Anyone gluten free?

Options
jbetch
jbetch Posts: 26 Member
Recently read a posting on another site about removing gluten from her diet and her health (and weight) changed drastically. Am interested in learning more. Seems difficult and very limiting. To be honest, I couldn't even begin to tell you what foods would even contain it other than maybe pasta. Please share your thoughts, experiences, opinions. Thanks!

Replies

• robin949598
    robin949598 Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    I removed gluten from my diet about 3 weeks ago. I had to do it for health reasons. I am very happy to say that I have not had any stomach issues in over 2 weeks and I feel soooo much better. My energy has increased which means I have started to exercise more, so I have lost a few pounds without too much extra effort. Going gluten free can be challenging-you need to really read labels. Most days, for me it is easier to make meals from scratch. Good luck to you!
  • james6998
    james6998 Posts: 743 Member
    Options
    My wife and i went gluten free about 1 year ago. She was getting sick being intolerant. Her doctor suggested if she wanted a big jump in weight loss to try and avoid, white rice, pasta, breads, white potatoes. She did end up dropping 30lbs since last year but she wasnt on a diet. Its really about how gluten affects you. Do you get upset stomach after eating bread or pasta, potatoes or rice?
  • jbetch
    Options
    Thank you for your feed back.
  • jbetch
    Options
    James...no i dont get sick or really have any stomach issues, unless i eat too much or too much grease so since ive cleaned up my eating been pretty good. My thoughts were just over all health. The posting i read said she rid herself of fibromyalga so i did a little more research and found it can tigger many other things... ibs, RA, fibro., just to name a few. So i thought i would get others opinions.
  • CorlissaEats
    CorlissaEats Posts: 493 Member
    Options
    It is incredibly limiting but if its necessary for health than its totally worth it!

PS. there is no gluten in rice or potatoes. It comes from wheat, rye and barley. There are traces of it in a majority of the processed food in north america so getting rid of it completely from your diet is a lot fo work and a lot of extra time in grocery stores reading every single label!

If you are cutting it out as a fad diet then I would have to say its statistically proven to be unhealthy since most people just end up substituting empty carb options in place of bread and pasta instead of eating more fruits, vegetables, legumes, and lean proteins. If you do have a reaction to gluten and go on the diet you will definitely see an immediate change as bloating goes away and you stop retaining as much water- beyond that it hasnt been a miracle "diet" for me.

However the health improvements for me have been amazing. I don't have as many headaches, nausea, stomache pain, gas and other bowel issues, bloating, balance issues, brain fog, concentration issues, memory retention, depression, anxiety, nosebleeds, pinching in my toes, and more. I also sleep better since I went off it. They say a majority of diseases and cancers actually start from the gut so treating it right will make a difference in the long run. Wheat today is so genetically modified that it isnt the same thing our grandparents were eating. It used to contain 5% gluten protein, now wheat is around 50% gluten and many people are starting to react.
  • pittjenn
    pittjenn Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    My gut is much happier being gluten free. When I consume gluten, I get bloated and sick, accompanied by feeling hungover the next day. Not cool!

While other grains like rice and corn do not cause me the same issues, I do replace starches in my diet with more complex carbs when I'm trying to lose weight. I load up on veggies with my meat and skip the bread-y side, or serve quinoa instead of rice, etc. For myself, weight loss comes from eating nutritionally dense foods so that I can feel full and not have a 9pm binge.
  • askeates
    askeates Posts: 1,490 Member
    Options
    I have been gluten free for 2 weeks today, mine was for health reasons. I've seen a minor weight loss, but mostly what I have seen is I have more energy, I sleep better at night, my stomach is not always bloated, and at the end of the day my stomach is not feeling gross and cramping. My joint pain and headaches have lessened as well. It is definitely not an easy road to take because so many things have gluten that you never even thought about.

The biggest change is no more quick easy meals, however, it's worth it because I feel so much better. It takes a lot of time and research, but for me it is definitely worth it. Even my 18 year old son said to me yesterday that he is happy that eliminating gluten is making me feel better, he is noticing that my energy level is better and that I am not as grumpy as I was before.... It's amazing how cranky you can be when you aren't feeling well.
  • Dragonwolf
    Dragonwolf Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    James...no i dont get sick or really have any stomach issues, unless i eat too much or too much grease so since ive cleaned up my eating been pretty good. My thoughts were just over all health. The posting i read said she rid herself of fibromyalga so i did a little more research and found it can tigger many other things... ibs, RA, fibro., just to name a few. So i thought i would get others opinions.

There's quite a bit of research that suggests that cutting out grains in general (not just the gluten-containing ones) can have positive health benefits (assuming, here, that you don't just substitute it all with "fake-wheat"). The gluten, lectin, and massive amounts of carbs in a grain-heavy diet have all been linked to systemic inflammation (which generally leads to and/or exacerbates arthritis, fibro, and other inflammation-related diseases). There's also evidence that suggests that as much as 1/3 of the human population has some level of gluten intolerance or sensitivity (see also: "subclinical gluten intolerance"), which can cause IBS, GERD, and other GI issues.

