Your best Avocado recipe?

Options

Replies

• tumbledownhouse
    tumbledownhouse Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    ( the green skin pear-shaped kind, not the knobbly dark egg-shaped one - yuck)

No way! Hass 4 lyfe! <3

I used to HATE avocado which was funny coming from a family of guacamole munchers. Now I lurrrrve it. It's great on toast, with a poached egg and sriracha mmmm. Or by itself with a bit of salt and pepper.

I also LOVE it on toast with a bit of sweet chilli sauce and maybe some ham too...
  • mommy_03
    mommy_03 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    the first I tasted avocado I was NOT a fan and thought it was gross, but I was bound and determined to LIKE it lol, so I kept trying it and now I am in LOVE with it and eat it several times a week, I slice it like a tomato to put on my turkey burgers and make guacamole to dip tortillas in and also put in my salads...it is in acquired taste and I think the texture of it is what grossed me out, it is very smushy and def has a unique taste to it...good luck!!
  • Amberonamission
    Amberonamission Posts: 836 Member
    Options
    Chickpea (garbanzo bean) Salad
    1 ripe avocado
    1/4 cup hulled sunflower seeds
    1 can of chickpeas drained
    salt and pepper
    juice of 1/2 a lemon.

Mash it all together and serve on grainy bread. I like it with onion anf tomato slices.
  • curlyloca
    curlyloca Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    Cut avocado in half. Talk dirty to it. Scoop out delicious velvety yumminess. A sprinkle of salt. Eat. Mmmmmm
  • nutritionstudent12
    Options
    I replace the butter in my baked cakes with avo! Beautiful dense and smooth consistency
  • BoatJunkie
    Options
    MMMMmmmmmmm Avocados, I love them on anything. well almost anything.
    sliced on a BLT, awesome.
    On top of a hamburger, chicken sandwich, excellent
    Guacamole: mash up avocados, dice some white onions (Spanish), add some sea salt, diced tomatoes (fresh), squirt some lemon juice, and squeeze some fresh lime in it. I like to add some decent salsa in it or even some Rotel with green chilies. you can add more or less of all these or even some jalapenos if you like. once all your ingredients are in, mix thoroughly and add a little sour cream to give it some creaminess. I really do not think there is a wrong way to go with guacamole.
    I also like it on sushi rolls.
    on omelets it is amazing.
    I also like them sliced set along side some sliced tomato and salted with coarse sea salt, or kosher salt.
    I have used it to replace lettuce on a sandwich, and even whipped it up to replace the mayo too.
    Enjoy.
  • MFPRat
    MFPRat Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    Alton Brown's guacamole recipe
  • Songbirdcw
    Songbirdcw Posts: 320 Member
    Options
    Chickpea (garbanzo bean) Salad
    1 ripe avocado
    1/4 cup hulled sunflower seeds
    1 can of chickpeas drained
    salt and pepper
    juice of 1/2 a lemon.

Mash it all together and serve on grainy bread. I like it with onion anf tomato slices.

Wow. Sounds delish. I must try! Thanks!
  • EddieHaskell97
    EddieHaskell97 Posts: 2,227 Member
    Options
    Walk/Jog/Run/Drive to Costco

Purchase Wholly Guacamole, and enjoy the low-carb ambrosia!
  • tambam69
    tambam69 Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    bump, avocado is good with almost anything.....
  • joyce0624
    joyce0624 Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    Bump!
  • LoosingMyLast15
    LoosingMyLast15 Posts: 1,457 Member
    Options
    slice and eat. YUM! :)
  • sknapstein
    sknapstein Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    If you end up trying it and absolutely hating it, it's LOVELY mixed with coconut oil and used as a deep conditioning treatment in your hair!

ah ha ha ha.... that's funny!

But seriously, my mom introduced it to me when I was little. She would chunk it, and add salt, olive oil and lemon juice. That's my favorite way, but love it as guacamole or in a black bean and corn salsa. I just love it.
  • LMick1986
    Options
    MMMMmmmmmmm Avocados, I love them on anything. well almost anything.
    sliced on a BLT, awesome.

I can't believe I forgot about the BALT!!!!
  • lsigall
    lsigall Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    I smoosh them on wholegrain toast and dust with salt and pepper (no need for butter). I sometimes add sliced tomato on top. Makes a really yummy, low calorie, healthy and filling breakfast or lunch.

^This^ Yum.
  • sknapstein
    sknapstein Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I replace the butter in my baked cakes with avo! Beautiful dense and smooth consistency

Really? I'll have to try that. Do you use it routinely as a butter substitute in baked goods? i.e. brownies, cookies, etc.? or just cakes?
  • MuseofSong
    MuseofSong Posts: 322 Member
    Options
    Best recipe?

Wash
    Cut in half with large knife.
    Pull apart
    Smack business end of knife cross ways across pit
    Twist and remove
    Pull off skin (the tear and flip method is very effective)
    Eat Avocado

Win! ~I love you avocado~ :smooched:

Grew up with fresh avocados my whole childhood. We had an avocado farm. Hooray for Hass.
  • claudiakendall98
    claudiakendall98 Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    bump and thanks
  • KabbyGU
    KabbyGU Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    My lunch today: salmon stuffed avocado

Avocado (half)

Mix:
    1 ounce of grilled salmon
    1 ounce of greek yogurt
    Tablespoon scallions
    Teaspoon Dijon mustard
    Salt/pepper to taste

Stuff that avocado...yum! (& under 200 calories!) have two for a meal, or spread it over a tortilla for a "cold pizza"
  • haniipop
    Options
    I'm really lazy. I just cut the avacado in half, scoop the nut out, lightly sprinkle it with salt, take a spoon and just start digging straight into it.