Cosplay/Costumes and Weight Loss

Options
This is a tad embarrassing...but does anyone have experience with costumes and weight loss?
I have been working on making a light-weight armour dress for a humanized companion cube cosplay for Youmacon, but am afraid to piece it together until way closer Halloween. I am just so unsure of what size I will be in October.

The "base" clothes that the armour will go over is all "one size fits all" and elastic-so there's no worry there. I just am worried about the armour itself. realistically I probably will only lose another 20 lbs by then, but it's really hard to predict what my measurements would be.

Measurements currently are
48" bust
36" waist
50" hips

I am 5'9 and weigh 260ish

A month or two ago my waist was two inches bigger and my hips were three inches bigger. But I know changes slow down a bit after the initial lifestyle changes.

I have a steel boned underbust corset that may or may not be too big for me now, but I have been thinking of lacing it up and then taking my measurements in that, and then building the armour on those measurements. (for those who don't know corsets generally can take about 4 inches off your waist) since my waist is already smaller it would only take an inch or two off at this point.

Any advice would be awesome! Thanks in advance.

Replies

• Gnawcraft
    Gnawcraft Posts: 732 Member
    Options
    I'm afraid I can't help but your outfit sounds AMAZING ^_^ Good luck getting it finished!
  • Rachelphobia
    Options
    I'm afraid I can't help but your outfit sounds AMAZING ^_^ Good luck getting it finished!

Thanks!
  • JAGWIRE13579
    Options
    I am afraid I can not help you in any way. I have been interested in learning more about cosplay not because I want to participate but because I would like to learn about the construction of the different costumes and props. I wondered if you had somewhere you got information to get started. I imagine different genres have different places to get started. Good luck with your question. You may want to generalize a bit to include any seamstress or costume maker. Thanks.
  • WalkingMermaid_
    WalkingMermaid_ Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    Real tricky and I imagine it'll all be guess work... Your costume sounds amazing though, I used to go to heaps of Xena conventions and the costumes were always incredible. I love cosplay :bigsmile:

Good luck with it all! Hope everything works out :flowerforyou:
  • rachseby
    rachseby Posts: 285 Member
    Options
    I've been trying to figure this out too...I want to buy a halloween costume this year, but want to wait until the last minute due to losing weight...how long can you wait before you have to put it together?
  • Rachelphobia
    Options
    I am afraid I can not help you in any way. I have been interested in learning more about cosplay not because I want to participate but because I would like to learn about the construction of the different costumes and props. I wondered if you had somewhere you got information to get started. I imagine different genres have different places to get started. Good luck with your question. You may want to generalize a bit to include any seamstress or costume maker. Thanks.

Yeah I am really seeking advice for anyone with experience making clothes in general. But armour is not stretchy or forgiving at all so I really am hoping someone on here has advice for that!

I'm 19 and have cosplayed since I was 12. I don't have a sewing machine so I am in love with the hot glue gun and liquid stitch!
    I currently am studying electroluminescent light! My recent costumes have built in neon lights!
    To get started you really just need to see what sort of costume you want to make and then pinpoint different ways to do it.
    To start on my armour I literally googled "cheap handmade armour" and learned you can make armour out of craft foam! (that cheap little kid arts and crafts stuff)
  • Rachelphobia
    Options
    Real tricky and I imagine it'll all be guess work... Your costume sounds amazing though, I used to go to heaps of Xena conventions and the costumes were always incredible. I love cosplay :bigsmile:

Good luck with it all! Hope everything works out :flowerforyou:

Thanks!
  • HappyStack
    HappyStack Posts: 802 Member
    Options
    The nerd in me loves this thread.

How many inches have you lost with your 10lb loss? I imagine it would be about the same again, but it'd be hard to know where the weight will come off in 10-20lbs. You could have a smaller bust with the same waist/hip measurement or vice versa. And I imagine with some elasticated undergarments, you'll realistically lose an inch or two with that, as well.
  • billsica
    billsica Posts: 4,741 Member
    Options
    If you have to spend all that time making it, then not know if it will fit at the end. That sounds a bit risky to me. Just go with a more traditional companion cube this year, and make the skin tight one next.

OTAKON0958.jpg
  • Rachelphobia
    Options
    I've been trying to figure this out too...I want to buy a halloween costume this year, but want to wait until the last minute due to losing weight...how long can you wait before you have to put it together?

I am the queen of last minute throwing it all together. Huge procrastinator >__< So honestly I can probably wait until the week of the assemble. But this is a 100+ hour project and I will need to finish it with a few weeks to spare so that I may adjust the sizing and troubleshoot. I will probably freak out and run around like a crazy woman at that point!
  • Rachelphobia
    Options
    The nerd in me loves this thread.

How many inches have you lost with your 10lb loss? I imagine it would be about the same again, but it'd be hard to know where the weight will come off in 10-20lbs. You could have a smaller bust with the same waist/hip measurement or vice versa. And I imagine with some elasticated undergarments, you'll realistically lose an inch or two with that, as well.

The elastic undergarments are just a tank top and pink frilly petticoat with an elastic waist band, not shapewear. I probably should have specified. So it wont help me much there.