Many of the issues people see relief from when cutting out grains (or even just gluten) are those low-level issues that people just chalk up to "getting older" or "part of life" - the random knee pain, the lower back pain, periodic headaches, lethargy, etc. It all depends on how your body reacts to them, though, so some things might clear up while others still persist, and some things might take longer to subside than others.

Check out paleo recipes in addition to the standard gluten-free ones. They get pretty creative with things (since they cut out all grains, and often dairy as well) and will generally use whole food ingredients, both of which helps with keeping the "fake-wheat" from completely taking the place of regular wheat products.

In my experience, it's only limiting if you let it be so. I've found that after a while, the old gluten/grain filled stuff is no longer all that appetizing, even if it doesn't cause immediate disastrous effects.
  • TribeHokie
    TribeHokie Posts: 711 Member
    Options
    If you don't have a medical reason to go gluten free then I wouldn't suggest doing it. As others have stated it is a lot of work to keep up with. Also, products that are made gluten free (like muffins and crackers, not bananas) often have no calorie difference from their gluten-inclusive counterparts and are usually more expensive. The current gluten free movement is on the verge of being a fad diet because so many people are trying it for weight loss when the truth is that gluten has nothing to do with your weight. Generally the people who are losing weight when going gluten free are actually adopting more of an atkins/south beach diet and aren't consuming gluten free substitutes, so it makes sense that they are losing weight because gluten-inclusive products are usually more calorie dense than naturally non-gluten food like fruits and veggies.

So try it if you want to, but understand that it is your calorie deficit that is causing you to lose weight not the absence of gluten.
  • spickard34
    spickard34 Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    If you don't have a medical reason to go gluten free then I wouldn't suggest doing it. As others have stated it is a lot of work to keep up with. Also, products that are made gluten free (like muffins and crackers, not bananas) often have no calorie difference from their gluten-inclusive counterparts and are usually more expensive. The current gluten free movement is on the verge of being a fad diet because so many people are trying it for weight loss when the truth is that gluten has nothing to do with your weight. Generally the people who are losing weight when going gluten free are actually adopting more of an atkins/south beach diet and aren't consuming gluten free substitutes, so it makes sense that they are losing weight because gluten-inclusive products are usually more calorie dense than naturally non-gluten food like fruits and veggies.

So try it if you want to, but understand that it is your calorie deficit that is causing you to lose weight not the absence of gluten.

I totally agree. I had to go Gluten and Super low Sugar for my bladder. I really does make you lose weight at first but the issue is all the prepacked food have just as much if not more sugar in them, same with cals. Sugar is awful and will make you gain weight. If you want to give up anything give that up it has no nutritional value. My Dad has Celica and was 109 when he was diagnosed and since eating gluten free is now 180! Bottom line is it is a fad like anything it is not some mircle diet, Eat clean, you can eat whole wheat bread and not gain its when you eat donuts and crap that people gain weight.
  • Dragonwolf
    Dragonwolf Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options

I totally agree. I had to go Gluten and Super low Sugar for my bladder. I really does make you lose weight at first but the issue is all the prepacked food have just as much if not more sugar in them, same with cals. Sugar is awful and will make you gain weight. If you want to give up anything give that up it has no nutritional value. My Dad has Celica and was 109 when he was diagnosed and since eating gluten free is now 180! Bottom line is it is a fad like anything it is not some mircle diet, Eat clean, you can eat whole wheat bread and not gain its when you eat donuts and crap that people gain weight.

Likewise, his blood sugar going up was not because he went gluten free, but because he replaced it with "fake-wheat" (ie - wheat substitutes), instead of simply choosing the foods that are naturally gluten-free. It's not unlike the low-fat prepared foods - they have to replace it with something to make it edible.

Also, gluten free does not necessarily equate to a caloric deficit. My dinner the other day of steak and potatoes was gluten-free, but I can pretty much guarantee that it had quite a bit of calories! Yes, many foods that are naturally gluten-free tend to be less calorically dense, but not all of them. It's all in what you eat.
  • lkirschner1
    Options
    I have been 100% gluten free for medical reasons (gluten allergy) since October 15, 2012. I'm 42 years old and I can honestly say that this was the best thing that I've ever done! I wish I did it 20 years ago! I had unexplained allergies and horrible headaches 3-4 times/week my entire life, and in the past 15-20 years I had unexplained skin rashes, major fatigue (especially during the last 5-10 years), gastrointestinal issues, frequent colds and infections, focus/concentration issues and a ton of other problems. I was on 3 allergy meds/day plus an acid reflux med and had started feeling pretty hopeless because no one could figure out what was wrong with me and people just thought I was always sick. Finally, my primary doctor worked with a gastroenterologist to figure out what had been causing me so many problems for all of these years. He is now using me as a case study to show how big of an impact gluten can have on a person's life. I would WHOLEHEARTEDLY recommend a gluten-free diet to anyone exhibiting those symptoms, but only under the direction of a doctor (mainly because if you are going to do any tests for gluten issues or celiac disease, you should NOT cut out gluten during the 6 weeks before the tests or they might not be accurate).

