Changed goal to TDEE but gained!

Options
2»

Replies

• Zina1963
    Zina1963 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    My dietician has told me twice to increase my calorie intake, and I have resisted. The first time I didn't listen, and I only lost 2 lbs in a month. I was eating 1270, sometimes eating back what I exercised. Now I'm going to listen. She wants me to eat 1500-1600 a day, My BMR is 1650, and I've been working out 4-5 times a week. I don't get on the scale at home any more, and I don't go back to see the dietician until Sept 26. All I've been reading on MFP has made me a believer - so I'm going to do what she said, and hope for the best.
  • jlahorn
    jlahorn Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    Same here. 1200+ eating back some exercise calories is how I lose .5 - 1 lb per week.

Eating TDEE-20% is actually maintenance for me, regardless of the fact that the math and physics there don't really make sense. if I raise my calories to my TDEE, I start gaining. C'est la vie, I guess.

Gain what exactly?

1.5 lbs over 6 weeks at the TDEE from my FitBit.

And since TDEE means maintenance, if it really was fat being gained, then that means you guessed your activity level wrong and had TDEE wrong.

Yeah, I'm not really guessing, I go by my FitBit calculation, which isn't perfect of course but is still a lot more accurate than picking "lightly active" from a checklist.
    Oh, it would take 250 calories daily over TDEE to gain 1 mere pound of fat or LBM in 2 weeks. Anything faster is water weight.

That's why I've been experimenting in 6-week increments.

10 months at 1200+some exercise calories = .5 - 1 lb per week weight loss.
    6 weeks at or slightly under FitBit-calculated TDEE = an extra 1.5 lbs that wasn't going away regardless of sodium intake, TOM fluctuations, etc.
    8 weeks now at TDEE-20% = maintenance.

Meh. It's not so bad.
  • askeates
    askeates Posts: 1,490 Member
    Options
    When I changed over to TDEE-20% I was told to be patient. There will be some fluctuation up and down before the real losses will start. About 3-4 weeks, and that was right on the money!
  • MzManiak
    MzManiak Posts: 1,361 Member
    Options
    Same here. 1200+ eating back some exercise calories is how I lose .5 - 1 lb per week.

Eating TDEE-20% is actually maintenance for me, regardless of the fact that the math and physics there don't really make sense. if I raise my calories to my TDEE, I start gaining. C'est la vie, I guess.

Then... it's not your TDEE. :huh:
  • NovemberJune
    NovemberJune Posts: 2,525 Member
    Options

Gain what exactly?

And since TDEE means maintenance, if it really was fat being gained, then that means you guessed your activity level wrong and had TDEE wrong.

Yeah, I'm not really guessing, I go by my FitBit calculation, which isn't perfect of course but is still a lot more accurate than picking "lightly active" from a checklist.
    Oh, it would take 250 calories daily over TDEE to gain 1 mere pound of fat or LBM in 2 weeks. Anything faster is water weight.

6 weeks at or slightly under FitBit-calculated TDEE = an extra 1.5 lbs that wasn't going away regardless of sodium intake, TOM fluctuations, etc.

Meh. It's not so bad.

Then the fitbit is over-estimating your TDEE or you are eating more than you think. :)

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/872212-you-re-probably-eating-more-than-you-think
  • highervibes
    highervibes Posts: 2,219 Member
    Options
    200 extra calories/day should net you a gain of only 1400 calories per week (which is less than 1/2lb and this is assuming you were eating AT TDEE) Taking into consideration you were losing 1/2 at less calories, at BEST it should have eaten your deficit. This sounds like glycogen stores replenishing. Give it a few weeks before you write it off.
  • tracieangeletti
    tracieangeletti Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    It's water weight and it is normal. Frustrating but normal. Friday I was 123.6 and today I was 129.6. I ate at or under my calorie limit all weekend. The culprit? BACON. I eat bacon on the weekends, still fits my diet, and the sodium always makes me retain some water. Don't like seeing the heavier weight on the scale but not quite enough to stop eating my bacon!! lol
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    Gain what exactly?