I have lost an inch of my bust, 2 inches off my waist, and 3 off my hips. I carry all my weight in my chest/hips/thighs so those numbers are the places I'm a bit weary of right now.
  • Rachelphobia
    Options
    If you have to spend all that time making it, then not know if it will fit at the end. That sounds a bit risky to me. Just go with a more traditional companion cube this year, and make the skin tight one next.

OTAKON0958.jpg

Ahh, the dreaded box costume. My armour will by no means be skin tight, It resembles leather and will just fit as standard amour.

I am using this method: http://entropyhouse.com/penwiper/costumes/helmsdeep.html
  • LadyZephyr
    LadyZephyr Posts: 286 Member
    Options
    You can't predict what size you'll be and I strongly suggest not crafting a cosplay around a predicted outcome, as it could end in disappointment.
    Couldn't you make the armour adjustable?
    I have a couple of cosplay items that no longer fit and it is devastating - I have a pair of very expensive tuxedo trousers from a Sebastian Michaelis cosplay that I never finished, that are now too big, and I have a latex Harley Quinn catsuit that is very unforgiving on any lumps and bumps! Those two items alone cost me hundreds.
    Cosplay can be super expensive and time consuming, so if I were you I'd just wait for a while, see how your measurements change, and make the costume closer to the date you want it finished, with of course, time to spare for any adjustments.
    I managed to make (from scratch) a Silent Hill nurse costume in a day, and a Yuri Lowell costume in a few days. Not as tricky as armour, but it CAN be done if you're motivated!
  • BattleTaxi
    BattleTaxi Posts: 752 Member
    Options
    Make it in separate adjustable pieces for interior. Sounds like you're on point already with a lace up adjustable bodice/corset. Just need to make sure the cube exterior can adjust if needed so its not lopsided when you put it on. If that makes sense.. Could be picturing the concept a bit different in my head.

Once you start getting into more form fitting stuff like full armor, fursuits, etc. That's when you have to just make last minute alterations and pray it doesn't look hosed! :S
  • creech6317
    creech6317 Posts: 869 Member
    Options
    If your corset can take a couple inches off your waist, can't you make your armour to the size you think you will be and then if you aren't quite there by halloween, make up the difference with the corset?
    Just an idea so that you can get started on the armour.
    I may be way off, but it could be an option.
  • Rachelphobia
    Options
    You can't predict what size you'll be and I strongly suggest not crafting a cosplay around a predicted outcome, as it could end in disappointment.
    Couldn't you make the armour adjustable?
    I have a couple of cosplay items that no longer fit and it is devastating - I have a pair of very expensive tuxedo trousers from a Sebastian Michaelis cosplay that I never finished, that are now too big, and I have a latex Harley Quinn catsuit that is very unforgiving on any lumps and bumps! Those two items alone cost me hundreds.
    Cosplay can be super expensive and time consuming, so if I were you I'd just wait for a while, see how your measurements change, and make the costume closer to the date you want it finished, with of course, time to spare for any adjustments.
    I managed to make (from scratch) a Silent Hill nurse costume in a day, and a Yuri Lowell costume in a few days. Not as tricky as armour, but it CAN be done if you're motivated!

thanks so much for the advice! You're right I really cant predict any outcome-there's no telling. I will wait and maybe start up in October then. That would give me roughly a month to craft and assemble. And I have done almost all my previous cosplays last minute...so I guess it won't scare my cosplay groupmates too much!
  • Rachelphobia
    Options
    Make it in separate adjustable pieces for interior. Sounds like you're on point already with a lace up adjustable bodice/corset. Just need to make sure the cube exterior can adjust if needed so its not lopsided when you put it on. If that makes sense.. Could be picturing the concept a bit different in my head.

Once you start getting into more form fitting stuff like full armor, fursuits, etc. That's when you have to just make last minute alterations and pray it doesn't look hosed! :S

yeah that makes since! and ohhh fursuits are SO COOL. I would have no idea how to even approach that! I have seen some so lovely (with led lights, skyrim armour, etc) I have so much respect for those guys!
  • Rachelphobia
    Options
    If your corset can take a couple inches off your waist, can't you make your armour to the size you think you will be and then if you aren't quite there by halloween, make up the difference with the corset?
    Just an idea so that you can get started on the armour.
    I may be way off, but it could be an option.

Yep that's what I am thinking! I fit the armour to the corset and wear the corset if need be. But as others have said I may want to make my armour more adjustable and forgiving :D
  • Koholint
    Koholint Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    If I were you, I would make something that fits me now. You never know what could happen between now and then. Cosplay is too expensive and too time consuming to end up with that kind of disappointment.
    Besides... Like now, I personally wouldn't buy clothing that I only *hope* to fit into (as in, more than 1 size too small) because when I lose more weight, I don't even know how my body shape will change...

Anyway, like some other people are saying, you can try to make one part a bit adjustable and it might be better for you that way. It's probably a good idea to wait until October like you said you might do. (: Hope it works out for you!
  • Koholint
    Koholint Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    I so want to see your Yuri Lowell costume. Judging by your icon, you would rock!