However, I would not necessarily recommend that just anybody cut out gluten 100% without a medical reason. I think that decreasing your gluten intake somewhat would probably be valuable because a lot of gluten-containing foods have a high glycemic index or a lot of sugar/carbs--but not sure that 100% elimination makes sense for most people. First of all, it's hard to do if you're not accustomed to dealing with dietary restrictions or food allergies. Also, as some other posters have mentioned, a lot of gluten-free foods aren't all that healthy either. But I definitely think that most folks would benefit from cutting back on gluten to some extent. If your doctor has indicated that you don't need to be tested for more serious gluten issues (celiac disease), you could try doing an elimination diet for a few weeks and then gradually start eating it again. For me, I noticed a huge difference within 2-3 days of cutting out gluten and when I did a "challenge" and tried it again 4 weeks later, I immediately felt like crap and all of my symptoms returned right away.

My results since going GF...taking NO meds, have tons more energy, zero headaches (didn't even know how it was to go headache-free for a week, let alone a year!!!), haven't had a cold at all in the last year, my hands are no longer dry, bleeding and raw, no more itchy scalp, no bathroom issues, no bloating and I lost 10 pounds (went down almost 4 pants sizes) within the first 4 weeks. I will NEVER bring gluten back into my life, except for the occasional accidental slip up. Best thing I've ever done, hands down!!!! Feel free to friend me or send me a message if anyone wants to learn more about a GF lifestyle or if you are dealing with any of those issues.
  • shannashannabobana
    shannashannabobana Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    It's really hard to get rid of all gluten if you buy processed foods/eat out because they put flour in a bunch of stuff, but if stick to meats, cheese, veggies, rice and potatoes you can have a pretty balanced diet with no (or minimal) gluten. Basically stear clear of wheat - which is bread, cake, pasta, etc..

If looking for recipes, check out paleo/primal blogs as they're basically doing gluten free diets (among other things).
    If you are cutting it out as a fad diet then I would have to say its statistically proven to be unhealthy since most people just end up substituting empty carb options in place of bread and pasta instead of eating more fruits, vegetables, legumes, and lean proteins.
    Wait, what??? Are you thinking bread and pasta are not empty carb options and stuff like potatoes would be? I'm not really sure what statistics you are referencing.
  • jbetch
    Options
    Thank you everyone for your feedback. Im have enjoyed reading each and every comment. I think I will continue with my low fat, with little to no sugar, way of eating, but will share this information with others who I feel could benefit. I will, however, try to find better options for side dishes other than boxed ones. I know those are not good choices but are convenient.

I am glad each of you found some relief to your ailments. The body is an amazing thing and will tell you what it needs.
  • CorlissaEats
    CorlissaEats Posts: 493 Member
    Options
    It's really hard to get rid of all gluten if you buy processed foods/eat out because they put flour in a bunch of stuff, but if stick to meats, cheese, veggies, rice and potatoes you can have a pretty balanced diet with no (or minimal) gluten. Basically stear clear of wheat - which is bread, cake, pasta, etc..

If looking for recipes, check out paleo/primal blogs as they're basically doing gluten free diets (among other things).
    If you are cutting it out as a fad diet then I would have to say its statistically proven to be unhealthy since most people just end up substituting empty carb options in place of bread and pasta instead of eating more fruits, vegetables, legumes, and lean proteins.
    Wait, what??? Are you thinking bread and pasta are not empty carb options and stuff like potatoes would be? I'm not really sure what statistics you are referencing.

That actually wasnt my point. Most of the people in this thread have made similar comments to mine, maybe mine just wasn't succinct. Sorry.

But I was referencing a feature program that was done on NBC or Fox or similar station about a year and a half ago that talked about the number of people jumping on the bandwagon and filling their carts with gluten-free "convenience foods" instead of increasing their fresh food intake. It was about an hour long, contained interviews with a few noted doctors. It was more refering to those who dive into the lifestyle with no planning, medical or nutritional support, or an understanding of a healthy balanced diet. Its the same with Vegetarian and Vegans- there are some healthy people and some very unhealthy people on those diets. The difference is between self education on health and those who just look for the label on products blindly.

It was a while ago now- and much of the other reading/research I have done supports the core messages so I don't think its hocum. Gluten free is a serious endeavor. I am a firm supporter/believer in it, but I always caution everyone. :smile:
  • nkrasinski
    Options
    I am not gluten free, but my girlfriend is by necessity. Right now she is on the paleo diet; which is gluten free, but also has some other health benefits. There are some good teaser recipes and a link to a full paleo recipes cookbook at this youtube video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ngIr3jZ2kYk
  • cgm117
    cgm117 Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    I have been gluten free since 2009 due to a diagnosis of Celiacs. It is a very restrictive diet but for those with health issues it makes a great difference. The key to going gluten free and not gaining weight is to refrain from eating all of the processed gluten free substitutes as they are full of sugar and fat (not to mention expensive). For me, the side effects of eating even a small amount of gluten are enough to keep me in line, otherwise it is a difficult diet to adhere to.