I overate this entire week-what have you done to start over

Options
This week I over ate every day by at least 500 cals. I'm not even looking fwd to the scale going down this week. I'm not looking for sympathy.
VENT TIME: I don't really know why I'm eating like this. I assume it's emotional. I'm not sad or mad but I guess I'm a lil stressed. I don't feel stressed out per say, but I know my body is. I'm very irritated. I'm so sleepy. I have been working overtime (12hrs-230pm-3am) almost every day and on my days off I have been working @11am and not really getting proper rest. This would be ok when I didn't have a 1 yr old waking me up as soon as I got to bed. In 24hrs I probably have only been getting 4 hrs of sleep. I know that your body burns cals while sleep so I'm sure my body is holding on to cals. Next week is my last week doing over time. I wanted to make some extra money while my kids were out of school just to have a lil savings and pay for Christmas without a struggle. Plus I just came out of a bad financial situation and don't want to go back there. Needless to say, I have planned my meals earlier this month week by week. Sat is my short day at work so I usually write out my meals for the week and go to the store and precook them. The problem happens when I'm too tired on one of the days and it just throws me off for all the other days. Thank God I'm on mfp to be able to see what I'm doing vs the old days and letting it continue and a whopping 30 lbs ends up on my body whewwww...

I'm just wondering if there is anyone that has been through this or can give me some advice in this situation. PLEASE BE NICE or don't comment...

PS Tomorrow I DO plan to start over again with planning my food. BTW I still have been working out, I have just been eating more cals than what I have burned.

Replies

• lilpoindexter
    lilpoindexter Posts: 1,122 Member
    Options
    When I feel like I have to pig out, I try something like eating a big *kitten* bag of grapes, or something...it's still bad, but In my mind, not as bad. But hey, you realize you did wrong...maybe next week you will only over eat two or three days in the week, and a year from today, you will be golden. Don't beat yourself up over it, just try to better...we've all been in the same situation.:smile:
  • cmcollins001
    cmcollins001 Posts: 3,472 Member
    Options
    This week I over ate every day by at least 500 cals. I'm not even looking fwd to the scale going down this week. I'm not looking for sympathy.
    VENT TIME: I don't really know why I'm eating like this. I assume it's emotional. I'm not sad or mad but I guess I'm a lil stressed. I don't feel stressed out per say, but I know my body is. I'm very irritated. I'm so sleepy. I have been working overtime (12hrs-230pm-3am) almost every day and on my days off I have been working @11am and not really getting proper rest. This would be ok when I didn't have a 1 yr old waking me up as soon as I got to bed. In 24hrs I probably have only been getting 4 hrs of sleep. I know that your body burns cals while sleep so I'm sure my body is holding on to cals. Next week is my last week doing over time. I wanted to make some extra money while my kids were out of school just to have a lil savings and pay for Christmas without a struggle. Plus I just came out of a bad financial situation and don't want to go back there. Needless to say, I have planned my meals earlier this month week by week. Sat is my short day at work so I usually write out my meals for the week and go to the store and precook them. The problem happens when I'm too tired on one of the days and it just throws me off for all the other days. Thank God I'm on mfp to be able to see what I'm doing vs the old days and letting it continue and a whopping 30 lbs ends up on my body whewwww...

I'm just wondering if there is anyone that has been through this or can give me some advice in this situation. PLEASE BE NICE or don't comment...

PS Tomorrow I DO plan to start over again with planning my food. BTW I still have been working out, I have just been eating more cals than what I have burned.

A) You can't expect people to "BE NICE" and give you real advice. Sometimes the truth or advice doesn't always come across as "nice"...if it did, it would be a compliment. Either you want advice, and there is normally plenty...or you want people to pat you and head and say, "There, there, we've all done it, it'll be ok."

2) To start over, you do just that. You make a conscious effort to hit your calorie goals and stop there. An occasional day or two going over is fine...think more on a weekly basis than on a daily basis.

III) Look over the food you eat and make sure your getting enough of the types of food that keep you fuller longer. While I have no problem with things like donuts and cupcakes, they don't keep you full...add plenty of protein, i.e. lean meats, and stuff like oatmeal. Also, log actual food, not quick add calories. Weigh and measure whenever you get a chance, be as accurate as possible.