Meh. It's not so bad.

Well, the question of what was gained exactly was in reference to water weight or fat, as most people don't know. Same question with losses, except there you can include muscle mass loss with water and fat loss if the deficit is too much. You could be losing 1 lb weekly, and 20% of that could be muscle mass because of bad combo of eating levels, foods, and exercise.

1.5 x 3500 (assumed fat gain) = 5250 excess calories over TDEE / 6 weeks = 875 weekly surplus / 7 days = 125 daily surplus on average.

That's the amount of inaccuracy in a day's worth eating and food labels.
    And if any of that was faster water weight gain for glucose, then even less was a true gain of bad weight. Gaining LBM is good, increased metabolism.

Your FitBit is assuming all non-moving time, sleeping and awake, is at the level of BMR burn, which is not correct as awake burns RMR level.

Anyway, if you don't have the same BMR as they are using, a decent amount of your time can be inflated calorie burn, by that much easily.

So your TDEE appears to be probably 100 less than what FitBit is telling you.

And depending on amount left to lose to healthy weight, 20% may be too much really too, risking muscle mass again.
  • joshdann
    joshdann Posts: 618 Member
    Options
    remember that TDEE, by every method available, is inherently inaccurate. It's a good ballpark, but you can't expect to be right on the money based on an impersonal formula. In reality, there is no real accurate formula. Muscles get more efficient or less efficient based on activity and strength level. BMR changes slightly every day. Water weight changes things. Chemical balances cause slightly different efficiencies in nutrient absorption on a daily basis. It may be only a handful of calories in one direction or another, but when you're talking about a 200-calorie change to hit the bullseye of some mythical number... it just doesn't work that way. Not to mention that your activity level is almost certainly different from day to day, and calorie counting is an imperfect science at best. One cup of milk will have a different calorie count from the next. A box of raisins might not weigh *exactly* the number of grams it says on the back. Chickens from one farm may have a gram or two more or less protein per 4 oz breast... and a breast is almost never 4oz on the nose. again, just it's just a few calories this way or that, but overall it is simply impossible to be perfectly accurate.

You have to pay attention to what you body is telling you. TDEE is an *estimate* and should be treated as such. Don't buy the hype. Use it properly, as an estimate, and remember that calorie counting is also an estimate. If you're not hungry at 1200 calories per day, you're getting enough of the vital nutrients, and you're seeing the results you want in BF%, the image in the mirror, and overall weight... why change it? On the other hand, if your body is telling you it needs more food, then by all means, feed it!
  • ebgbjo
    ebgbjo Posts: 821 Member
    Options
    Thank you everyone for your feedback. I greatly appreciate it. I am going to wait another week or two and if weight continues to go up, I will adjust my calories back down some.

Yes, I am trying to lose weight. My goal is 107, as of right now. I am NOT looking for huge weight loss gains each week. That just isn't realistic, or healthy, for someone at my height and weight.
  • thisgirlsonfire
    thisgirlsonfire Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    It's hard for someone who has a thyroid issue to lose weight until they get their thyroid regulated. I should know, I take synthroid for my hypothyroidism (Under-Active thyroid). You have a medical condition so you're a unique case. "ALL" and I mean "ALL" these internet TDEE Calculators do not take your thyroid condition into account when they shoot a TDEE number back out at you. Neither dose a spreed-sheet that was not created specifically with you in mind.

I would see my doctor first to get my thyroid regulated. Second, I would talk to my doctor about my TDEE and how that applies to weight lose. I only suggest this because I've done it.

My TDEE was incorrect. I saw on this thread someones TDEE-20% was their maintenance number. SAME HERE. Because your thyroid plays a key role in how your metabolism functions your TDEE Number may be incorrect? Only your doctor and a Licences Dietitian can make this assessment based on your medical history.

