and shoulders if you're holding them higher to balance :)
  • chuckyp
    chuckyp Posts: 693 Member
    Options
    I just ordered one. Gotta figure out where I am going to anchor it though. None of my back yard trees are big enough yet.
  • toutmonpossible
    toutmonpossible Posts: 1,580 Member
    Options
    I'm on Mark Sisson's email newsletter list and he wrote about this earlier this week. It looks interesting, but considering that the last time I tried a challenging exercise that was suggested in an email (not his newsletter) I suffered the worst ankle injury of my life, ended up here, and 18 months later my ankle still is not completely healed and probably will never be the same I think I'll pass.
  • amber0600
    amber0600 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    My friend got me doing this last summer. I just took it back up recently. I really wish there was a wah to log it. I put it umder calisthenics the other day. I love it though Im in oklahoma amd most people have no idea what im doing. I am finally getting walkimg down. Glad to see some other fitness pals slacking.