Fourth) It might not be a bad idea to take a week or two (I prefer two) where you eat at maintenance or slightly above...but don't worry about any weight gain, just realize that you're at maintenance or close to it and that it's not "actual" fat and the scale will move back down once you get back to your deficit. It's commonly known as a "diet break" and in some circles, it does your body and mind good. I just did it and I came back stronger and more refreshed. Ate more, slowed my exercise, then got right back on track. In the big picture, you have to realize this isn't a daily or even weekly thing, it's a lifetime of learning to find your balance.
  • WildlyCurly
    WildlyCurly Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    Don't worry, just keep moving forward. I am glad you are going to start over again. You can always get back on track. Look at it this way: over the course of a year one bad week is not that bad. Since there are 52 weeks, and you mess up on 1 week, that's still a 98% success rate, an A+.
  • TemikaThompson
    TemikaThompson Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    Thanks! At least THIS time I don't feel guilty about it because I caught it in time. i just don't want it to become a habit you know...
    Grapes would have been good, but the only problem is that I didn't make time to shop.
  • TemikaThompson
    Options
    well thank you wildcurly!
  • walleymama
    walleymama Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    Well, I don't think you are looking for advice: you know what needs to be done and you know you didn't do it and you know why you gained weight. Therefore, no reason for anyone to be unkind to you.

On the contrary, I was moved by your story and how hard you are working. I cannot imagine pulling the hours you do with a 1 year old at home. No wonder you are having trouble sticking to this, girl! You've got a lot on your plate. The lack of sleep alone is enough to seriously mess with your emotional resources, and without those you will find willpower, patience, and all the other stuff you need to stick to a new lifestyle to be in short supply.

Why don't you decide that this week of OT is your 'break week', wait until you are out of this situation and start again when you are not so overworked and stressed out.
  • TemikaThompson
    Options
    That was funny!!!
    >>> "There, there, we've all done it, it'll be ok." I didn't mean it like that. It's just that some ppl can be plain RUDE and be like,"Well 1st of all you shouldn't have done so and so... I don't wanna hear any of that.

Great idea!---->think more on a weekly basis than on a daily basis.

I rarely add quick cals, I just do it if I dont have the full nutritional facts.---->>> have Also, log actual food, not quick add calories.

I love this!
    >>>>>Fourth) It might not be a bad idea to take a week or two (I prefer two) where you eat at maintenance or slightly above...but don't worry about any weight gain, just realize that you're at maintenance or close to it and that it's not "actual" fat and the scale will move back down once you get back to your deficit. It's commonly known as a "diet break" and in some circles, it does your body and mind good. I just did it and I came back stronger and more refreshed. Ate more, slowed my exercise, then got right back on track. In the big picture, you have to realize this isn't a daily or even weekly thing, it's a lifetime of learning to find your balance.
    [/quote]
  • theoriginaljayne
    theoriginaljayne Posts: 562 Member
    Options
  • TemikaThompson
    Options
    Why don't you decide that this week of OT is your 'break week', wait until you are out of this situation and start again when you are not so overworked and stressed out.
    [/quote]

Thanks! I already signed up for OT. And eventhough I can cancel next wk, I'm only doing it on Mon and Fri so I will at least be off on Wed and Thur 2 days in a row. Thanks for your concern. And yes, I do kinda know what to do, but it's always good to hear what someone else did or can offer because after all, I always "knew" what to do, but for some reason I didn't do it in the past, the reason...who knows...
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    Options
    Well, since you only went over by 500 calories each day, you probably just ate at maintenance all week. In that case, you didn't do any harm at all. All you did was hold steady. There's no reason eating at maintenance would derail your plan at all - just slows it down temporarily like you took a little break. Just start right up with a deficit when you're ready and you'll be on your way again. No worries! :drinker:
  • TemikaThompson
    Options
    http://www.nerdfitness.com/blog/2012/08/16/get-over-it/