My TDEE was configured on these factors...... Age, height, current weight, Bone size (Body Frame), and (T-3 and T-4 thyroid count). No exercise was configured into the formula. Then when we input the desire weight I want to be (125) we got a calorie amount for that. I eat between those to numbers. Yo-Yo the calories is recommended even if an UNPROFESSIONAL will tell you other wise. I've been losing and am ( (9 LBS) from goal.

I'm surprise your not sick with not having your thyroid levels under control. I get really ill when my thyroid is off and my medication needs to be adjusted.

Good luck and get that thyroid regulated!!!!
  • ebgbjo
    ebgbjo Posts: 821 Member
    Options
    Thanks, thisgirlsisonfire :)

I have been to my physician. The thing is, we are military and move every two years and when we move, we are at military clinics that have different policies (some physicians will not prescribe Armour, some will, some will only do Synthroid and others will add in T3. It is always a fight. Then it is them not giving you enough medication to tide you over until next blood draw. (I mean, really, if my next blood draw is in 6 weeks, I don't understand being prescribed only 4wks worth of medication)

And for the record, I have dropped my caloric intake as I just feel that 1500, even 1400, is just too high for me. I would rather just have it at 1200 and eat back any of my exercise calories.

I am not sick really, just sleep all screwed up and I get winded very quickly. Back to doctors in two weeks. Joy!
    It's hard for someone who has a thyroid issue to lose weight until they get their thyroid regulated. I should know, I take synthroid for my hypothyroidism (Under-Active thyroid). You have a medical condition so you're a unique case. "ALL" and I mean "ALL" these internet TDEE Calculators do not take your thyroid condition into account when they shoot a TDEE number back out at you. Neither dose a spreed-sheet that was not created specifically with you in mind.

I would see my doctor first to get my thyroid regulated. Second, I would talk to my doctor about my TDEE and how that applies to weight lose. I only suggest this because I've done it.

My TDEE was incorrect. I saw on this thread someones TDEE-20% was their maintenance number. SAME HERE. Because your thyroid plays a key role in how your metabolism functions your TDEE Number may be incorrect? Only your doctor and a Licences Dietitian can make this assessment based on your medical history.

My TDEE was configured on these factors...... Age, height, current weight, Bone size (Body Frame), and (T-3 and T-4 thyroid count). No exercise was configured into the formula. Then when we input the desire weight I want to be (125) we got a calorie amount for that. I eat between those to numbers. Yo-Yo the calories is recommended even if an UNPROFESSIONAL will tell you other wise. I've been losing and am ( (9 LBS) from goal.

I'm surprise your not sick with not having your thyroid levels under control. I get really ill when my thyroid is off and my medication needs to be adjusted.

Good luck and get that thyroid regulated!!!!
  • laurelobrien
    laurelobrien Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    You probably lost muscle mass eating 1200 or less a day, which means you lowered your BMR. I don't mean starvation mode, just less muscle to burn calories. as a result, an internet-calculated TDEE does not reflect YOUR actual TDEE.

Also consider that increasing your carb intake can cause water retention, not just salt. eating more food will inherently cause that to happen for a little while, as will ramping up your exercise routines.
  • thisgirlsonfire
    thisgirlsonfire Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    We are Retired Military (USAF). My husband did 20 years. I know it's hard with Military doctors. If your not moving your PCM is moving and you're never able to build a solid relationship, so my heart goes out to you too. I too have the same issue if I eat high calories I start to feel sick. I am in normal range with medication for my thyroid but, I am on the lower end of normal range. So when you have people on these message boards saying bump, bump, eat TDEE, or TDEE-20% in may case their talking nonsense.

Tou do what you think is right for you and your health. Good luck and hang in there!
  • Penfoldsplace
    Options
    0.5 pounds a week seems reasonable to me, If that was working then maybe it's worth sticking with? Also weight loss cans stall due to a number of reasons and things like water retention will effect your weight ins. You won't have gained fat on a deficit. Personally I concentrate on my measurements and clothes size rather than weight as natural fluctuations on the scales can be discouraging.
  • AJinBirmingham
    Options
    Change it back.

(Often, the simplest, most obvious answers are also the best.)