Android or iPhone?

Options
Not sure if this is the right forum or not, but it is time for me to buy a new phone and there are currently just apps for Android and iPhone. So....can anyone weigh in on which they prefer for MFP?

Replies

• jrich1
    jrich1 Posts: 2,408 Member
    Options
    Its preference, I would check out both and whats available for your provider.
  • ktc33
    ktc33 Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    I LOVE my iPhone!! The MFP app is very easy to use on the iPhone, but I haven't seen it on the Android so I'm not sure if there is a difference.
  • mrkristin
    Options
    the app on Android destroys my battery life if I don't shut it down with a third party app (app Killer).

I'm also think the iPhone is a more polished device than the Android I have (MyTouch).

$0.02
  • danibabs
    danibabs Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    I've never seen the iPhone app, but I have a Droid Incredible and while I prefer the site, I've never had an issue with the android app and it's super convenient when I'm out and need to record something or jsut make a decision about what to eat or drink.
    To throw an additional 2 cents in, my boyfriend and one of our roomates both work at an electronics store. I have the Incredible, my boyfriend has the Blackberry Bold, and our other roomate has the iPhone. Both of them say my phone is the best of the 3 (I agree :) ). I don't have a single complaint about it.
  • badshot
    Options
    Ive heard a couple people say, 'Android call me when your out of beta', personally I have the iphone 3gs and haven't looked back, and i'm choosy when looking at smartphones, but its each to their own.

Good luck with your choice
  • AngieBil
    Options
    Same boat as above - never used the Android but I have had the iPhone since it first came out and I LOVE IT!
  • Sumatra
    Sumatra Posts: 181
    Options
    My husband has had an iPhone for a while and I've loved it. When I recently lost my old phone and had to get another one, I looked at others, but I still liked the iPhone best. I just got mine a few weeks ago and I love it.
  • sexylonglegs
    Options
    I use Android...never had any problems with it. But sounds like the majority prefer the iphone. :flowerforyou:
  • toots99
    toots99 Posts: 3,794 Member
    Options
    100% iPhone...
  • Shawna_831
    Options
    I have the iPhone app and thats actually how I discovered MFP. I love love love it! My husband has the droid and has gone through 3 or 4 now. I still have my same iPhone :bigsmile:
  • timlgee
    Options
    I would look at both phone types and decide on what you need the most. Personally, I go with provider first and then phone second. I have the HTC EVO 4G. It's my first Android phone and have really taken a liking to it. If the iPhone were on my carrier, I'd probably have it but that being said, I went with what I would like with my carrier.

The iPhone is pretty much for people that just want to pick up a smartphone and use it. Android phones are much more customizable and can really be tailored to an individual. In response to MFP, since I am not certain of the iPhone app, I can only say the Android version is quite good and I use it to log my food, water and exercise when I'm on the go and to review my stats of course. They, in fact, just released an update which seems to have added notes and some other things that I haven't dug into as well.

Good luck to you in your phone search. There's many many options out there and you should always go with what you like and waht you intend to use something for. Cheers!
  • fitnesscalv
    fitnesscalv Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    iPhone, best phone on the market and that's why I have one.

Oh and plenty of apps for fitness including myfitnesspal which works well.
  • sutehi
    sutehi Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    That's actually a trick question, because "Android" is just the operating system; many different phone models can run it. Some Android-based phones are better than the iPhone, some are worse.

The MFP app *should* be pretty much the same, regardless of what phone you get.

I'd recommend going to the store, and trying out both the iPhone and whatever Android-based phones they have. Get a feel for what its like to move through the screens, open and close apps, and so forth. Its the UI ("user experience") which makes or breaks the phone, so go with the one that feels the most comfortable to you. If you have to spend more than 5 minutes getting used to the phone, you probably won't enjoy using it. Even between different Android phones, there can be a big difference.

Apart from a different UI experience, the main advantage that Android offers is that its easier to hack, and you can install your own software on it. If you're not a programmer, this probably won't matter to you.

Disclaimer: I <3 my iPhone to death, but would probably be just as happy with a Nexus One.
  • carbonboy
    Options
    I use MFP on my android phone, and I used Livestrong on my iPhone when I had it. Can't say anything about MFP on the iPhone, but it works very well on my android phone. It's easier than Livestrong once it builds your database of frequently eaten foods and exercises. Below are some more general thoughts about the two platforms...

I've been a die-hard iPhone guy since they came out in '07. I have owned all four models, including the iPhone 4, which I took back last week and replaced with the Samsung Captivate. If you're on AT&T, the Captivate is pretty much the only viable Android alternative to the iPhone. The reason(s) I switched? I became bored with essentially the same old OS that all of my iPhones had. I wanted to try something new. My general impressions are that I LOVE the big, bright 4" screen on the Captivate, and my calls don't get dropped as often (seriously, it was rare that I could make a call on my iPhone that didn't get dropped). But if you like apps, I will tell you that obviously there are more available for the iPhone, and they tend to be more polished than their android counterparts. I'm still waiting for the Netflix app for android, because I loved it on my iPhone. The android is more customizable though with animated wallpapers, widgets, the notification system is a bit better than iPhone, and the app market is getting better, though still not near the shopping experience you'll get from Apple. The reason I got the MFP app is because I used the Livestrong app on my iPhone, and they really screwed up the android version of it and took it down to fix it. The Captivate also comes with free turn-by-turn navigation with text-to-speech, which I really like. All in all, you can't go wrong with either phone. But I'll tell ya...I do love the big screen on my Samsung for watching media. It all depends on what's important to you.