OMG! Thank you so much!!!! See this is why I asked for advice (help) I like how this said that my next workout is the most important or something like that. Made a lot of sense from what I alloed myself to do in the past. I will follow what it says Thanks a bunch!
  • TemikaThompson
    Options
    Well, since you only went over by 500 calories each day, you probably just ate at maintenance all week. In that case, you didn't do any harm at all. All you did was hold steady. There's no reason eating at maintenance would derail your plan at all - just slows it down temporarily like you took a little break. Just start right up with a deficit when you're ready and you'll be on your way again. No worries! :drinker:

Hmmm I didn't think of it this way...I actually didn't know that was maintenance. I'm still learning but now I get it. BUT you didn't read what I said, 500 was the "least" that I went over. It's been days where I went way over that. But thanks to you all, I'm really gonna make this week work and move on from this week.
  • honkytonks85
    honkytonks85 Posts: 669 Member
    Options
    If I go over by 500 I will go under by 500 the next day.
  • prosperkat
    prosperkat Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    My priorities when I am really tired or busy:

1. Log faithfully. If I don't have time for anything else - as long as I log then I can live with it - it keeps me accountable.
    2. Plan ahead. That includes shopping healthy, making meals and snacks the night before so I can just grab and go to work in the morning no matter how late I am running.
    3. If I am too tired to do a full exercise session, then at least do a little something. Even 10 min of step-ups on our stairs is better than nothing.

Beyond that I push to execute my full plan.
  • Ang108
    Ang108 Posts: 1,711 Member
    Options
    What's done is done. Look forward and don't dwell too much on what cannot be changed.
    If you have eaten 500 calories a day more, it means that you ate 3500 extra during this week. Those 3500 calories is your deficit. This in return means that you probably maintained your weight and did not lose, but you also did not gain. Considering that you had a very stressful week, this is not such a bad deal and if I were you, I would not beat myself up over it.
    Better luck next week !
  • Majda1234
    Options
    It's great that you are realising that you should get back on track and now you need to realise ou are strong enough to do it and once you get back into routione it will be a piece of cake. If it makes you feel better, i have had a really rough patch in y life and have been going 2-3000 over my calorie maintainance for a week or two. I realised what i was doing was emotional overeating and got back on track and my complsive overeating stopped.
  • chatterbox3110
    chatterbox3110 Posts: 630 Member
    Options
    It happens I'm afraid, none of us are perfect.

I had surgery on my foot last year, which hasn't been successful and it's taken me almost a year to get back on track with exercise, but I am actually proud to admit that my weight stayed around the same give or take a couple of pounds, which for me personally is a massive achievement. I've had days where I've been absolutely disgusted with myself; yes, it has shown on the scales, and in past years I'd have given up, regained all I'd lost and more.

I've stayed faithful to MFP and logged EVERYTHING, good, bad and horrendous days, as a reminder that the only person I'm being unfaithful to is myself.

Don't give up on yourself, you're way more worthy.

The best thing to do is not to let it get to you, what's done is done, you can't change what's in the past so just take a deep breath, relax and concentrate on the future.

Good luck!
  • PaulaKro
    PaulaKro Posts: 5,687 Member
    Options
    1. Drink lots of water - it fills you up, no calories.

2. Have protein shakes - it gives you energy with minimum calories per protein. Starting in the morning makes it easier to get through the day.

3. Take a couple multi-vitamins each day. Reduce your body's cravings for nutrition.

4. Try to go cold turkey on your trigger foods. (I'm a carb addict, have to stay on the wagon.)

5. Distract yourself. Exercise is a good alternative. So is a movie. So are babies.

6. Be proud of yourself and what you've achieved. Just think how you would feel if you'd just lost a bunch of weight to get to where you are.

7. Track your food carefully. It really helps. You can look at the end of the day and see what nutrients you still need and how many calories you can use to get them.

8. You already know you're trying. Congratulations!!!!
  • TemikaThompson
    Options
    If I go over by 500 I will go under by 500 the next day.

I did try doing this but it just makes me feel weak and get headaches unfortunately. But thanks
  • helenx55
    helenx55 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    My thoughts, you didnt have anything in to nibble on that was healthy, to me shopping and having foods in that i can eat is crucial.....be prepared, then when you think oh ill have this you can stop and think nope it's not worth it ill have a piece of fruit instead.
    You ate bad last week, last week is gone and is never coming back leave the guilt there and get back in the saddle.